Global NCAP Asks For Withdrawal of Datsun Go From India

Thread Starter #1
In a sensational and unprecedented move, the Chairman of Global NCAP - Max Mosely, has written to Renault - Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn saying, "As presently engineered the Datsun Go will certainly fail to pass the United Nation's frontal impact regulation. In these circumstances I would urge Nissan to withdraw the Datsun Go from sale in India pending an urgent redesign of the car's body-shell."

Link:Global NCAP Asks For Withdrawal of Datsun Go From India - News

It is surprising that such requests were not made for the Alto and Nano. Probably, Nissan being an international player, global NCAP found it right to recommend them from selling a potential death trap.

Global NCAP also added that adding safety features like Airbags would be redundant for, the structure of the car is flawed.

It will be interesting to see Nissans response to GNCAP's recommendation.

That is a bit over the top from GNCAP here. And why only Datsun Go ? Why not Alto, Nano, or indeed all base variants of all cars which have been manufactured in India and tested at GNCAP ? Why doesnt Max Mosely write to Cyrus Mistry ?
I would like to see the Bajaj 3-seater Autorickshaw tested under NCAP and get a reaction from Max Mosely.
Dont get me wrong I dont support the debasing of car manufacturing standards at all, and in fact in a separate post, mentioned that a car like Go+ should not be launched in India. But I would like justice to be done in a uniformed manner.
Just because Nissan/Datsun doesnt quite have the clout in Indian consumer minds like a Maruti Suzuki, doesnt mean it is the chief villain here.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
That is a bit over the top from GNCAP here. And why only Datsun Go ? Why not Alto, Nano, or indeed all base variants of all cars which have been manufactured in India and tested at GNCAP ? Why doesnt Max Mosely write to Cyrus Mistry ?
I would like to see the Bajaj 3-seater Autorickshaw tested under NCAP and get a reaction from Max Mosely.
Nissan/Datsun doesnt quite have the clout in Indian consumer minds like a Maruti Suzuki, doesnt mean it is the chief villain here.

Very valid point raised by Ace, Why just Datsun Go? Aren't Maruti and other players in India not guilty of making sub-standard body shells and launching vehicles without any safety measures?

In the same NCAP test the Indian Swift did equally bad then why is it not being informed to Maruti to stop producing thin tin boxes in name of cars?

This is really sad and all the more worrisome for us the end users who have to compromise on safety simply because of fancies of the OEMs.

Also, If NCAP chief points out at structural flaw and body shell, then I guess Honda Siel is also a party in making structurally weak cars. The 2009-2011 model of Honda City is the weakest in my view and I say this with 1st hand experience. Why is Honda not warned on basis of their structural/ body-shell's sub standard quality?

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Aren't Maruti and other players in India not guilty of making sub-standard body shells and launching vehicles without any safety measures?
You should read the report a second time - Why is Datsun Go unsafe?
The difference between the Go and the other vehicles lies in the total collapse of the Go in the test.
The other cars fared better in the tests. The injury could be fatal to the driver in all cars tested. But in the Datsun Go, the structural failure is such that it is likely there will be no survivors in case of a frontal collision.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The the difference between the Go and the other vehicles lies in the total collapse of the Go in the test.
The other cars fared better in the tests. The injury could be fatal to the driver in all cars tested. But in the Datsun Go, the structural failure is such that it is likely there will be no survivors in case of a frontal collision.
I accept your premise VM but beg to differ on the conclusion. In the same NCAP test Swift from Maruti received "Zero" rating when its frontal collision took place at 64km/h. The zero rating to Swift was provided when it was found lacking of driver and passenger safety. With a vehicle getting Zero star, I don't think a passenger would be able to survive in it either. All I am saying is, Nissan is no saint but there are other of the same league. So, If one of them is punished then all should be punished similarly.

Regards

Akash

I accept your premise VM but beg to differ on the conclusion. In the same NCAP test Swift from Maruti received "Zero" rating when its frontal collision took place at 64km/h.
Without airbags will automatically qualify for Zero safety rating,
Quoting from the report - It would receive another rating if airbags were present similar to the Latin American Swift made by Maruti which received 3 stars in safety
However, unlike the Go, in Swift fitting with airbags would improve occupant protection, Global NCAP
Maruti Suzuki Swift, Nissan Datsun Go fail crash tests; get zero-star safety rating - IBNLive

You should read the report a second time - Why is Datsun Go unsafe?
The difference between the Go and the other vehicles lies in the total collapse of the Go in the test.
There is no room for perceptive judgement in a scientific test. So either the Go is 0 star and Swift 1 star or they both are 0 stars. There cannot be a qualified comment under similar testing conditions.
I say, make a standard that minimum 3 star rated cars only to be accepted on Indian roads henceforth. That should include 2 front airbags and ABS. Later on, the standards can evolve. Like emission standards.

Datsun Go Gets 2-Star Rating in ASEAN NCAP

Datsun GO, despite being the best value for money car in its segment, failed to hit the good sales figures. A major reason for buyers keeping a distance from GO was its weak performance in global NCAP tests last year. Even NCAP asked Nissan to withdraw it from Indian market. In March 2015, it was reported that Nissan is working on the body shell for a safer GO. Now the new GO with a single driver side airbag and reinforced structure Go has scored 6.82 points for its Adult Occupant Protection (AOP) and got a 2-star rating for Child Occupant Protection (COP) with 46 percent compliance in ASEAN NCAP tests held recently.

Now, the GO is also class leading in NCAP score. So, how you see the future for this VFM hatchback ? Also, how you see it when Renault is launching Kwid in the same segment ?

Re: Datsun Go gets 2 star rating in ASEAN NCAP

The question is, will Renault by itself ask ncap to do a crash test for kwid and prove that its safe at the time of launch itself. To prove the reputation of company and to make it into sales they have to do the crash test.
In India once proved a dud is always a dud. So Datsun may not come back anyway.

Here is the link :

http:// http://www.aseancap.org/datsun-go/

In India once proved a dud is always a dud. So Datsun may not come back anyway.
That's true. Tata Nano is an example.

Although kwid is a tempting package. But I am skeptical about it's build quality and structural rigidity with a kerb weight of 660 kg. And, in India no matter what you offer, if it doesn't starts selling well, it won't end up selling well either e.g. zest/bolt. Unless, it has a Maruti-Suzuki logo on it.

When we have an SUV (really?) From the brand in 10 lac price bracket which scored 3 stars in Euro NCAP that also with curtain airbags (maybe even the 2 airbag version will also score less than 3 stars).
I guess Kwid will also manage to get 2 stars like the Go.

Now I am interested in looking at the scores of Alto k10 VXi with driver airbag. Let's see how this little giant from MSIL is made.

Now I am interested in looking at the scores of Alto k10 VXi with driver airbag. Let's see how this little giant from MSIL is made.
Have you been inside that giant ? Even I feel safer inside my 800.

Have you been inside that giant ? Even I feel safer inside my 800.
No offense Udit , but I personally feel we do have different perspective for "safer". Recently saw a crash test pic of alto k10 (airbag) with crushed A pillar !! That says the story(800) !!! Seriously 660kg Kwid ?? And the fun part is most of the armchair experts complain about high tensile sheet metal nowadays.

One of the key things to this safety argument is speed. At low speeds less than 80 kph, most of cars (Alto/Nano/Datsun/Kwid) will fare more or less the same is my guess.
That doesnt , however preclude their having safety measures. There are other things as well, such as seatbelt usage etc. The car can only do so much. People get injured/killed in a Mercedes if they arent wearing seat belts.

Top Bottom