Airbags & ABS To Become Mandatory For Cars in India

Thread Starter #1
Government has made it mandatory to all cars to have Airbags, ABS, child restraint system, seat belt reminders and reinforced body structures by October 2015.
Entry level car prices will rise by Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 35,000 from October next year .
05_11_14-metro1b.gif
India’s first vehicle safety standard, the India New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP), based on the widely accepted United Nations NCAP, will be notified early next year. The new NCAP regulations would require manufacturers to reinforce the car’s structure in line with European standards that will enable it to pass frontal and side impact crash tests at 56 kmph. Presently, passenger cars in Indian are equipped to withstand frontal crash tests at 46 kmph.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/busin...-bags-must-for-all-cars/article1-1282639.aspx

Last edited:
Re: Airbags will be Mandatory for all cars - October 2015

30k is nothing, If Maruti makes safety features mandatory tomorrow, its sales will not effect. People will keep buying their cars anyways. Whereas it will force other manufacturers to follow the suit. We expect this from India's largest car maker.

This is a welcome move from GOI to improve the safety of Indian passengers. But having said this they also give a 2 year timeline for OEM's to equip the existing cars to get all safety features mandatory. How is this possible? I doubt if they can do an after market fit of ABS and Airbags. If it happens then it is going to be something very new.

Long waited Bill launch from the Govt. Hope several others laws also will get facelifted very soon. Good Job Govt. [clap]

Now it is time to see more facelifted & discontinued car in market.

How the manufactures going to fix the features which is sold before Oct 2015?

Great news after long time. Good initiative by Government. I also wonder how are they going to fit safety features like Airbags in the cars sold before Oct 2015 and what will be the charges for same ?

It would be interesting to see how companies will differentiate their variants
for eg: Tata Zest XM (without Airbag) is just 18k lesser than XMS (with airbags)
So if they have to add airbags to XM, the price of XM will be equal to XMS [:D]

So it would be better for them to completely stop the production of XM. And this will be the case with many others

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

Once Airbags, ABS, child restraint system, seat belt reminders become mandatory all manufactures will have to rejig their variants.
This will make us Customers less confused as i see the number of variants will reduce.
The differentiator in variants will boil down to Alloys, ORVM Blinkers, ACC, Roof Rails and Fog Lamps., touch screen music system with Navigation and reverse camera, rear wiper and defogger , Dual tone exterior paint,DRL's, electrically adjustable ORVM's etc

Last edited:

Once Airbags, ABS, child restraint system, seat belt reminders become mandatory all manufactures will have to rejig their variants.
This will make us Customers less confused as i see the number of variants will reduce.
The differentiator in variants will boil down to Alloys, ORVM Blinkers, ACC, Roof Rails and Fog Lamps., touch screen music system with Navigation and reverse camera, rear wiper and defogger , Dual tone exterior paint,DRL's, electrically adjustable ORVM's etc
Add to that some features like Side & Curtain Airbags, Hill Hold, Cruise Control, Traction Control, ESP, EDL, etc might be offered as standard in top end version with significant difference in price.

Thread Starter #10

Add to that some features like Side & Curtain Airbags, Hill Hold, Cruise Control, Traction Control, ESP, EDL, etc might be offered as standard in top end version with significant difference in price.
In short, we could get the same car, as a variant, that is offered in other matured markets at a price.[clap]

Last edited:

A welcome move by the government. But this will make slight change until people don't know how to drive, keep distance between two vehicles. In India every one follows the other's bumper, if no solution is provided for this style of driving we see lot of cars with inflated air bags on the road.:please:

bhvm

Honoured Member

A welcome move by the government. But this will make slight change until people don't know how to drive, keep distance between two vehicles. In India every one follows the other's bumper, if no solution is provided for this style of driving we see lot of cars with inflated air bags on the road.:please:
agreed.
the problem also works other way round. I keep usually min 3-4 cars distance when running and 1 car distance when stopped. but other ******** try to get between me, canceling out the distance.

some errant bikers gave me scratches that way. idiots.

agreed.
min 3-4 cars distance when running and 1 car distance when stopped. but other ******** try to get between me, canceling out the distance.

some errant bikers gave me scratches that way. idiots.
1 car distance when stopped[surprise], forget this is metro cities. every one wants to go before the other. Bikers I hate them always pushes themselves in the distance between, no sense of braking. My ride also suffers their tortures[anger]

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

But having said this they also give a 2 year timeline for OEM's to equip the existing cars to get all safety features mandatory. How is this possible? I doubt if they can do an after market fit of ABS and Airbags.
How the manufactures going to fix the features which is sold before Oct 2015?
I also wonder how are they going to fit safety features like Airbags in the cars sold before Oct 2015 and what will be the charges for same ?
It is better late then never. Now to fix existing vehicles with Airbags and ABS the manufacturers have only 1 way as I see and i.e issuing a massive recall of base variants and some mid variants in a countable number and in batches. I don't think they will charge for it since its a Government directive. The manufacturers are just setting right their cost-cutting measures followed earlier.

Also, Many manufacturers from now on will re-think on manufacturing the base variant i.e L or E or J or D. The base model will now have all safety devices.

But this will make slight change until people don't know how to drive, keep distance between two vehicles. In India every one follows the other's bumper, if no solution is provided for this style of driving we see lot of cars with inflated air bags on the road.
I totally agree that driving pattern does need to improve and those who say we are tired of traffic and crib, they should realize that its common people like us who eventually drive in a certain way which probably effects the flow of traffic.

Though air-bag is a reactive device i.e sensor based, so these sensors are there to measure the intensity of crash and then deploy airbags. In a bumper to bumper traffic, the average speed is not too fast so minor rear ending wouldn't deploy them.

Thanks

Akash

It is better late then never. Now to fix existing vehicles with Airbags and ABS the manufacturers have only 1 way as I see and i.e issuing a massive recall of base variants and some mid variants in a countable number and in batches. I don't think they will charge for it since its a Government directive. The manufacturers are just setting right their cost-cutting measures followed earlier.

Also, Many manufacturers from now on will re-think on manufacturing the base variant i.e L or E or J or D. The base model will now have all safety devices.

I totally agree that driving pattern does need to improve and those who say we are tired of traffic and crib, they should realize that its common people like us who eventually drive in a certain way which probably effects the flow of traffic.

Though air-bag is a reactive device i.e sensor based, so these sensors are there to measure the intensity of crash and then deploy airbags. In a bumper to bumper traffic, the average speed is not too fast so minor rear ending wouldn't deploy them.

Thanks

Akash
I am not very sure how practical this would be. Never heard before that ABS and airbags could be installed after mass production. Maybe the car manufacturers themselves could clarify on this.

Adding to the above point, modern day airbags work by taking inputs not only from crash sensors but also through Occupant classification sensor (ocs) placed beneath the seats. In the event of crash if the passenger seat is vacant then the passenger side airbag should not deploy. Same is the case if an infant or an under weight kid is on the passenger seat then airbag should not deploy else it could be fatal to the kid. Taking all these aspects think how complex it would be for an OEM to install airbags in the current non-airbag variants.

Top Bottom