Rekindling of an Eternal Rivalry: Safari Storme vs New Gen Scorpio

Which is a better SUV:

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Now that the new Scorpio has been launched at a killer pricing, it is the best time to compare it with its arch nemesis the Safari(Storme).

Both these new gen SUVs retain the old body shell albeit heavily modified, and brand new hydroformed chassis- which is much stiffer and enhances the vehicles' dynamics.

In my view, here are the advantages of both over each other(we shall compare both in detail as we get to know more about the NG Scorpio):

Storme advantages over New Scorpio:

1. More Space and comfort.

2. Better ride(and handling?).

3. More road presence.

4. Disc brakes on all 4 wheels with ABS/EBD(compulsory in a ladder chassis SUV, IMO).

5. Safari brand that is synonymous with prestige.

Advantages of New Scorpio over Storme:

1. Lower entry price.

2. More bang per buck aka more VFM.

3. Front end looks cool with DRL sort of parking lamp and strong lines on the bonnet.

4. More compact, so it means better mileage, and hassle free parking in congested cities.

As of now these are the only things I can think of. Please bring forth your viewpoints, and kindly keep the debate polite and civilized(since both these SUVs have got hardcore fan following who sometimes do get carried over with strong emotions.)

Last edited:
Since I drive myself and I want an SUV that is a bit compact but not a FWD.

New Scorpio for now seems to be promising.

Rest I will keep my opinion on the pros and cons reserved until I experience the vehicle myself.

ASS,niggles/issues(as of now only for storme),market value should also be considered.

Though I don't own a scorpio but came to know that Scorpio's engine rev up more smoothly.

Though I don't own a scorpio but came to know that Scorpio's engine rev up more smoothly.
The torque spread of mHAWK is definitely better than the 2.2 vtt DiCOR and this makes the mHAWK more responsive throughout the rev range despite of having the figures lower than the DiCOR.

Well well well,

Just caught my attention.
As per some reports, there is almost 0 weight difference from the old to the new. Also worth noting is the weight difference between Scorpio and Storme. Only 40 kgs. Storme is more heavy. But then Storme is a significantly bigger car. And Storme is more powerful and torquie too.

1. More Space and comfort.
2. Better ride(and handling?).
Have you driven the NEW scorpio or just assumed ? Even if you did, I wouldn’t expect any different claim from you though.
This is what AutocarIndia has to say on these departments. Now don’t claim anything which you can’t support it with credible source.
The biggest area of improvement, however, is ride and handling. The new chassis and suspension have made a world of a difference to the dynamics of the car. For starters, the ride is better – the stiffer chassis has allowed the engineers to use more supple suspension aggregates. The Scorpio is now really pliant at low speeds and that takes the edge out of the bumps and potholes. The ride is also much flatter and more settled, there’s less pitching and bobbing, and for absolute ride comfort, it comes close to the mighty Innova.
3. More road presence.
Purely subjective. Anyways, to each his own.
4. Disc brakes on all 4 wheels with ABS/EBD(compulsory in a ladder chassis SUV, IMO).
Agreed. But the question is whether the New Scorpio’s braking isn’t good enough or not.
5. Safari brand that is synonymous with prestige.
No comments.
1. Lower entry price.
2. More bang per buck aka more VFM.
Agreed completely.
3. Front end looks cool with DRL sort of parking lamp and strong lines on the bonnet.
The front of Storme isn’t anything short of stunning too, but again subjective.
4. More compact, so it means better mileage, and hassle free parking in congested cities.
More compact = better mileage ? The reason for the better FE of new Scorpio ? Thanks for the enlightenment.
I would take the better mileage the new Scorpio offers any day though, if the performance isn’t affected with that.

You missed out a very important parameter here- the after-sale SUPPORT from the MANUFACTURER.

I definitely can’t afford to compromise on the efficiency of work and the treatment given at A.S.Ss/Dealerships during the ownership. If the response from the Manufacturer isn’t prompt and professional, owning any of these beasts is going to be a definite disaster on a long run for sure.

• It’s all about what a particular car has on offer at a given price point. New Scorpio wins here.
  • It’s all about whether the car has seen any improvements from its predecessor based on the customer feedback. That is an indication of whether the manufacturer is customer centric or not. New Scorpio wins again
  • It’s all about how good and efficient a particular manufacturer is, in supporting its customers post purchase at the dealerships. My experience with Mahindra has been top notch and the documentation here.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
For me, Scorpio was my first crush as an SUV but not anymore. I am a lover of balanced and not blunt and incomplete designs. I do not like the rear profile of either of the two. But in comparison to the new Scorpio, the Safari Storme is much better because it has been present prior to the coming of this new Scorpio and appears less radically transformed than the recent Scorpio.

In terms of interiors the Scorpio wins over Safari but overall in the present context the Safari Storme is good. It is yet to be seen with improved handling, how does this new Scorpio fare on the off-road driving.

Finally, as a follower of old school, I would say that at present the only sane SUV (in reasonable price range i.e 10-15 lac bracket) is the XUV500. Rest all others have been a mere victim of catastrophic surgeries.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

AMG

Suspended
1. More Space and comfort. see image in the other thread.

2. Better ride(and handling?). Negative. NEw Scorp rides and handles beautifully. See autocar review.

3. More road presence. The old safari had good roar presence. The storme doesnt have it. And the new scorpio with its butch face will totally annihilate it in this department.

4. Disc brakes on all 4 wheels with ABS/EBD(compulsory in a ladder chassis SUV, IMO). I dont think so.

5. Safari brand that is synonymous with prestige. Not at all sir. Its a safarim not a BMW

[confused][shock]

I disagree with the use of the term "significantly"
Well, 200 mm in length and 100 mm in width is big in car world. Now just look at Land Rover Discovery. It is humongous isnt it. BUT it is just as wide as the Storme.

To be speaking in dumb terms. Storme is a whole 2 cubic meters larger than Scorpio in volume. [;)]

And since people are quoting Autocars review here, then why not show the full picture. Why is there a selective quoting going on.

They also talk about the ill fitting plastics and panel gaps in the interior. They also talk about notchy gearbox, heavy clutch and unsettled ride at higher speeds.

All they say is its an improvement over the old car. Which should be expected.

I havent driven the new car, so I have no personal experience of it. But going by the review of 'so called' experts, I think therz not much to chose between Scorpio and the Storme. Other than the gizmos ie.

Last edited:
The biggest area of improvement, however, is ride and handling. The new chassis and suspension have made a world of a difference to the dynamics of the car. For starters, the ride is better – the stiffer chassis has allowed the engineers to use more supple suspension aggregates. The Scorpio is now really pliant at low speeds and that takes the edge out of the bumps and potholes. The ride is also much flatter and more settled, there’s less pitching and bobbing, and for absolute ride comfort, it comes close to the mighty Innova. It’s only when you gain momentum that this softly sprung SUV has more vertical movement.

The wider track has also helped make the new Scorpio feel more planted at high speeds. The Scorpio still gets tossed around a bit, but now it almost never feels unsettled, allowing you to drive with a lot more confidence.
complete para from ACI. Please don't say it is fantastic in ride as Storme. What ACI is noting is about the slow speed ride. No offense.

Now as a package Scorpio any day is better compared to the current Storme which is dieting in features. But still Storme scores over Scorpio in space and 'overall' ride and handling. Looks are purely subjective.

At the end of the day, Scorpio will surely sell more than Storme in this current avatar as well.

Thread Starter #13
Just saw Autocar review of the NG Scorpio. According to Renuka Kriplani the interior plastics are still hard, and brakes are spongy. Braking is one area where Storme shines, IMO.

Just saw Autocar review of the NG Scorpio. According to Renuka Kriplani the interior plastics are still hard, and brakes are spongy. Braking is one area where Storme shines, IMO.
While the plastics are hard, they are better finished than the Storme in most areas. Coming to braking, the lower CG of the Scorpio, and the improved suspension and chassis dynamics lend it far greater levels of controls than the Storme.

Apart from the greater in-cabin space for 5 people (the last row in the Storme is horribly cramped for adults) and the roof mounted ac vents, there are no other areas where it "really shines" IMO.

PS: I have driven both vehicles reasonably extensively in the same kind road and load conditions.

Top Bottom