Next Generation Skoda Rapid 2016

Thread Starter #1
The Facelift Skoda Rapid is due to be launched on 25th September 2014, but this is just a pre view of things to come from Skoda.

In 2016 Skoda plans to bring a all NEW Rapid. It is also planning to lower development costs by increasing local content on new gen Rapid, which will help the product compete better in segment, price-wise.
The new Indian-version of Rapid is expected to hit the market in the next two years and if the strategy works, it will be replicated for company's future products as well.
Learnings from the Rapid will be passed on the hatchback which Skoda plans for India, having shelved the NEW Fabia for India. This could happen not ealier than 2017-18.
Starting with Rapid, Skoda to localise cars for India | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Thread Starter #2
Skoda Rapid Facelift - Nov 2016

Skoda Rapid facelift launch on November 3.
Updated Rapid will new styling and equipment; expected to come with 110hp diesel engine.
0_468_700_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_ExtraImages_20161019063503_rapid_rendering copy.jpg

The heavily updated Rapid will get more angular styling upfront that includes an all-new nose, new front bumper and chin. The headlamps, grille and lower bumper will be squarer and more in line with the present-day Skoda offerings sold in India and globally, such as the Superb and the Octavia, and the slightly larger Rapid sedan sold internationally.

The facelifted Rapid will also get the updated 110hp 1.5-litre diesel engine. The engine sees a bump in power, thanks to heavy localisation and addition of a locally sourced, slightly larger turbocharger. On the inside, expect the refreshed Rapid to sport a mildly tweaked dashboard along with a larger touchscreen infotainment system.

Source

Last edited:
The Face lifted Rapid looks much better on pictures than Vento. This feels more masculine and the overall design language gels smoothly with rest of the car.
The only thing I want to see on a Rapid is to improve the colour and quality of interiors. The interiors though is sturdy however lacks the feel when you touch them.
The plastic gets peeled off when in contact with sharp edges of things we use.
A wide range of new colour choices from the existing boring colours would do a world of good. The maintenance costs of Skoda is always cheaper than VW.
The new Rapid is poised to overtake it's sibling Vento on sales.

The auto box would be the same DQ200 with annoying gear ratios where each gear hold longer than desired. The DQ250 6 speed wet clutch gear box is an expensive one and peak handling of 360Nm torque is not required for Rapid. I don't understand why people expect DQ250 on lower segments when VW has obviously not offered in any other markets in entry hatch or sedans.

VW is not serious about Indian market as you can see 80% of their range in India consists of Polo or its derivatives. I don't see them holding candle here for long. Vento started with 5000 units in 2011 and their total sales including Skoda and VW now is 5000. You can see what they have become in 5 years after they started off vying for 8-10 % market share.

BTW, DQ200 with revised gear ratios would hold well for Rapid. But I'm not sure if they do. Just a note on the new Rapid, the engine noise after increase in localised content of 1.5 Tdi is a bit more noisy from noisier current levels. I noted this when we took TD of a new Tdi Dsg Ameo for a friend. This was confirmed by the SA as well.

Overall insulation on the inside for Diesel Versions seem to have improved.

Last edited:
dq200 is unreliable thats it. I did hear some horrific stories of DQ200 failure plus you add that to skoda ASS wonderful experience (Icing on the cake).
I did read somewhere about DQ200 being dry clutch and hence its not suitable for Indian environment etc !

Experts please give your inputs here !

You ask unrealistic price for your products and then you expect it to sell ! Then comes the spares, They too are relatively expensive. I think newly launched ameo is also not doing much business here.
While maruti and hyundai are laughing all the way to the banks!

dq200 is unreliable thats it. I did hear some horrific stories of DQ200 failure plus you add that to skoda ASS wonderful experience (Icing on the cake).
I did read somewhere about DQ200 being dry clutch and hence its not suitable for Indian environment etc !

Experts please give your inputs here !
Dry clutch doesn't mean they are unsuitable for Indian Environment. It's just a myth, a false propaganda. Every bike you drive is with a dry clutch and they run lakhs of kms in India. It's the mechatronics of VW that makes it complicated.

It's just that the gear boxes are imported by VW that they become way too expensive with abnormal duties.

I drive a Vento Tsi and I'm no fan of Volkswagen either!

Skoda, or rather Volkswagen themselves acknowledged that DQ200 indeed suffers from overheating because of the nature of traffic in our cities. Looks like they have made some updates to the GB and now the number of breakdown has come down. But still there is concern about the long term reliability.

VW has identified synthetic oil to be the cause of the overheating issues and rightly switched to mineral oil long back. The rate of failures have come drastically down vouched by so many tsi on road these days. But the odd issues do keep popping up!

Excellent facelift by Skoda.Front looks like a premium-ish car.Definitely this will be in top list when we are planning to replace our 1,07,000 Kms run Vento TDI or will go for another Vento TDI,this time DSG or S-Cross 1.6 or Creta 1.6 only if budget allows us to buy the car.

Excellent facelift by Skoda.Front looks like a premium-ish car.Definitely this will be in top list when we are planning to replace our 1,07,000 Kms run Vento TDI or will go for another Vento TDI,this time DSG or S-Cross 1.6 or Creta 1.6 only if budget allows us to buy the car.
The car looks like it's all business , Timeless designs all day . ! Even if it sounds highly unlikely I Just hope it gets discs at the rear and a reverse camera would be a nice addition too .

Top Bottom