Nostalgic Hatchbacks in India: Daewoo Matiz, Fiat Palio, Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guyz,Bharath Here.I was in a Restaurant with my father that Evening and I saw These 3 neat cars parked in a Row (Left to Right)-

2001 Daewoo Matiz SG Peacock Green
2002 Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 Sports Metallic Silver
1985 Maruti 800 (SS80) Standard White

When I saw this,I was WHOAAA !! I became nostalgic and my father was with me.He gave me this Idea (Post in TAI).I couldn't take any pictures as my Dad's iPhone is full of his songs [frustration] !! (He is a Pro Singer).So I ask all owners of either one or even all 3 of 'em together he he :biggrin: to share your experiences with them.Thank you

350Z

Core Team
Re: 3 Legendary Hatchbacks in India: Daewoo Matiz, Fiat Palio, Maruti 800

When I saw this,I was WHOAAA !! I became nostalgic and my father was with me.He gave me this Idea (Post in TAI).I couldn't take any pictures as my Dad's iPhone is full of his songs !! (He is a Pro Singer).So I ask all owners of either one or even all 3 of 'em together he he to share your experiences with them.Thank you
Bharath, I appreciate that enthusiasm. You seem to be a hardcore fan of Matiz looking at some of your earlier posts. Is there a specific reason behind same?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Matiz and legend? I can understand 800 being one,but Matiz?! It wasn't anywhere near a legendary status.Could you elaborate on why you consider Matiz a legend?

I found Fiat Uno to be more charming hatchback than Fiat Palio. Palio is a very rare car in north India.

If Matiz is a legend, then the Santro, its far more successful competitor, is a Living Legend!!
The M800 is truly a legend amongst these cars.

Hello everyone, this is my first post on TAI!
The Matiz was one of the best packages at the time it was sold. It was a sure shot success and even gave its competitors a run for its money but the only reason for its failure was the downfall of Daewoo. By the time rumours went around regarding that Daewoo is going to be closed Matiz had already made its presence felt in the market and still people were buying it. Not only it was cheaper than the Santro but the overall design and space management was better though it had a smaller engine. This the possible explanation I can give.

Thread Starter #9

Thank you very much Mr.Roller for supporting Me and Matiz. And Welcome to TAI.Mr.Dharneesh and Mr.Acechip,This clearly indicates that you both don't know about the Matiz.Have you travelled in her ? Have you driven her ? Have you atleast seen The interior space of her ? You both tell me one car under 10 lak rupees now with Factory fitted Struts,Oxygen sensors,
lambda loops,Honeycomb frame reinforcer

Hi Bharath Appreciate your enthusiasm and love of the above cars.
I have a few questions, pardon my ignorance too as i have researched very little of the above cars.

1) Why did Daewoo put the oxygen sensors and lambda looping function in the matiz, what was the benefit , was it done so that it could meet stringent emission norms elsewhere and then brought as is here in india - are these components the only way to achieve emission norms or are there other benefits, if yes what were the benefits - i am guessing there are other ways too and it all depends on design philosophy and eventual outcome ? The others could manage emission norms as well those times and sell their cars, was there a need for them to have o2 sensors or is it just because matiz had it those days - great if you can justify benefits as well - it will be an interesting read, thanks.

2) Same for factory fitted struts - for what purpose did it exist in matiz and not others, did it give any special benefit to matiz ? What was the torsional rigidity benefit or was it weaker and hence they had to take this step ? The other cars not having it - does it make them as any safer or unstable ? Just wanted to again understand the philosophy and benefits.

3) What is honeycomb frame reinforcer ? pardon my ignorance again.

Thread Starter #11
OT-Some Bug Happened that I couldnt write more before your Post.I just ended Abruptly.Actually,I wrote much more than shown sir.Please address this bug.Thank you

As,Said,I am now very happy Mr.Iron Rock cuz Atlast someone asking questions about that brilliant little car !! Please ask as many question as you like.Thats what we all are here sir !!.

1) Well,I don't really know why But Maybe they wanted to bring things from abroad to India
with First-in-India-and-Segment Thingy.I also heard that it was brought for meeting
Norms.They didnt optimize the car for India.They just removed some another feautures
and changed the steering to Right side !! Nothing else !!

2) Struts were fitted in this Car to Improve the Handling.It was there globally for this car.
It had the Forward cab designwhich means,The Cabin's Design is stretched in the front so
inturn which makes the
Engine and components Tightly Jam-packed.Which also Increases the Height for
Headroom.So It will be as a Tallboy.And Daewoo didn't want that to happen.So,They
Installed Struts which help Improving the Handling is a Drastic way.It was tall but was
Really fun to drive around unlike other Tall boys.

3) This is A Crazy Feature !! The Frame Design is a Recto-Tubular Design.It had great
Strength but not enough as there is very less Crumple space.What they did,Was install
small Honey comb tube-like structure Inside the Frame !! Its not quite easily Visible
though but was a great feature as it improved the Safety.They also did that Dual crash
zone for the front to absorb most of the crash force and NOT send it into the Cabin

Thank you

If Matiz is a legend, then the Santro, its far more successful competitor, is a Living Legend!!
The M800 is truly a legend amongst these cars.
About Santro being a Living legend,How ??

Please read it here and Understand Santro was nothing but a small bug for Matiz !! Thank you

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/member-s-lounge/18223-what-made-you-make-car-your-most-favorite.html

Matiz and legend? I can understand 800 being one,but Matiz?! It wasn't anywhere near a legendary status.Could you elaborate on why you consider Matiz a legend?
Just see what it has Offered in its Times.Go Travel in a Matiz and Your thought will Change sir.Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you very much Mr.Roller for supporting Me and Matiz. And Welcome to TAI.Mr.Dharneesh and Mr.Acechip,This clearly indicates that you both don't know about the Matiz.Have you travelled in her ? Have you driven her ? Have you atleast seen The interior space of her ? You both tell me one car under 10 lak rupees now with Factory fitted Struts,Oxygen sensors,
lambda loops,Honeycomb frame reinforcer
You are welcome! I too own a 2000 Silver Daewoo Matiz SD and I have it till now... We loved the car too much and as a reason kept it with us when we bought the City recently even though we don't have space for two cars! :biggrin: So, I know what a wonderful product Daewoo had in its stable.

Thread Starter #13
Sir,Can you please write an Ownership report on her in TAI sir ? It will become the first Matiz i TAI !!.Defenitly Daewoo had a winner in its hands.Can you share some pics of the Matiz sir ? Thank you

As,Said,I am now very happy Mr.Iron Rock cuz Atlast someone asking questions about that brilliant little car !! Please ask as many question as you like.Thats what we all are here sir !!.
Absolutely your enthusiasm is contagious!

1) Well,I don't really know why But Maybe they wanted to bring things from abroad to India
with First-in-India-and-Segment Thingy.I also heard that it was brought for meeting
Norms.They didnt optimize the car for India.They just removed some another feautures
and changed the steering to Right side !! Nothing else !!
Why would this really be a first in the segment kind of USP ? - there is really nothing really special about this - only reason is meeting norms and also in some cases keeping the state of tune efficient - From an outcome and USP perspective I dont see anything special - unless you want to elaborate further and compare to competition.

2) Struts were fitted in this Car to Improve the Handling.It was there globally for this car.
It had the Forward cab designwhich means,The Cabin's Design is stretched in the front so
inturn which makes the
Engine and components Tightly Jam-packed.Which also Increases the Height for
Headroom.So It will be as a Tallboy.And Daewoo didn't want that to happen.So,They
Installed Struts which help Improving the Handling is a Drastic way.It was tall but was
Really fun to drive around unlike other Tall boys.
So its simple really the other cars didnt need it - Matiz needed it to improve stability/cornering - you commented that sub 10 lakh cars dont have this - i dont think they needed it in the first place - designs like matiz and even the merc A class(who can forget the elk test episode) are prone to toppling if you are not cautious.

3) This is A Crazy Feature !! The Frame Design is a Recto-Tubular Design.It had great
Strength but not enough as there is very less Crumple space.What they did,Was install
small Honey comb tube-like structure Inside the Frame !! Its not quite easily Visible
though but was a great feature as it improved the Safety.They also did that Dual crash
zone for the front to absorb most of the crash force and NOT send it into the Cabin
Again nothing crazy about this - the design had its weakness so they had to do something about it - can you share the safety or crash test results of the Matiz - it would be great to see it. I am keen to know if it was indeed safer than its peers. That would be an interesting read. I would then fully agree with you then on this point.

All in all - I love your enthusiasm a lot and the matiz is not a bad car, but lets substantiate this with strong reasons and if things are really a USP and segment first(and the advantages that they really present) - in this case i dont see it really. Manufacturers and owners can come up with some really fancy jargons - lets not get confused and over enthused - but rather understand their need - especially in this case other cars not having this is not really a problem at all and also not an advantage to matiz. Again my friend my intention is not to discourage but rather encourage a rational debate. Please please do take it in the right spirit. Thanks Again

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Sir,I understand you.I am not going to take it like that and all !! I am just a kid (15 Yr old) About the norms,The engine is originally a Suzuki.It wasn't refined and wasn't that green.So,They did everything they could to Re-design and Re-engineer,Re-Tune that old engine.They were successful but they did miss out one.Making it green.So,They introduced these features.It not only met the Euro 3 norms,It also the first hatch to meet Euro 3 norms !! (Remember Santro met Ero 3 after 5 months)You are so right.Even a Merc can topple if we are not cautious.There is an Youtube vid on its crash test.Please see that.If you really want to 'SEE' the advantage of Matiz,Please see the Cute design,Powerful AC,Interior Space esp at the Rear (Headroom and Legroom),Seating Position,Hieght,Safety,Handling.If you still think,Matiz is like any other hatchbacks,I am sorry ! I can't do anything sir.Its your opinion and I respect everyone's opinion.IMHO,I feel Matiz is way ahead of its times.The Handling,AC Package and Interior space still sets a standard for other hatchs to beat.Just wait for 3 more years.When I turn 18,I will be restoring a Matiz.It will always be my first Car,It will be with me as a family untill the end of my life.Its my favorite hatchback.Each time when I feel sad,I will go to one garage very near to my house,Where the boss owns a Matiz.I see it,I forget every worry in my life.Thank you

Top Bottom