Regional Transport Offices (RTO) To Be Abandoned!

Thread Starter #1
The central government was in the process of bringing in a law to scrap regional transport offices (RTO) and replacing them with an efficient alternative system in the next few months.
There are some outdated laws and systems which need to be scrapped. Systems like RTOs will soon be abolished; there is no need for RTOs. We have prepared a law which will be introduced soon to replace RTOs
RTOs will be scrapped soon, says Gadkari - The Times of India

Re: Regional transport offices (RTO)to be abandoned

Sounds something interesting. But until we come to know the complete picture of how the tasks of RTOs are manages without RTOs it is quite confusing and exciting.

Hope atleast this system is fool proof, keeps away the 3rd party agents who suck the blood of common citizens, and is easy to access even in metros, towns and villages as well.

I think it’s a good move, it can surely reduce corruption and introduce computerized system to a great extent

From the TOI article.
Alleging harassment of citizens at the RTOs, Gadkari said, " Tithe Laxmi darshanacha khel chalto (money rules there)." The minister said a system employing new technology would be introduced to nab traffic violators. "Under the system, you will be served a notice at your doorstep if you break a traffic rule. And if you go to court against the notice and lose the case, you will have to pay three times the fine," he said. The government was preparing a plan to improve traffic in urban areas with the help of the traffic models in the UK and other countries, he said.
I faced this situation while paying road tax for my out of state vehicle at Bangalore RTO. The experience was horrible.

Well, I thought of opening a thread when I read it in the paper this morning. Thanks vm2011.

If it works out, this can be one of the best stand. However, what is the alternative they are talking about? That's not clear yet. Moreover, it's mentioned that will be done in few months, do they already have an alternative solution in place? Surprising...

Not just the RTO, process of PUC certificates should also be scrapped. It is another money making business for the PUC certifiers and traffic police.

Traffic police can very well have the gadget in their van and check vehicles online - anyways the cerficate does not mean vehicle is pollution free

If it works out, this can be one of the best stand. However, what is the alternative they are talking about? That's not clear yet. Moreover, it's mentioned that will be done in few months, do they already have an alternative solution in place? Surprising...
Basically by nature, we Indians have corruption & bribe in our blood. We are ready to give bribe to ease our work & we oppose / condemn bribe when it is given by somebody else to ease his work. So whatever alternative new system is planned, it will become full of corruption & inefficiency/incompetency/incapability like present RTO system, only it will be matter of time. [frustration] [frustration]

If implemented properly through an online platform,it will curb corruption.Hope this materialises.Why do people think that bribing is in our blood?My dad was a govt servant and he has never taken a bribe.He bought his first car at the age of 60!Don't lose hope,this country has a future.I have been fined twice for traffic rule violation and I have paid the fines,I didn't even feel like bribing.

The government is adopting a curious mix of centralist vs federalist approaches. I would have expected more reform on the lines of the US model where pretty much every state has independent Motor vehicle rules , but the license is valid across the USA.

If the registration is going to be central, why bother about MH/TN/GJ/DL ? Let them evolve some pan-India code for vehicle numbers. and while they are about it, why not implement a uniform registration/road tax value ?

Last edited:

The government is adopting a curious mix of centralist vs federalist approaches. I would have expected more reform on the lines of the US model where pretty much every state has independent Motor vehicle rules , but the license is valid across the USA.

If the registration is going to be central, why bother about MH/TN/GJ/DL ? Let them evolve some pan-India code for vehicle numbers. and while they are about it, why not implement a uniform registration/road tax value ?
Trust me when I say it is the US model that is outdated and needs reformation. It is an absolute mess that each state has it's own laws, which can make long distance journey an absolute pain. For example:

1. In some states it is required to have fog lights on while driving even in daytime while in other states it is illegal to use fog lights around traffic
2. While some states require you to stick to speed limits, states such as Illinois allow you to go 5 Mph above while Texas allows you to go 10% higher and Nevada allows you to go as fast as the general traffic flow.
3. Road taxes and vehicle classification also varies. Example: Texas considers Toyota Corolla as a "Compact car" while New York does not, hence tax for a corolla is lower in Texas than NY.

Also, a US driving license is also state-dependent. Not all states accept other states' driving licenses as equal. For example, Illinois only allows people to drive with an out-of-state license for 90 days while Texas allows them to drive with out-of-state license for 3 months. After this period, the person must surrender their old license and reapply for a license of the new state.

Having registration plates split by states DL/MH/UP/etc. is a great thing for traffic study and enforcement purposes.

"Under the system, you will be served a notice at your doorstep if you break a traffic rule. And if you go to court against the notice and lose the case, you will have to pay three times the fine," he said.
This seems like a violation of our right to protest. It is a basic civil right to challenge a violation in court, but it is just immoral to punish citizens for it by randomly hiking the fine!

Last edited:

Glad to hear this Good news. This will help us like me who travel from one state to another state for the purpose of work. Make the India instead of States.

Also I'm worried, it should address all the gaps in the current system. In some states, Reg. No with 8(addition of all nos) is not issued. Govt should not promote these kind of false beliefs.

Also, a US driving license is also state-dependent. Not all states accept other states' driving licenses as equal. For example, Illinois only allows people to drive with an out-of-state license for 90 days while Texas allows them to drive with out-of-state license for 3 months. After this period, the person must surrender their old license and reapply for a license of the new state.
It's both are same. I hope, may be some typo error. It is not fault finding, you correct the statement and help others know the law better.

In this point also, India is great than US. [clap]

It's both are same. I hope, may be some typo error. It is not fault finding, you correct the statement and help others know the law better.

In this point also, India is great than US. [clap]
Are you certain? I just found out last week from a law enforcement person (Can't remember his designation) in Dallas, needed to know because an indirect friend of mine was on an Iowa license and had work in Texas.

Anyways, that man may have been misinformed but I rather hope not!

I agree, there are many things in which India is a LOT more updated than the US!

Now this is something new can you tell us more details on this
I came to know that Reg. No summing to 8 is not issued to any vehicle in TN. Because most of the people who get 8 (summing of all Nos) goes for re-registration (may be numerology or false belief) to change the Reg. No. So the RTO removed all 8 Nos from their future list very long back. And if anybody asks for a 8 No, they need to give special request.

It is also there in some western countries for No 13. A separate thread is going on in TBHP.

Are you certain? I just found out last week from a law enforcement person (Can't remember his designation) in Dallas, needed to know because an indirect friend of mine was on an Iowa license and had work in Texas.

Anyways, that man may have been misinformed but I rather hope not!

I agree, there are many things in which India is a LOT more updated than the US!
I'm not aware about the US laws. I said 3 month & 90 days, both are same.

Trust me when I say it is the US model that is outdated and needs reformation. It is an absolute mess that each state has it's own laws, which can make long distance journey an absolute pain. For example:

1. In some states it is required to have fog lights on while driving even in daytime while in other states it is illegal to use fog lights around traffic
2. While some states require you to stick to speed limits, states such as Illinois allow you to go 5 Mph above while Texas allows you to go 10% higher and Nevada allows you to go as fast as the general traffic flow.
3. Road taxes and vehicle classification also varies. Example: Texas considers Toyota Corolla as a "Compact car" while New York does not, hence tax for a corolla is lower in Texas than NY.

Having registration plates split by states DL/MH/UP/etc. is a great thing for traffic study and enforcement purposes.
1) Just how many times in a year do you drive over 1000 miles during a road trip to encounter varied traffic laws of the various states ?
2) 65mph to 75 mph is pretty much a safety standard across most countries with high density of vehicles. It is dangerous to drive faster than that in any case (autobahns notwithstanding)
3) Isnt it a good idea to have the enforcement of local state driving license ? It allows them to keep some currency in terms of address of residence.

Top Bottom