Trend of 5 Letters in Naming New Cars in India

Thread Starter #1
Made a list of 25 cars currently on sale in India that have EXACTLY five (5) letters in Model Name. Alphabetically arranged list is below:

Amaze
Camry
Cruze
Dzire
Enjoy
Etios
Gypsy
Jetta
Linea
Manza
Micra
Prado
Prius
Pulse
Punto
Rapid
Scala
Spark
Sunny
Swift
Teana
Vento
Verna
Vista
Xcent

Quirky Coincidence or what [thinking] ? In Numerology, the number 5 is considered the luckiest number (from 1 to 9). Any comments from those with Auto-Industry-inside-info ?

@Mods: Lazily tried to locate similar info within TAI and couldn't locate. Pls delete this thread, if found redundant. Thanks.

Re: 5 letters in naming a Car

Now that's interesting, must be something logic behind this. To the list of cars add Movus, Xenon.
Also what strikes me is that Fiat has always used 5 letter names for its cars Ex. Siena, Petra, Palio, Stile. Similarly Opel Corsa, Astra, Vectra. Chevrolet Optra. These are discontinued cars though.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: 5 Letters in Naming a Car

Celio (daewoo)
Fabia (skoda)
Macan (porsche)
Movus (tata)
Stile (ashok Leyland)

Last edited:
I think 5-6 letters spellings are easy & simple to pronounce.

e.g. ( 6 letters - Innova, Rexton, XUV500, Accent, Santro, Estilo, WagonR, Indica, Verito, Indigo, Fiesta, Superb, Sonata, Passat, Ertiga, Tavera, Evalia, Bolero, Gurkha, Duster, Safari, Koleos, Pajero, Evoque

350Z

Core Team
That's a nice observation. I think it could be inadvertent (since it's not limited to one particular manufacturer) and has more to do with keeping the names short and simple to memorize rather than the numerological concept. Keep this thread flowing. It'll be interesting to read the viewpoint of more members on this topic.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Not sure what other motoring pundits have to say but I feel, car names are something that the manufacturers want to appear catchy and appeal to the masses. Like what would stick to someone's mind instantly:
a) Swift/Ritz/Uno or
b)Kompressor/Terracan/Murcielago

On the other hand too short names as in 2 letters can be little tedious to remember but some manufacturers like BMW (X series, Z series), Audi opt for it.

Just for the sake, I'm not sure we have too many 3 letter cars. Some which do come to mind are:
SX-4
Uno (Fiat)
EON
ACE (Tata)
Zip (Tata)
Rio (Premier)

That's exactly my though. Let's take it from 4~6 letters

Alto
City
Figo
Getz
Jazz
Ikon
Ritz
Is a four-lettered name heat going on as a latest trend!?!?!

Polo
Zest
Bolt
Aria
Kite
Adding more to the list.

Nano - TATA (nation's pride)
Sumo - TATA
Beat - Chevy.
Sail - Chevy
RE60 - bajaj
Yeti - Skoda