Tata's New Family of 1.2L, 3 Cylinder, Petrol Engines: Revotron a Stop Gap!

Thread Starter #1
According to Hormazd sorabjee on the 26th of July 2014 on the Autocar show, scoop section the Revotron is just a Stop Gap-yes you heard that right. TML is readying up a new family of high tech petrol engines which will be light and fuel efficient ( The revotron being based on the old cast iron engines).Says Sorabjee, standing next to a beautiful Jaguar, M&M also seem to be going up the same road.
He lamented that TML and MM could work together and save a lot of money like Fiat and ?Chrysler/ Chevrolet for the 1.3 Multijet!

AMG

Suspended
re: Tata's New Family of 1.2L 3cylinder petrol engines-Revotron a stop gap!

Revotron is a useless engine anyway. Nothing exceptional in it. All marketing hype.

Revotron is a useless engine anyway. Nothing exceptional in it. All marketing hype.

Sirji,
Have you done a review on this engine, if not how you got this colclusion ?

do provide proof so as we will get a clear understanding on what you are trying to convey here

They may have referred to the 1.2 L 4 Cylinder ' REVOTRON 1.2 T '.

Coming back to the topic, the 1.2 L REVOTRON may be an old school Iron cast block one but definitely not an outdated or crap of a metal. It is definitely the most advance engine an Indian company has ever made, no spec of doubt.

This is surely an engine made to fill in the gap until the newer all Aluminium engines crop up, of which on has already. The 1.2 L 3 cylinder all Aluminium had already been showcased which is to debut on the Nexon SUV and the Upcomping MPV (TATA MOTORS DESIGN) showcased in the recent AUTO EXPO 2014. This engine will be called REVOTRON 1.2 NG. The pictures are already doing rounds.

So REVOTRON is here to stay and not a stop gap. Technology keeps evolving and newer and modern products roll out.

Last edited by a moderator:

AMG

Suspended

Since I seem to be getting a lot of hate for my comments, let me clarify what I meant.

Power : 83 BHP
Not bad for a N/A. Pathetic for a turbo. Swift Brio and Sail get more power out of a NA.
And since its a turbo, there will be turbo lag.

Torque is okey, not too exceptional, Turbo engines have better torque than N/A, but again it doesnt blow away the competitors.
The torque is lower down the range. 1,750rpm to 3,500rpm. Which is good in a diesel, but petrols are supossed to be high revving.

Compare this engine to ecoboost and VW TSi, and see it running for cover.

And now coming to FE, the ARAI certified figure is 15 kmpl. Not bad, but not the best. Average.

And the construction is cast iron. Not aluminium like the newer engines. Again it loses a point here.

So see, like I said, its an average engine at best.

I do see two slightly small issues with this forum.
No offence to anyone.

1: There are way too many tata fanboys.
2: The people here take the claims of manufacturers with their eyes closed. They fall easy prey to advertising and accept the claims of manufacturers as the gospel truth. Like if tata(or anyone else) says the best engine ever, they'll accept it.

Jaago Grahak Jaago!

I cant deny the BBC top gear reviews and our beloved AMGji words also but here its contridicting
Top gear said its 89 BHP and AMG said its 83 BHP which one is rite [frustration]

quote from top gear
At the heart of this Tata are two engine options. The tried and tested 1.3-litre Quadrajet motor and a segment-first 1.2-litre Revotron turbo-charged petrol engine. Teamed with a 5 speed manual at the launch, all the 89bhp and 140Nm of torque will be sent to the front wheels. Another segment-first are the multi-drive modes that lets you choose from three settings - Eco, City and Sport – which can be accessed via click of a couple of buttons.

Tata Zest XT
1193cc, turbo-petrol, FWD, 89bhp, 140Nm, 5-speed Manual, Ground clearance: 175mm, Boot space: 390 litres, Fuel tank: 44 litres, Kerb weight: 1135kg, Tyres: 185/60 R15
source : BBC TopGear Magazine India Car-Reviews - Review: Tata Zest

attachment source date is from : Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent comparison | Car News | Entry level saloons | Autocar India

Attachments

AMG

Suspended
Last edited:

Revotron is a family of turbo charged petrol engines. 1.2T the first one. Check the spelling also. There is no comment from TML that the engine capacities will be 1.2 L always. Also no clarification that it will be always 3-cylinders. Nexon concept featured a 3 cyl Revotron 1.2L,I believe. That's all.
Everybody knows the current engine is a derivative of Xeta block. Next engines under the branding will be aluminium block.
I think this is what the thread starter tried to express..
Revotron first step towards more Tata petrols | Car News | Entry level saloons | Autocar India

Compared to motors like Ford’s 1.0-litre EcoBoost and VW’s TSI which sport direct-injection and multi-valve heads, the cast-iron block, two-valve per cylinder Revotron seems relatively low-tech. However, Leverton believes that for a first step, this is the right approach, keeping the cost base in mind as well. “This engine is a straightforward and reliable approach, keeping in mind cost of ownership. When you have a turbocharger, you don’t necessarily need more valves. We’ve done a lot of work to reduce friction and designed an all-new head to optimise forced induction. The block too is completely re-designed for lower weight and more rigidity. So I think there is integrity in the configuration.”

However, Leverton hinted that a hotter Revotron, which is higher-revving and has more power, could be the next step. According to sources, the next step could be a 100-plus-bhp motor with a bigger turbo, more sophisticated electronics and an all-new four-valve head.

The big news is that Tata is working on an all-new engine family with three- and four-cylinder configurations. Unlike the Revotron, which has its roots in the Tata Xeta motor, this family of all-aluminium engines will be developed from a clean sheet of paper.

A 1.2-litre, three-cylinder will be the main configuration to power Tata’s range of future small cars. A 1.5-litre four-cylinder petrol is also on the cards for bigger sedans and SUVs.

The Revotron engine impressed us with its refinement, but Tata Motors insiders say that the new family of engines will be even smoother. According to sources, the all-new engine family will use hydraulic lash adjusters and roller finger followers for mechanical noise reduction.

One last thing. @AMG From where did you got the mileage figure which is not yet published by the company and reserved till the time of launch[confused]
The power is up to 89 bhp for the final car. The one quoted by you is of the engine showcased in Feb 3.!!

Last edited by a moderator:

AMG

Suspended

Still, even if it up to 89 BHP, thats not a huge achievement, is it?

Skoda got 150 BHP from their vRS Turbo Petrols 1.8 in the year 2000, and it gave an FE of 12-14.
And thats a decade and a half back.
Skoda these days gets 270 BHP from their new TSI Vrs octy. Its no sin to expect 120 bhp from a 1.2 Turbo Petrol engine.

Also, the fact is that no matter how much tata convinces you that this is an all new engine, it is a highly modified Tata indica Xeta engine(64 BHP), with a turbo on it. Source.
And that car had an ARAI mileage of 14.

And I do expect an increase in mileage by about 1 kmpl at the very max, courtesy the turbo, but the power's gone up too, so dont bet on it.

Plus Tata's never made a good engine till date. Never has, Never (probably) will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Not directly related to the engine, but nevertheless, its got a 5 speed 'box.

For heavens sake, its a Turbo petrol. Give it 6 cogs.

Last edited:
Re: Tata's New Family of 1.2L 3cylinder petrol engines-Revotron a stop gap!

Now I wonder, what is the use of this thread. Already predictions have arrived that Tata will not make good engines[lol]
Again predictions on the FE..!!
One can expect 120 from 1.2. Same time its not a sin to provide 90 on 1.2..!!

AMG

Suspended

90 from 1.2 is without Turbo, my friend.

How does Skoda get 270 BHP from a 2.0 Petrol Vrs?
Logically, it implies 135 BHP/litre, so do the math.

120 BHP from a Turbo petrol is not huge.

YEar 2000 octy had 150 bhp from a 1.8 turbo petrol.
so that makes it 50bhp/600 cc = 100bhp from a 1.2.

Tata hasnt even beaten a 15 year old benchmark.

"best engine" my foot.

Tata is not here to beat any record. Revotron 1.2T is build for a purpose. If it does the job accept it. What's the point of making Tata not getting 120 out of 1.2 turbo..??

AMG

Suspended

Look mate, in order to compare whether an engine is good or not, one has to compare it with a benchmark.
And there are not many Turbo Petrol cars here in this part of the world.

So well, I'll compare it to the ones I know. And there are only two Turbo Petrols. The TSi by VW and the vRS by Skoda.

Give me a benchmark turbo petrol car, and I'll get back to you with a comparison.

Plus Tata's never made a good engine till date. Never has, Never (probably) will.

For heavens sake, its a Turbo petrol. Give it 6 cogs.
Tata hasnt even beaten a 15 year old benchmark.

"best engine" my foot.
if i dont like chappaties i will not eat it, but i will never compare them with italian spagati and tell everyone stating spagati is great and chappaties are bad
there are lot of threads in this forum, but if you dont like a thread because its title has TATA in it, then please unsubscribe, and do not blindly say all TATA engines are bad, sooner you will go ahead and say jaguar engines became bad because they are also owned by TATA
am not biased or praising or endorsing any brand here, but will not let some one spoil purpose of a thread, by putting unwanted comments because he doesnt likes it.
no no no am not using TATA salt.
My appology for being OOT

Top Bottom