• Sedan

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • SUV

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
I was just wondering if SUVs are safer than sedans?

I mean compare like priced and like specced vehicles.

Like ABS + 2 Airbags Rapid vs ABS + 2 Airbags Storme

Or ABS alone Duster vs ABS alone Vento

Or no abs no airbags sedan vs similar scorpio

Which one do you think will be safer?
SUVs, I believe, will be safer in terms of an head on impact, because the other car will go under the SUV.
Side impact? Not sure.

During a collision is another story, but while driving I don't feel safe inside a SUV due to their higher stance --> heavy body roll. They do have higher tendency to topple than sedans (considering speed / driving conditions remain same)

Thread Starter #3

AMG

Suspended
Perception of safety is more in the sedans. No doubt.

But actual safety? I'm not so sure.

I voted for SUV. Sedans may have better crash test ratings. But in our roads, the major hazard is colliding with heavy vehicles, where sedans' bonnet area on most occasions slide under the heavy vehicles causing severe damage to cabin.

Besides, SUVs are bullied lesser than sedans.

Having driven both sedan and SUV in India as well as the UK- I believe, if driven in a sane way, SUVs are safer on Indian roads as you are not sure what is lurking ahead around the corner.
Also, fellow travellers on road do not try to mess with an SUV and that alone should reduce risk of accidents at least by a tiny fraction.

However as they say your opinions are shaped by your prejudices and limited by your experience. ( I love SUVs)

Well one thing about the SUV is on the road a sedan can beat it in control & braking.
Point for example your in a Fortuner doing 100 feeling mighty & the car in front stops but the Fortuner cant stop in time,lets say your in something like a Jetta & am sure it would have stopped in time in comparison.So you would have avoided an accident.

Suv if sticking below 100km/hr otherwise its the sedan. Why be in an accident when you can avoid one.

And SUV's(forget sedans) before 2001 were a joke in crash ratings,especially Land Rovers(if i remember right), the Euro NCAP really made all the car makers stop playing bluff & start taking safety seriously.

bhvm

Honoured Member
there are 2 layers of safety
1) inherited safety- like stronger construction, higher ground clearance, larger wheels, better brakes, higher seating.

2) active safety- abs, airbag, better headlamps, cornering and hill assist.

SUV definately tirumphs on no 1.
and it depends on model about no. 2.

I drive an xuv 500 w 8 and it wins both cases.

Indian conditions are much more challenging and SUV is all win for Me

Both types have their limits. Hard core SUVs with high GC are never meant to be driven at 100kph plus speeds.
Whereas the low slung sedans are not meant to be messing around on the rural roads.
With respect to safety devices, its a tie.
I can take my Linea and hurtle it around the winding ghats at over 70kph without breaking a sweat. But I cannot take her through a mud track along a grassy knoll (hillock). I am sure to damage the engine guard- NOT the engine mind you..With the SUV it would be the exact opposite.

Also, fellow travellers on road do not try to mess with an SUV and that alone should reduce risk of accidents at least by a tiny fraction.

i do agree with above point , when you travelling SUV like fortuner you will get Pass and respect from other driver! vise versa in samll sedan

But pathetic cornering in Few SUV even i felt in fortuner also

Best potion combination of both SKODA Yeti - drive like a sedan sametime SUV ![clap]

Sedan is always safer than a SUV. Thanks to lower center of gravity. Big doesnt mean safe. More mass equals more inertia equals more damage.

Perception of safety is more in the sedans. No doubt.

But actual safety? I'm not so sure.
It is quite the opposite actually. SUV is a bigger vehicle and the size is what makes you feel that it is safer. Cars like range rover are no doubt safer but if you compare these old school BOL suvs then sedan for similar money is safer. For example,do you think a fortuner is safer than a superb?

Hi, I have driven sedan as well as SUV, apart from cornering in suv with high speeds(I refer to ladder on frame chassis) I fell suv's are more safer than sedans.

I feel that most of the sedans which were involved in head on accident with a truck or banged the rear of a truck or bus the sedans have the entire bonnet going inside the rear part of the other car whereas this is not the scenario in case if SUV's

kaliya

Suspended
I have driven sedan as well as SUV, SUV is more safer. The control is also good and better comfort.

Thanks
Right Way Auto Parts

Last edited:
I have driven both of them for long distance.
Always feel that SUV is more safer if driving in controlled speed.
Even on highway SUV behaves well when you suddenly encounter a humps/ "Gaddha" on road.
I never bothered about them when i drive my bro's Safari.

But yes when i drive my Ertiga (kind of Seadan) i really worry about that. Same as for Sedan.
But road dynamics/perfomance on ghta section,Sedan always win.

A good SUV with balanced ride always safer then a sedan.

Top Bottom