Debate: Buying Top Variant vs Installing Accessories on Base Variant?

Thread Starter #1
Reason of this thread is to get maximum reviews over this frequently raised question that whether choosing a top model of the car is the smart decision or should buy a mid or base model then get accessories of it from outside. which involves so many things in it like music system, steering mounted keys, parking sensor, mud flaps, floor mats, seat covers, wheel covers, roof rails, display screen, cup holders etc. mainly i am not talking about the luxury sedans and SUVS here, my targeted cars for discussions are cities hatchbacks which gives only few add on with the large difference of price gap between their range of models.

Re: car accessories or top model

Normally high end moduels have EBS/Airbags.These are major safety features

If you are getting EBS at least in the lower version,please go ahead and what ever accessories are missing,you can get them from outside

Go for company fitted accessories - go for top model.

music system, steering mounted keys, parking sensor --> these things need some 'fitting and integration' with the car. Better get it done by the company itself.

mud flaps, floor mats, seat covers, wheel covers, roof rails, display screen, cup holders etc. --> these all are external / removable things, you can go for after market ones also.

Thread Starter #4

@priyadarshi06 Reason of choosing hatchbacks in this topic which are casually purchased for run in city where we regularly found bumper to bumper traffic on peak office hours, do we really need abs, eps and airbags.
@johnyBoy i appreciate your answer which clearly defines that it depends upon accessories to accessories fro choosing company fitted or external sources. But usually showrooms charging a lot for these accessories as compared to market and some websites.

large difference of price gap between their range of models.
Large difference in price across variants is not only because of the accessories. There are many safety features being added and most of which you cannot get it done later.

Accessories like Alloy wheels with bigger tires, leather seats, etc are risk free items and need not be chosen a top variant for it (after market stuff comes with wide variety of choices at relatively cheaper price tag)

Electrical & Electronic items like Audio system, parking aids, power mirrors etc comes with a risk of warranty being void (some cases)

So it's purely a personal choice.

@johnyBoy i appreciate your answer which clearly defines that it depends upon accessories to accessories fro choosing company fitted or external sources. But usually showrooms charging a lot for these accessories as compared to market and some websites.
My Punto has factory fitted Blue&Me (bluetooth connectivity for phone to speakers) and it works really well. I have seen at least 4-5 after market bluetooth sets in my friends' cars and nothing works as well as this.

If price is a concern, go for a lower model car, top variant. I did the same when I went for a fully loaded top-end Punto instead of a lower or mid variant of Linea.

I would prefer to get top end variant over other option. I am aware that top-end will any time costly than base-end+aftermarket accessories.
Finishing & integration of accessories that you get at assembly time, is difficult to achieve in aftermarket fitments. e.g: its difficult to get body color reverse parking sensor in aftermarket fitment.
I had bad experience with remote locking fitting of my car. Person who fitted, scratched dashboard of my brand new car with a screwdriver. [frustration]
Also note that you may void warranty if you cut any wire at non-ASS/unauthorized outlet.

Also safety feature like ABS & Airbag are not usually available in base/mid models.
Though in my personal opinion these features should be mandatory by law.

I too prefer top end model, why to get car parts ripped off while adding new HU etc. I read in some forum that fitting would not be the same what company fitted and there may be some panel gaps.

But what I feel Company should give option in selecting HU which has all features. In Ertiga ZDI, I always wish to have HU like what Verna/Honda city has.But now I cannot think to change as already spent around 18 K on reverse parking and Jabra freeway.

Last edited:
I too prefer the top end as it comes fully loaded and all factory fitted.

Had very bad experience with power window in my last car. The accesory guy scratched all the door panel/dashboard in my new 2 day old car.

So this time i choose the Ertiga ZXi .
Fully loaded with all safty gear. As this is my only car for city and highway long drive.

@priyadarshi06 Reason of choosing hatchbacks in this topic which are casually purchased for run in city where we regularly found bumper to bumper traffic on peak office hours, do we really need abs, eps and airbags.
I am surprised that we consider safety as an option, even in this supposedly educated forum of auto enthusiasts. There are enough accidents happening on a daily basis in all cities of India which point out the need for ABS and airbags , especially Airbags which can reduce the chances of fatality. Yet people come up with amazing reasons to skimp on 70-80000 rs worth of safety features and install high-end 8 speaker 200 watt JBL music systems of equivalent value, along with gaudy DRLs and what-nots.

The day the car drivers of this country get rid of this mindset, we will progress like the rest of the world.
If it was me, I'd chuck out every unwanted gadget and gizmo and opt for ABS/Airbags. Think of it. How many times will you really fiddle around with a SatNav system in your OWN city ? Not on 80% of your journeys, I'll bet.

How many times you listen to booming loud music while getting stuck repeatedly in traffic jams ? I'd sooner switch the damn thing off and try to concentrate on manuevering around rickshaws, 2 wheelers, pedestrians, bullock carts, bicycles and the lot.
Its just a ridiculous mentality that we Indians have. Skimp on essentials and splurge on the un-necessities of life. Car variants included.

Hi Diwakar, I guess many members have already replied to your query on this.
I will always perfer safety over luxury any day.So please go for a variant which at least offers ABS if not airbags though both of them save lives.And whether you are in city or highway you will need them.And I don't think anyone who buys a car for city driving will not take to highway.So go for the higher end

Reason of this thread is to get maximum reviews over this frequently raised question that whether choosing a top model of the car is the smart decision or should buy a mid or base model then get accessories of it from outside. which involves so many things in it like music system, steering mounted keys, parking sensor, mud flaps, floor mats, seat covers, wheel covers, roof rails, display screen, cup holders etc. mainly i am not talking about the luxury sedans and SUVS here, my targeted cars for discussions are cities hatchbacks which gives only few add on with the large difference of price gap between their range of models.
car coming with industry ready accessories are tailor fit, lasts longer, then again the price tag hurts the pocket. If you need steering controls, airbags, abs, sunroof go for higher versions, this will give you peace of mind. Music systems, wheel covers , autocop can be fitted from car accessories shop, you get your own choice. [:)]

Usually manufacturers in India cut the safety features like ABS and Airbags in base version of cars (there are few exceptions) . You can fit all accessories from outside but you cannot install these safety features.
My take is to go for top variant if budget permits or mid variant at least.

I was in favour to get lower variants and customise it as per your liking in accessories. Saving Rupees was another factor.
Until we bought i10 Magna
I realised, by no means we can match the factory fit and QC in this department.

You loose the fun of owning a reliable machine as sometimes even a bit of carelessness in installation or product will make you run with new car to get it fixed.

Just as an example, Magna variant doesn't come with Music System and i was happy to get the one as per my taste.
Eventually, I got one but the installation done was bad. The Door speakers were fouling and rattling with glass and twice i had to visit installer for fixing it.
The time and fuel wasted are more precious than saving few hundred rupees.

While this was the case with Music system, things like aftermarket power windows, fog lamps, horns etc are more likely to bring troubles with improper installation.

Get the Top End variant only with necessary accessories like seat cover, Mats, Perfume etc
Not to Forget the safety features you get in Top End variant.

Top Bottom