Powerful Turbocharged Tata Nano Spied!

Thread Starter #1
Thread Starter #2
Re: Scoop: Powerful Turbocharged Nano Launching This Festive Season

Is Tata Testing Turbocharged Nano? Partly Camouflaged Test Mule Spied [Video]

Tata-Nano-Turbocharged-Spy-Pics-1-605x440.jpg

Tata has been working on truckloads of variants for Nano but none of them has worked really well for the company. Yes, sales have seen a rise, from 4662 cumulative units (Apr-Aug 2014) to 8906 units during the same period this year, but they are far from the capacity and expectations Tata had with the small car.

After exhaustive testing, its Diesel variant has reportedly been shelved for the time being due to the falling difference between the prices of petrol and diesel. Renault’s Kwid, though higher in price, may also pose a threat to the car and it appears that Tata is taking their next step forward.

Tata-Nano-Turbocharged-Spy-Pics-1.jpg

Our avid reader Asif Zaidi has shared spyshots of a partly camouflaged Nano test mule which was spotted on his way from Pune to Bangalore. Now, what he tells us is that there was a fuel cap like hole on the left rear fender which he could not capture but what he could was the front bonnet which has been torn off for reason not known.

Tata-Nano-Turbocharged-Spy-Pics-2.jpg

Look at the exhaust pipe (which is at the right side) against the central position of the Nano GenX MT and there is a proof that something mechanically is different.

Tata-Nano-Turbocharged-Spy-Pics-3.jpg

This could be the ‘already confirmed‘ turbocharged Nano with the radiator in front and that bonnet with a hole may be to provide more air to keep things cooler for this test mule. The turbocharged version may be a two cylinder less version of the Bolt’s Revotron unit which may pump up a power output of around or over 50 bhp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PncsU_0lQHs

Source:Turbocharged Nano Spotted Testing?

The Airdam in the front bumper too seems to be a larger than that in the GenX model. And I think even the tyres are wider, especially in the rear.
The car is TN registered. I think AVL has it's development centre in Chennai.

I think it's time for nano to rest and Tata make a try on pixel or do the turbo charged engine in a different body shell. No matter how much you change its always a nano in Indians heart. It won't change. Do change the body, make new looks for car.

TATA is trying to maximize Gujarat Govt subsidies for Nano, but Nano is a lost cause. Why don't they make something bigger like a Kwid with turbo charge ? They can still name it Hyper/Turbo Nano/ Nano SUV and keep getting the subsidy.
The car has to sell for getting the maximum subsidy, as ,apart from soft loan of 0.1 %, part of subsidy is tied to VAT. They are using only about a tenth of capacity, so they can very well make changes to assembly line. I do think they need to make major assembly line changes, but its worth the effort.

The GenX avatar has given a new lease of life to the Nano. The GenX is commanding a decent amount of respect too. Many first timers are buying the AMT version, while also a chunck of buyers are buying it as a second car, purely for city/town use.

But a portion of the potential buyers who have a look at the Nano & then go out and buy another vehicle is due to the Nano's lack of power. This section of potential buyers will seriously look at the Nano again if it has enough oomph from the engine to compete with other hatches in the segment.

With this body, even if they place a V12 under rear seats, it won't be translated much into sales.

Last edited:
well its not the body but the small plastic mongram which sits on the front and rear of the car.

Replace it with any other plastic chrome plated sticker and see the sales zoom northwards [;)]
I might have agreed if it was zest or bolt. But, it's nano and people had a lot of expectations from this vehicle, the pre launch bookings were very high . But, many of us never developed a taste for this Auto Rickshaw like body shell. Moreover, the front looks weak and risky for frontal collision.

Last edited:
I might have agreed if it was zest or bolt. But, it's nano and people had a lot of expectations from this vehicle, the pre launch bookings were very high . But, many of us never developed a taste for this Auto Rickshaw like body shell. Moreover, the front looks weak and risky for frontal collision.
Well this 'Autorickshaw like body shell' that you talk about offers more than 20% extra passenger space than your Maruti 800!! The Nano is lot more spacious, comfortable & easy to use than your 'Legend'. It does have other shortcomings, but it's still a terrific deal for the price it is offered at. Had it come with a Maruti Suzuki badge, even at a higher price, it would have sold like hot cakes!!

Nano that sounds a little like a greaves auto and has warm(engine heat) seats at the back.Sincere suggestion to Tata they should try and learn more about designing, Not expanding or contracting indica and make new models. Changing just the logo will not help

Nano that sounds a little like a greaves auto and has warm(engine heat) seats at the back.Sincere suggestion to Tata they should try and learn more about designing, Not expanding or contracting indica and make new models. Changing just the logo will not help
For me "Nano is nothing but the ineligibility of a person to buy a proper car". Do you know why? Because TATA has marketed it the same way. The told this is a car for people who use bikes and are not able to buy a car. Does it sounds like "All you can achieve in your life is nothing more than a TATA Nano"

Well this 'Autorickshaw like body shell' that you talk about offers more than 20% extra passenger space than your Maruti 800!! The Nano is lot more spacious, comfortable & easy to use than your 'Legend'. It does have other shortcomings, but it's still a terrific deal for the price it is offered at. Had it come with a Maruti Suzuki badge, even at a higher price, it would have sold like hot cakes!!
A legend is a legend mate. My 12 year old legend is still a reliable workhorse and about the space, a Piaggio Ape provides even more space than nano, it doesn't mean we can compare it with a legend. If you want to compare then take same old and similarly driven Nano and 800. And then make a comparison. My neighbor's 2010 Nano cx refuses to climb his ramp when with four on board. And I recently did a trip to hills with in My 2003 800 mpfi with 5 of us and luggage.

Here's the link :http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...known-places-villages-roads-maruti-800-a.html

So buddy, my point is that a badge might affect the initial sales but if a product is really good it will eventually pick up the sales figures..

Last edited:
A legend is a legend mate. My 12 year old legend is still a reliable workhorse and about the space, a Piaggio Ape provides even more space than nano, it doesn't mean we can compare it with a legend. If you want to compare then take same old and similarly driven Nano and 800. And then make a comparison. My neighbor's 2010 Nano cx refuses to climb his ramp when with four on board. And I recently did a trip to hills with in My 2003 800 mpfi with 5 of us and luggage.

Here's the link :http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...known-places-villages-roads-maruti-800-a.html

So buddy, my point is that a badge might affect the initial sales but if a product is really good it will eventually pick up the sales figures..
It's only people like you who make a Legend out of cars like Maruti 800. And there are many many like you. I have seen many people, even in my town, who pay in the region of Rs.60 to 80K for a 10+ years old Maruti 800, and then keep spending a few thousands every few months in replacing some part(s) or other, despite the usage being very limited to just a few hundred kms every month, on an average. I am sure this makes terrific economic sense to many many people, including you. It's people like you who should be worshiped for making a Legend out old old old cars. Carry on defending the Legend. I rest my case!!

It's only people like you who make a Legend out of cars like Maruti 800. And there are many many like you. I have seen many people, even in my town, who pay in the region of Rs.60 to 80K for a 10+ years old Maruti 800, and then keep spending a few thousands every few months in replacing some part(s) or other, despite the usage being very limited to just a few hundred kms every month, on an average. I am sure this makes terrific economic sense to many many people, including you. It's people like you who should be worshiped for making a Legend out old old old cars. Carry on defending the Legend. I rest my case!!
No offence buddy ! Everyone has his own opinion. But, see Legends are immortal, so is the 800. Here are the pics of my friend's nano, which met an accident on a rainy day this July.

IMG-20150630-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20150630-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20150630-WA0007.jpg

Chauffeur was driving it alone on a straight road at around 60-70 kmph and he applied sudden brakes to avoid a motorcycle. Nano skidded and the left side collided with an electricity pole. Driver died on the spot. So, this is the great body shell we were discussing about. I wish my friend had bought a proper car and not the nano. I am not saying that a maruti would have escaped without anything. But, I feel the cost cutting in nano has compromised at lot on safety. And the design with rear engine makes nano more prone to drift and imbalance.

Last edited:

Top Bottom