The Crossover (CUV) Vs Sedan Dilemma

Thread Starter #1
Long considered as only for big rich boys, sports utility vehicles (SUVs) have suddenly become the rage,worldwide but the difference is shrunk and in many cases a raised hatch! This craze in worldwide and India is no exception.
Globally, the subcompact SUV segment accounts for 2.7 million in annual sales, Manley said. About 1.1 million of those are in Europe, with another 1.1 million in Asia and about 250,000 in the U.S.
The worldwide ( Europe and Asia) trend on small SUV rising, hatchback take a hit - the same is seen in India with most manufacturers getting into the CUV wagon. All have chalked out their plans and the onslaught would beigin in 2015.
This is what is happening in Europe and the pattern will be similar in emerging markets with India being no different to the trend.
In India Ford began selling a subcompact SUV called the EcoSport in India and other countries last year( < 4m trend). Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra and the Global giants VW, Honda are already released plans of joining the race. Additionally In India a diesel mill is the a must for the CUV to be a success.

So what is a Crossover Utility Vehicle(CUV) ? - It is a vehicle that has the body and of an SUV, but the underpinnings of a car. The crossover tends to come as a five-door hatchback on 'Stilettoes'
Benifits of CUV ? -An upright seating position leading to better outside visibility, good ground clearence, ease of entry and exit,more vertical space, good road presence,ease of handling due to its compact size in city traffic and better pricing (<4m) are some of the positives.
Risks - Having a higher CG have the risk of toppling if not handled with respect, compromised space due to its size(<4m), compromised space
Because it is a Crossover - it does not do either as well as a pure sedan or a pure SUV.
Sedans are hands down winners when it comes to handling and maneuverability, normally with better space and well planted in most driving conditions.
So in short , when buying a CUV weigh its advantages and respect its shortcomings and guranteed you will be a satisfied owner. Yes use your Head and follow your heart when in an Sedan Vs CUV dilemma.

Some ref:
http://europe.autonews.com/article/...mpact-car-sales-slow-on-demand-for-small-suvs

Thread Starter #2
It is subjective but I would prefer a sedan over a cross(CUV) any given day. I will also say I will prefer a proper SUV over a sedan, but never a CUV.
It might cause a illusion due its size but at the end of the day its neither a proper small car nor a proper sedan. I cannot live with this confused thought/product.As rightly pointed out, the drivability is also much better in a sedan.

Top Bottom