End of the Road For Ambassador?

Thread Starter #1
Now seven decades after the first Ambassador rolled out, Hindustan Motors has put the brakes on its Uttarpara, West Bengal factory.
The company's best efforts to revive the unit have failed. Given the circumstances, it has no alternative but to declare suspension of work at the plant with effect from May 24, 2014
Modelled on the British Morris Oxford III, the Ambassador commanded a lion's share of the fledgling Indian car market of the '70s and early '80s but lost its lead when companies like Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and Ford came to India, relegating it to a mere 'sarkari' (government) vehicle. Sporting a red beacon, the vehicle had come to personify political and administrative status since its launch. Though it is still the official vehicle for some of the country's elite, most politicians have moved on to safer and luxurious SUVs and sedans from the likes of Mercedes Benz, Audi and BMW.
The poor financial position has resulted in delays in salary that in some cases has not been paid for over five months. And despite being a loss-making unit, the staff strength at Uttarpara is still very high as it is difficult to lay off workers in the politically-charged state of West Bengal. While the company has assured they will pay accumulated liabilities, the suspension came as a shock, not only for workers but also the neighbourhood
It's end of the road for Ambassador | ET Auto

yes VM I have just read the news. just feeling nostalgic now. there were days when my grandfather had 2 Ambys. I was very young but I remember little bit. Rest in peace dear.! we all love you.! :-*

There was a news on todays newspapers that the uttarpara plant was locked out yesterday leaving 2026 workers unemployed... R.I.P. AMBI.. [cry]

So sad to hear the news, was too much disappointed, even last year there was some news of revival plans for Ambassadors. still feel proud to own one

bhvm

Honoured Member
they axed their own feet.
there was so much goodwill in that brand. they could've made a latest design. but alas, they totally ignored the progress. :-(

we (world) expect changes and improvement and the one fail to change finds the end of road. This is one sad news after Maruti stopped M800 production early this year. Amby & M800 used to be the very first car for many of us and they do have a special place in our hearts for ever.

Rather blaming the Govt & Politicians who migrated to Luxury vehicles, the entire blame should be on HM itself who failed to upgrade Amby which was their bread & butter. There is nothing major to complain about Amby's space, ride & handling. All that we wanted is improved interiors, quality, fit & finish and a better engine. Rather understanding the customer requirements HM experimented on pick-up version, which doesn't go with Amby's DNA.

if rest of all classics (Mini, 500, Beetle) could comeup with new gen design, why not Amby? I wish if someone else takeover this plant and give us back a New-Gen Amby

I wish if someone else takeover this plant and give us back a New-Gen Amby
Exactly, now is the right time to buy out the Ambassador. Just the way Tata did for JLR, I guess some company (would like to have an indian company) to take over Amby.

Come up with a retro-modern look and give Amby the much needed push. I guess it could be modeled on lines of Bentleys.

There are quite a few admirers of Amby and this would well be a new innings for Amby.

I still own my Amby 2005 2000DSL model. To be honest, it's biggest issues are minor irritants, but they should have been fixed long ago. The car is solid and powerful, but they should have spruced up the interiors, put a more modern engine on it and improved the quality of the finishing, of the electrical and other fittings. And advertised it properly.

Too bad about this legendary car. I am proud to sit behind the wheel of this car every time. It has a macho-ness and attitude no other modern pussy-cat car (barring SUVs) can come close to. And it's damn cheap to maintain as well... (compared to other modern cars with computers on them)

Last edited:
I learnt driving in Amby & Maruti Omni. Boy!!! what a mighty vehicle Amby was!! There was a old saying, if I could drive Amby, I could drive Ashok Leyland lorry and it was true to a larger extent. How puny were those Marutis (Old version of M800 / updated M800/OMNI)[;)]. I LOVED that ring (which was the HORN contact) running inside the driving wheel. RIP AMBY

very sad to hear the dreaded news which i had been expecting long ago. no one else to be blamed other than the manufacturers themselves. they just watched when the whole world moved ahead. hope that some one will resurrect the brand in the future when i can buy one. we had a 1974 model amby at home which i used exclusively for 15 long memorable years. had taken my girl friend in it for many a drives, and though we had sold off the beauty the girlfriend is here with me as my better half.[roll]

I hope some one buys out the Ambassador name and design and launches it as a new brand itself. Then they will have a chance to invent it as a new car and the legacy is maintained.

DC! are you listening?

This was a sad newspaper article.

I don't want to deface the grave, but when I read "The company's best efforts to revive the unit have failed." I laughed a little. Their limp-wristed attempts to keep the brand alive meant that even the outgoing Amby had no place in this millenium.

They got so caught up in their bubble of politicians that they forgot that one day all the MPs and MLAs in the world would be able to afford an imported car that was designed last week, not one that had barely changed in the last 60 years.

Put it this way, the Mercedes S-Class is even older than the Morris Oxford III on which the Ambassador is based, but till this date remains on the forefront of luxury cars. I'm not suggesting that the Ambassador should rival any Mercedes vehicle, but I'm just pointing out that if HM had made even half of the effort that Merc did, the Ambassador would probably be alive in the personal car market as well.

Top Bottom