Maruti Suzuki Likely To Phase out Ritz and Dzire Automatics

Thread Starter #1
After Ritz AT being withdrawn, Maruti seems to go all out on the onslaught of equipping their existing range with AMT's in the existing cars by end 2014.
Also speculated is the much awaited CIAZ also come with the AMT variant.
The carmaker has discreetly withdrawn the Ritz automatic and some dealers are citing ‘no stocks’ for the Maruti Dzire automatic too. This move could be part of Maruti’s larger strategy to phase out conventional torque convertor automatics (that are expensive to produce) and replace them with AMTs.
More Maruti AMTs expected in a year | Car News | Budget hatchbacks | Autocar India

Last edited:
It is wise to scrap the fuel guzzling AT cars. Anyway the sales numbers were not encouraging and resale is pathetic.

I think it's great that they're finally being a bit modern and introducing AMT's on more models. Although I personally don't like Automatic cars, I know a lot of people who would not mind the minor drop in fuel economy for the sake of increased convenience. Especially elderly people or those who struggle to operate the clutch.

Thread Starter #5
I know a lot of people who would not mind the minor drop in fuel economy for the sake of increased convenience. Especially elderly people or those who struggle to operate the clutch.
AMT would give better than or equal to an MT version, that's the success ( read Celerio) of AMT in India.

Cheers!

AMT would give better than or equal to an MT version, that's the success ( read Celerio) of AMT in India.

Cheers!
AT and AMT cars always give less mileage than their MT counterparts. The same applies to the celerio, the AMT version gives lower mileage than the MT one.

The Celerio mileage is higher because they remapped the ECU to give a flatter torque curve. Since an engine is most efficient at the point where is produces maximum torque, this creates a larger efficiency sweet-spot.

Thread Starter #7
AT and AMT cars always give less mileage than their MT counterparts. The same applies to the celerio, the AMT version gives lower mileage than the MT one.
With relevance to India, AMT's will have ( will be mapped) more or equal mileage when compared to the MT variant.

I think it's great that they're finally being a bit modern and introducing AMT's on more models. Although I personally don't like Automatic cars, I know a lot of people who would not mind the minor drop in fuel economy for the sake of increased convenience. Especially elderly people or those who struggle to operate the clutch.
Its funny how it is perceived that just because MSIL has introduced AMT tech in its cars that its the latest and modern thing to do. The only problem with the Maruti conventional AT box is that it was a 3+1 Speed box, instead of a 5 speed like the Hondas.
I had evaluated the Ritz AT for my auto-transmission car needs and did not proceed since it had no airbags, only ABS. Basically MSIL was just paying lip-service to the needs of auto-transmission users, which is ridiculous. And then suddenly they go the AMT way just because its cheaper.
Thankfully I chose the Micra CVT and am absolutely delighted to own it. Its a gem of a transmission and extremely refined powerplant too. I regularly get 14.5 to 15kmpl in Pune city.

With relevance to India, AMT's will have ( will be mapped) more or equal mileage when compared to the MT variant.
It's not a matter of india or other countries, it is down to energy losses by the drivetrain, the AT will always be less efficient until we develop a whole new approach to auto gearboxes. Mapping is the computer programming running the engine, it is very unlikely that any company will use different mapping for AT and MT models if they are both using the same engine.

Its funny how it is perceived that just because MSIL has introduced AMT tech in its cars that its the latest and modern thing to do. The only problem with the Maruti conventional AT box is that it was a 3+1 Speed box, instead of a 5 speed like the Hondas.
I had evaluated the Ritz AT for my auto-transmission car needs and did not proceed since it had no airbags, only ABS. Basically MSIL was just paying lip-service to the needs of auto-transmission users, which is ridiculous. And then suddenly they go the AMT way just because its cheaper.
Thankfully I chose the Micra CVT and am absolutely delighted to own it. Its a gem of a transmission and extremely refined powerplant too. I regularly get 14.5 to 15kmpl in Pune city.
That is NOT the point at all! The point is that other manufacturers have been offering a wide range of automatic vehicles for a long time now, Maruti is finally being a bit modern by doing the same.

Anyways, the 3+1 AT gearbox was more than sufficient for the Ritz, although it needed refinement. Also, an AMT gearbox is actually more expensive to build than either a regular MT, AT or CVT.

Top Bottom