Why Does Tata Motors Require Narain Karthikeyan?

Thread Starter #1
TAI-gers, today I came across an article in Economic times with the headline "Narain Karthikeyan to benchmark Tata Motors vehicles to competition and give feedback on how to match them"

I have even prodived the link for those readers to get more of the news.

Read more at:
Narain Karthikeyan to benchmark Tata Motors vehicles to competition and give feedback on how to match them - The Economic Times

Is Narain Karthikeyan really needed for Tata Motors to benchmark its new cars? Anyways, he has been in Tata Motors for the past 4 years tuning their products like Vista,Manza and Aria working under Dr.Timothy Leverton - Head of Design at Tata Motors. And now we all know that Bolt and Zest are also tuned and benchmarked by Narian himself as told by him on the unveiling ceremony of Bolt and Zest.

My point to start this thread is, before joining of Narian in Tata Motors ie., 4 years ago, how were they doing them? And who were the key benchmarking stalwarts and what are the methods used for benchmarking in any automotive industry?

Thread Starter #3
My point here is to figure out why Narain is really needed to tune the vehicles? Is it just a marketing gimmick or there is really some sort very quality tuning happening to Tata Vehicles?
I am expecting somebody with insight knowledge of how tuning happens inside the automotive companies, give us some knowledge about these.

My point here is to figure out why Narain is really needed to tune the vehicles? Is it just a marketing gimmick or there is really some sort very quality tuning happening to Tata Vehicles?
I am expecting somebody with insight knowledge of how tuning happens inside the automotive companies, give us some knowledge about these.
If you look into multiple angles there are points to justify.

First. TATA Motors is a relatively new player into passenger vehicles. It requires a person who can give a first hand feedback and insight into making comfortable, fun-to-drive & driver friendly vehicle. I think no one except NK can be a good adviser here.

Second. They need well engineered vehicles to withstand torture for long lasting life. He should also be able to sit with the engineers will be able to engineer better durable and quality parts and which can withstand rough wear and tearing

Third. TATA Motors requires a prominent person to promote its vehicle. And a person from motor sports is much better person to promote than a film star as he can bring more insight into the product that stand just like an emblem.

Now another argue may be that he can help in promoting good handling cars but what about FE. That part can be reverse feeded by the engineers to NK.

So I think NK can be replaced by none other.

Thread Starter #6
If you look into multiple angles there are points to justify.

Now another argue may be that he can help in promoting good handling cars but what about FE. That part can be reverse feeded by the engineers to NK.

So I think NK can be replaced by none other.
What a good view of looking at this through different angles. I feel that their cars since many years are quite good at ride and handling. And now added to that NK is headed to test and fine tune their vehicles both as a performance vehicle and as a FE vehicle.

I like your statement that NK can be replaced by none other - and who else can do it better than the past F1 drivers!!!

NK is associated with TML long ago. He was sponsored by TML from his F1 days. TML is in a race to benchmark their products globally. NK with vast experience in driving cars at 250 kmph+ is the ideal contender for the job. Advertising with NK may not be a viable option as he may not have that reach like a film/cricket star.

Thread Starter #8
NK is associated with TML long ago. He was sponsored by TML from his F1 days. TML is in a race to benchmark their products globally.
Maybe that is the reason why Tata motors cars' ride and handling were good even with the old Indica DLG Turbo. Is it only me who feels that ride and handling is much better of Tata cars when compared to Mahindras, Hyundais and most of Marutis or are there anybody who have even felt this after driving all the brands of cars?

TML is in a race to benchmark their products globally.
"Benchmarking their products globally" [clap]? How does that differ from benchmarking locally? and what would be standards that they meet now when compared to local standards?

Maybe that is the reason why Tata motors cars' ride and handling were good even with the old Indica DLG Turbo. Is it only me who feels that ride and handling is much better of Tata cars when compared to Mahindras, Hyundais and most of Marutis or are there anybody who have even felt this after driving all the brands of cars?

"Benchmarking their products globally" [clap]? How does that differ from benchmarking locally? and what would be standards that they meet now when compared to local standards?
Its a fact that, what we get here is sub global standard from all manufacturers. I'm talking about India made models. What Tata make in India is sold globally with no major changes. So in case of TML, local means global. That will be a great thing for us..!![:)]

Top Bottom