Hyundai Directed To Refund By Consumer Court Due To i10 Woes

Thread Starter #1
Hyundai directed to refund consumer for faulty steering wheel and Poor mileage BY TEAM B&C PANAJI: Car manufacturer Hyundai has been directed by a local consumer forum to refund a sum of Rs 5,03,062 as compensation to a customer for selling a car with a defective steering wheel. In a complaint filed at the South Goa District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, the complainant, CIJONI MATILDA DIAS from Margao, in February 2012, stated that at the time of purchase the car was running well. However, within 10 days, the steering wheel developed problems and was not rotating properly, to the extent that when the wheel turned either to the right of left while driving it remained in the said position and did not freely return back to its normal position, that is, straight position. Rotating the wheel was difficult even though it had power steering.

Also, she proved by way of a mileage test conducted by Hyundai that the car only gave a mileage of 12 kms per litre which was far less than the company's claims of 21 kms per litre.

According to her, despite repeated complaints by the complainant to the car dealer, the steering wheel was not replaced nor was the mileage problem rectified. In order to secure her safety, the complainant took the car to an independent service station to allay her fears and also took the opinion of mechanical engineers, both of whom opined that the steering wheel had a manufacturing defect and that it was dangerous which could lead to an accident. The respondents (both the car company and the dealer) in their replies disputed the complaint and contended that there was no defect in the car after it was inspected during the first free service. They also denied any deficiency in service on their part. The forum, relying upon the documents and other material placed before it, observed that the company failed to deliver a vehicle free from any defects which is their bounden duty, and directed Hyundai to refund a sum of Rs 5,03,062 along with interest at 9 per cent per annum from the date the car was purchased. It directed the complainant to hand over the vehicle upon refund. The forum also directed that company to pay an additional sum of Rs 25,000 to the complainant towards mental pain and suffering.

ORDER AVAILABLE AT http://164.100.72.12/ncdrcrep/judgement/33547131212133952136Cijoini.htm

Re: Hyundai i10 - poor mileage an hard steering - CONSUMERS COURT

Congratulations for winning your Case . Hyundai petrol always give poor mileage . I also own a i20 petrol and in summers it give 6-7 KMPL.[anger][frustration]

Also, she proved by way of a mileage test conducted by Hyundai that the car only gave a mileage of 12 kms per litre which was far less than the company's claims of 21 kms per litre.
In that case very i10 onwer in the country should be compensated.

one of the lucky person who has won the battle against car company, that to in India.
Many are fighting, this will give them some more encouragement.

Last edited:

Hi,
For winning such case, we need each and every document from the time of purchase till the Service/Issues report. We need to get everything in writing.

Congratulations for winning your Case . Hyundai petrol always give poor mileage . I also own a i20 petrol and in summers it give 6-7 KMPL.[anger][frustration]

You must check your car. I am having i20 Asta model [Dec 2011]. I am happy with the mileage that it gives me; 14-15kmpl in City & 19kmpl on Highway with AC.
[Neither I drive rash nor to a very optimist condition.]

There might be some problem with ECU; get clean your cars Fuel Injector. Also check that the fuel return pipe is properly connected to the Injector system.

I always use Motul 300V 15w50 oil for my i20.

You can try for Castrol brand, I use this in my Ford Ikon.
Castrol India - Castrol Edge

Coolant
Castrol India - Castrol Radicool Heavy Duty Coolant

You must check your car. I am having i20 Asta model [Dec 2011]. I am happy with the mileage that it gives me; 14-15kmpl in City & 19kmpl on Highway with AC.
[Neither I drive rash nor to a very optimist condition.]

There might be some problem with ECU; get clean your cars Fuel Injector. Also check that the fuel return pipe is properly connected to the Injector system.

I always use Motul 300V 15w50 oil for my i20.

You can try for Castrol brand, I use this in my Ford Ikon.
Castrol India - Castrol Edge

Coolant
Castrol India - Castrol Radicool Heavy Duty Coolant
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I use Shell oils I think and mine is 2012, 11K on Odo and only 2 services. I will get check everything in May or April. I actually don't believe your figures cause according to me its impossible (Except in winters). On highway it emptied my pocket with mileage of 11KMPL With AC

Very good to see such successful appeals for justice.

I am sure the Rs.25K is not going to restore the strain undergone, but, nonetheless, the judgement is encouraging for others to take up their unresolved cases to consumer court.

I feel, the courts should ask the Hyundai service center to display this judgement in the vehicle service area so that, the service advisors, supervisors and mechanics are all aware of what they are against.

Not enough.
What about other poor customers? How will you make sure they don't do it in future?
There must be a pinch somewhere.What is this amount to Hyundai?
My suggestion will be the amount quoted to be given by the dealer and a fine of 10 Cr for car company.
This will at least make the company to think of better quality control and customer service .

A great news indeed, pretty amazed to see that the case was solved well in time as compared to other consumers who have cases still running after 5-6 years.

I don't understand though, why can't the dealer, the manufacturer take the responsibility to rectify the mistake, acknowledge the same. Not will it only save the time, the hassle, the money , but also will give a impression to others who are willing to put in their hard earned money in buying a car and a trust and faith on the company, why do most of them have their ego ahead of all?

Cheers for win win! [clap]

Thread Starter #12
Hyundai directed to refund consumer for faulty steering wheel and Poor mileage BY TEAM B&C PANAJI: Car manufacturer Hyundai has been directed by a local consumer forum to refund a sum of Rs 5,03,062 as compensation to a customer for selling a car with a defective steering wheel. In a complaint filed at the South Goa District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, the complainant, CIJONI MATILDA DIAS from Margao, in February 2012, stated that at the time of purchase the car was running well. However, within 10 days, the steering wheel developed problems and was not rotating properly, to the extent that when the wheel turned either to the right of left while driving it remained in the said position and did not freely return back to its normal position, that is, straight position. Rotating the wheel was difficult even though it had power steering.

According to her, despite repeated complaints by the complainant to the car dealer, the steering wheel was not replaced nor was the mileage problem rectified. In order to secure her safety, the complainant took the car to an independent service station to allay her fears and also took the opinion of mechanical engineers, both of whom opined that the steering wheel had a manufacturing defect and that it was dangerous which could lead to an accident. The respondents (both the car company and the dealer) in their replies disputed the complaint and contended that there was no defect in the car after it was inspected during the first free service. They also denied any deficiency in service on their part. The forum, relying upon the documents and other material placed before it, observed that the company failed to deliver a vehicle free from any defects which is their bounden duty, and directed Hyundai to refund a sum of Rs 5,03,062 along with interest at 9 per cent per annum from the date the car was purchased. It directed the complainant to hand over the vehicle upon refund. The forum also directed that company to pay an additional sum of Rs 25,000 to the complainant towards mental pain and suffering.

ORDER AVAILABLE AT http://164.100.72.12/ncdrcrep/judgement/33547131212133952136Cijoini.htm

further :Hyundai did appeal in the STATE CONSUMERS DISPUTES COURT.
The court has dismissed the appeal and directed HYUNDAI MOTORS to stop unfair trade practice by changing their website that assures 20Kms/ltr
within a period of 30 Days and report compliance.

Attached is the order . hyundai appeal.jpg

Well, when i read the thread topic, felt it happened sonewhere in US OR another country, but after opening this thread, was surprised and happy to see its in india,

India is changing, and we indians should change it.

Top Bottom