The "National Car" Of India?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys. I wanted to know if we have the official "National Car Of India" ?
If you had a chance to vote for one, which would it be ?
I feel many will say the ambassador. Even i say so.
Lets be in the modern day of automobiles for this post.

Let me begin with my view.
In general - Swift as many prefer it.
I would opt for Mahindra XUV500 as the national motor. Reason- it being a INDIAN
brand [;)]

In general - Swift as many prefer it.
I would opt for Mahindra XUV500 as the national motor. Reason- it being a INDIAN
brand [;)]
Doubt on Swift, as when you mean national car, it should be Indian right? So, on today scenario, the ones of either Tata or Mahindra will have to be the one.

With that condition and looking at the road presence, I think it's Indica [clap]

GUYS What about Maruti 800.

The first car ever owned by many Indian families .Itwas first manufactured in 1983 and more than 2.4 million have been sold since. Iconic car brand that had been carrier for millions of Indians. The car, costing Rs. 50,000 ($803) when launched, recent prices at Rs. 2,35,000(Ex Showroom Delhi).

Attachments

Thread Starter #7
Doubt on Swift, as when you mean national car, it should be Indian right? So, on today scenario, the ones of either Tata or Mahindra will have to be the one.

With that condition and looking at the road presence, I think it's Indica [clap]
Swift is a Maruti Suzuki. It is an Indian manufacturing company but subsidiary of Japan :tongue:
Maruti Suzuki India Limited (/marut̪i suzuki/), commonly referred to as Maruti and formerly known as Maruti Udyog Limited, is an automobile manufacturer in India. It is a subsidiary of Japanese automobile and motorcycle manufacturer Suzuki. As of November 2012, it had a market share of 37% of the Indian passenger car market. Maruti Suzuki manufactures and sells a complete range of cars from the entry level Alto, to the hatchback Ritz, A-Star, Swift, Wagon R, Zen and sedans DZire, Kizashi and SX4, in the 'C' segment Eeco, Omni, Multi Purpose vehicle Suzuki Ertiga and Sports Utility vehicle Grand Vitara.

The company's headquarters are on Nelson Mandela Road, New Delhi. In February 2012, the company sold its ten millionth vehicle in India
Tata Sumo can also be in consideration. The famous "cab" [clap]

How did i not get an instance of gypsy in my mind? I take back my selection of XUV500 and swap it with the GYPSY [evil]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
It would actually be very very interesting to know how many people will prefer a fully loaded ambassador in today's world? I mean with all the gizmos we have in 2014 luxury cars
Ambassador was and will be always in contention.

Maruti 800 no doubt
800 showed what a car is to to be to India.
Before 800 people used to open their hood every day they plan to go out on their car.
800 gave way to these modern cars in India.
Suzuki export it to india but i think it can be said as the official car of India because it win many Indian hearts

Last edited:
I agree, it has to be maruti 800. I doubt if there is a person in India who has not traveled in a 800. It revolutionized Indian car market in every sense. Everyone connects with it in some way.

Ambassador's time is long gone. It used to sell mainly because of lack of choices 2 decades back. It wont sell any numbers now no matter what they do with it (Note: our first family car was a diesel Amby).

Thread Starter #12
But I don't know may be Ambassador Kind of appeals to me more than the 800. The build may be the reason. Its a macho motor man!!

For me the order of priority would be:
Gypsy
Amby
M800

Top Bottom