Is Definition of 'SUV' Changing in Automotive Industry?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Is industry changing definition of SUV ??

very interesting discussion Mr.!
I feel that manufactures are somewhat misleading customers by calling them SUV. they're beefed up hatchbacks at best. or perhaps we need a defination of entirely new class which is mini SUV.

1)the minimum of what I call mini SUV is something like duster.

2) when when compared to fortuner /safari the new xuv 500 is still quite compact. so what will be the distinction between full size SUV and mini SUV? is it the seats, size, wheelbase or something else?

experts please guide.

Re: Is Industry Changing the Definition of 'SUV'?

Previously in this segment only,Quanto & Ecosport were there,now all the manufacturer are launching their product in this segment.

For me Auto industry has started giving bigger ground clearance, putting spare tire at back and have started branding it as SUV! Its a joke!

For me 4WD for SUV is must. The ruggedness is must! Capability to go anywhere is must. The engine must have good torque.

Anyway its a morden era and these are Urban SUV's.. the meaning is they can climb any street in city, can give you good high view of street. They will give you look of SUV and yet they are compact to drive on crowded street! They are feature rich so you dont miss sedan! They are easy on pocket due to size of SUV and engine size and good fuel efficiency. Thats a new definition of Urban SUV.

FIAT have never used term SUV, they call it cross over.
As far as others are concerned, they call their respective vehicles compact SUV.
And I think nothing wrong in it.

IMO, the real SUVs are only the ones have proper 4X4. Even all wheel drives are not SUVs.

Thread Starter #7
FIAT have never used term SUV, they call it cross over.
As far as others are concerned, they call their respective vehicles compact SUV.
And I think nothing wrong in it.

IMO, the real SUVs are only the ones have proper 4X4. Even all wheel drives are not SUVs.
Hi, i believe even by using SUV name they are disrespecting real SUVs !

Companies are only intending to make cash on name of SUVs by confusing people.

These cars should be called cross utility vehicles...CUVs.

Cars like taigun and adra are size of ford fusion but ford never called fusion SUV. did they ?!

Last edited:
The Mitsubishi Pajero was a SUV in the real sense of the word atleast in India. The to be launched ADRA can be strictly called a cross over. Should SCORPIO be called a SUV or a BIG JEEP????.

Your take on this

For me Auto industry has started giving bigger ground clearance, putting spare tire at back and have started branding it as SUV! Its a joke!

For me 4WD for SUV is must. The ruggedness is must! Capability to go anywhere is must. The engine must have good torque.

Anyway its a morden era and these are Urban SUV's.. the meaning is they can climb any street in city, can give you good high view of street. They will give you look of SUV and yet they are compact to drive on crowded street! They are feature rich so you dont miss sedan! They are easy on pocket due to size of SUV and engine size and good fuel efficiency. Thats a new definition of Urban SUV.
Fully agree, these are not SUV's, Ford ecosport & Honda Vezel have termed them as urban SUV's.. That s a new segment all togather, more in demand in Indian market due to price & Fuel Economy..also ground clearence is another factor since we all are aware of Indian roads which easily takes on sedans like honda city..

I feel these are beefed up hatchbacks or cross over vehicles and not SUVs. the concept of urban SUV is something very new and mere having a higher ground clearance and a spare tire in the rear does not make it an SUV. we should not go by the name and compare with conventional SUVs. Venom relax boss they are a different breed. I know it'll be like what is happening but you cannot help it.

I have noticed that majority of SUVs with front and rear grill Guards. Already the SUV is tall, bonnet raised, then why do they need a front grill guard? It definitely add more weight to vehicle. Any other advantages?

These cross over vehicles are becoming the next best thing and all automobile manufacturers around the globe is coming out with some models.The main point is that these cars are most desired by the young customer.Another point is that the manufacturing is always done on an existing platform which reduces R&D expense.
In India crossovers are happening with the small vehicles too.
Like etios cross over ,Punto ,Polo etc.
As we know we get very base models in the initial stages.So these crossover may give some more gizmos or safety for a little higher price.
Definitely we must not call them SUVs as SUVs are supposed to be more robust and powerful.

I think, the second car that many dream off would be a SUV with the hulk look and strong road presence.

In addition to dreaming a SUV, people want higher mileage like their current cars (hatch backs or sedans). They also want the comfort of being able to park in their parking lots and ease to drive.

However, most of SUVs are expensive (nearly 17+ on-road-price) and also small families may not need such huge SUV (parking space issues, mileage, maintenance issues, etc).

This is where the compact SUVs or cross-overs are coming into picture. They provide better fuel efficiency, have the hulk look and cost lot less than SUVs like Storme and Fortuner. In addition, I feel the styling of these mini-SUVs is totally attractive to make people turn heads.

In fact, the concept of "mini-"XYZ appears to be coming up across industries. We have Samsung Galaxy G4 and a Galaxy G4 mini; a HTC One and a HTC One mini and so forth. If parents have Galaxy G4, the kids can have the G4 mini ;)

Although, we cannot call these mini- version as SUVs, manufacturers are satisfying the wishes of tons of people by bringing in such models.

Top Bottom