Now Compact Sedan From Skoda Based on Rapid

Thread Starter #1
Skoda Auto India showcased the Yeti facelift and the Superb facelift at the recently conducted Auto Expo 2014. However, the onslaught of new models from the Czech car maker won’t end here as it has emerged that it plans to launch a range of new cars in India in near future.

One of these new model would be a compact sedan based on the Rapid C Segment contender. Quite obviously, the upcoming model would measure less than four meters in length and hence, would benefit from excise duty concessions being provided to such cars by Government of India. The upcoming Skoda Rapid Compact Sedan would be seen battling it out against established models such as the Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire and the Honda Amaze as well as new entrants such as the Hyundai Xcent.

Read more at Skoda Rapid Compact Sedan in pipeline! - Motoroids.com

The sub 4m category is on fire. Whats next? Scala, Sunny? Or Storme (this would be a cracker from TATA [evil])?

Re: Compact Sedan from Skoda based on Rapid

Market is getting flooded with Sub 4m sedans.
Wait... with Fabia being 4m in length what would Skoda do with same platform to make a sub 4m sedan? Should we expect a complete makeover or just a rumor?[confused]

[;)]^^May be a Fabia CS soon
But how? Fabia being 4m in length to make it CS (with the same platform / architecture) they should move the rear seat few inches towards front. I don't think Skoda will spoil the comfort.

^^How a dzire is made, how a amaze is made, in similar way buddy, it was just my prediction

It is very difficult to get sedans out of Polo and Fabia as both the cars are just short of 4m in length, in fact which has been done to suit Indian taxation. The global versions are over 4m in length. Same with Punto also.

^^How a dzire is made, how a amaze is made, in similar way buddy, it was just my prediction
But buddy, consider this.

Swift, Brio, Grand i10 were well short of 4 m and they were able to design a Sedan touching the 4m mark. Cars like Fabia, Polo, i20 are all very close to 4m and making a Sedan out of them will not b practical. Even if they do, it will compromise a lot on comfort, wheelbase, design.

If I am not wrong, Fabia and Vento are on the same platform and same is the case with Polo and Vento, similar to Jazz and City. So they already have sedans on the same platform and compact sedans IMO is out of picture [:)]

^^The best example for your question is Swift Dzire, nothing much is required to explain here. If Skoda wants they may try doing something like that

^^The best example for your question is Swift Dzire, nothing much is required to explain here. If Skoda wants they may try doing something like that
Sorry buddy, I re-iterate. Swift is not the correct example here. Checking the facts from the corresponding vehicle websites, these are the lengths.

1. Swift - 3850 mm and Swift Dzire - 3995 mm. Diff of 145 mm.
2. Brio - 3610 mm and Amaze - 3990 mm. Diff of 380 mm.
3. Grand i10 - 3,765 mm and Xcent - ~ 4000 mm. Diff of ~235 mm
4. Figo - 3795 mm and hence has a Sub 4m Sedan planned on the same platform.

Now consider Fabia - 4000 mm (0 mm left) and Polo - 3970 mm (30 mm left). This is why I felt making a Compact Sedan from Fabia does not sound practical.

However, it is not impossible, they will have to make a compromise. Usually all the Compact Sedans have a slightly higher wheelbase compared to the respective Hatchbacks. Here, they will have to reduce the wheelbase to make a Sub 4m sedan out of Fabia which will reduce the comfort of the occupants.

I am not an automobile expert. But above are my views based on my limited experience. Pardon and please do correct me if I am wrong. [:)]

^^You are absolutely correct buddy, don't need to be sorry. Yes if they have to make a sedan out of Fabia, then they need to do those changes as you told, if not they may reduce Rapid to make a compact sedan who knows.

^^You are absolutely correct buddy, don't need to be sorry. Yes if they have to make a sedan out of Fabia, then they need to do those changes as you told, if not they may reduce Rapid to make a compact sedan who knows.
True that. If Skoda builds a Compact Sedan, that will be by making quite a lot of design changes in Fabia / Rapid. But Yes, they can use the same platform which will help the economics but will take some time though [:)]

I assume it to be a refreshed Fabia/Complete new car based on the Fabia/Rapid platform. Considering the build quality, engine, transmission and etc I doubt how they keep the cost under control and how will 4M tax reduction helps the buyer if the car price is already expensive? Fabia for example was the most expensive hatch in those days and I am sure they can not make a less expensive car without compromising on quality.

...I am sure they can not make a less expensive car without compromising on quality.
Why not boss?? What if they charged premium for the Skoda brand while introducing the car? What if they aimed huge profit initially and priced it high? Usually sellers adopt 2 methods to gain profit.

1. Smaller profit per piece X Mass sales
2. High profit per piece X Premium sales

What if Skoda had preferred latter earlier and if they opt for the former now, they can sell the Fabia at a similar price range as they were introduced [:)]

Top Bottom