Why Indians Don’t Prefer Station Wagon Cars?

Thread Starter #1
Hello everybody :)

I had a look at this forum being interested in what's going on around the world.

What's interesting to see is that there seem to be a lot of chauffeur driven cars in India. In Europe a full time chauffeur costs at least 2000 $ upwards. So it's not an option for most people.

Another peculiarity is that there are lot'S of tiny sedans but no Station Wagons.

If you already have a problem with the size of cars why not buy a station wagon which offers much more space and practicability than a sedan.

I'm talking of cars like these:

RENAULT_CLIO_SW_ESTATE-front_pic.jpg

seat-leon-st-kombi-2014-09915-1374571360.jpg

Skoda-Rapid-Spaceback-2013-IAA-Kombi-tL_0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard to TAI.

Yes you are correct, Indians are quite averse to station wagons. People either go for mini sedans, sedans or SUVs but not SW. Mainly its an image and perception issue.

Many SW have been launched in India over ages but almost each failed.

The most successful SW in India (in terms of sales) has been home grown TATA Indigo Marina.

In our country, if there is space in car. We guys will add some seats and make it useful[lol]. That is why SW failed in India.

Even I seen people comparing MUV with Station Wagon and saying why Station Wagon is not like MUV[gun]

Our country people prefer SUV/MUV over Sedans, Sedans over Hatchback. So SW failed.

Hi Elsombrero,
Welcome to The Automotive India.In India the culture and activities are different.We don't have a two day weekend and there is no such thing as weekly or monthly outing like camping,touring,trekking,fishing,rafting.This is mainly because we have other priorities in life to take care of.Our primary health care system is as basic as it gets,we don't have universal health insurance, social security and pension.Only those with such safety nets can go for leisure trips often,so the need of station wagons are very less.Once the pension and social security becomes universal maybe station wagons stand a chance,but that is a very far horizon.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Last edited:
Very good point Aneesh. SW being a lifestyle vehicle it does not gel with Indian lifestyle where we have so many other priorities in life.
Often in west people have SW as second car. People back here do not own two cars due to lack of parking/finances/mentality.

Yep Anshuman8.parking is a big woe.Mentality is changing but the infrastructure can't keep with that.So for the foreseeable future this segment will not be viable.

The biggest problem i feel is the 4meter rule for taxes
All manufacturers want to save margins
Hence even sub4 SUVs!
I dont see any change in station wagon status till the rule changes

You have posted thrice the same details. Ask mods to delete.

yes the 4m rule was given only for small cars but now manufacturers want to put everything to that category/size which is ridiculous.

Hats off to the minister/official who had conceived this, has opened a new trend in automotive global design.

Re: Why Indians Don’t Prefer Station Wagon Cars?

I think manufacturers have tried these models and have failed in the past, hence there are not many station wagons in Indian market now.

BUT as stupid as I may sound now, I feel the time is just right to launch a station wagon. The success of mini (pseudo) SUVs is the indicator. People dont need 7 seats, they only need space.

in my opinion we indians love station wagons but why station wagons are not gained market share in its segment? the only reason i say that the product position and pricing and looks and maintanance problems till now we didnt seen any proper station wagons in our county almoust all stations wagons are aging models appeared in india expect indigo marina So let me explain how these station wagons are died in country [;)]

TATA ESTATE:

View attachment 126709

I think TATA ESTATE is an india's fist SW its recieved well when it was launched in late 90's its most fav classic car for every one but with in few years its lost its charisma due to lack refinement and heavy on maintance but still we love these station wagon.

MARUTI BALENO ALTURA

View attachment 126710

maruti baleno altura is a 1st attempt in SW segment from maruti buts this sw also failed due to petrol only option and higher price tag

Skoda Octavia Combi:

View attachment 126711

Skoda OCTAVIA COMBI is good SW wagon when it was launched but due to premium price tag its failed

TATA Indigo marina (indigo SW)

TATA Indigo marina is highly successful SW in india market specially in taxi market but due to tata's niggling issues its failed

True. I too agree with the mass mentality in India where SUV > MUV > Sedan > Hatchback. And for most Indians, station wagon is just a bigger Hatchback [;)]

SUV is a status symbol and hence even 4/5 seater SUVs with a heavy price tag are a hit in India when the space and utility is same as a normal hatchback and the only advantage being the ground clearance.

MUV is for bigger families who need the third row of seats. Might not be as big a status symbol as SUV. But its anyways a BIG car.

Sedan for Indians is a premium car. Who cares if its 4m or less, it has a trunk and hence it is premium. Outside India in many markets Jazz (or Fit) is costlier than a City, but in India it cant be. Reason - City is a sedan and Jazz is just(!!!) a hatchback. Why City, if the 2014 Jazz is pricier than Amaze, we will go only for Amaze. Why? It has a trunk. Who cares about build quality, utility, space, comfort. Having Trunk is premium and has so much road-presence.

In reality Station Wagons comes between MUV and Sedan. Which has more utility space and more practical compared to a Sedan with the same seating space (4/5) and comfort. But for us its just a bigger Hatchback. Correct?? So any day, Station Wagon will be a flop in India unless the mob mentality changes, which I am sure will take time. [:)]

i would love to buy a indigo marina used car ,but fear of getting a lemon kept me from it. Now enjoying the Vista. Its larger,safer and can take 5 in comfort. The marina though still looks far better and is ideal for the family outing .Wish they had a Zest SW planned

my opinion is TATA should have to again consider indigo marina in the form of sub 4meter Compact station wagon (CSW) it will be big hit in fleet market and for personal buyers TATA should bring premium Compact Station Wagon in the form of TATA ZEST CSW [clap] if will be good practical 4/5 seater car with maximum boot space

True. I too agree with the mass mentality in India where SUV > MUV > Sedan > Hatchback. And for most Indians, station wagon is just a bigger Hatchback [;)] [:)]
Well! I am an Indian and do feel so. You gvie me station wagon at hatchback price, I'll any day buy that. BTW, MUVs also I don't like personally due to the same reason and less gorund clearance. I have a sedan and a hatchback. My next car would be a SUV due to its high ground clearance.

That's Indian mentality, period.

In 2006 my uncle almost decided to buy Marina LX. But the Tata sales people said it would have lesser resale after 5 years, so he went for regular Indigo LX. The price diff was about 60K only.

Top Bottom