Maruti Suzuki Celerio Officially Revealed. Returns 23.1 KPL.

Thread Starter #1
Maruti Suzuki has announced that bookings for the Celerio are open. The vehicle is to be launched at the 2014 Auto Expo that begins on Feb 5.

The Celerio has what Maruti terms ‘EZ Drive’ (an Automated Manual Transmission), variants of which return 23.1 kmpl in the ARAI mileage test.

The Maruti Celerio will launch with a petrol engine, paired to a five-speed manual or an Automated Manual transmission.

Through a webpage, Maruti has revealed a few parts of the car’s exterior and interior. From the promotional material, we’re able to see a Bluetooth-enabled audio system, steering-mounted controls for audio, manual aircon, 235-liter boot space, five-speed manual transmission option, fixed headrests for the front seats, map pocket on the co-driver seat back, dual tone interior and blinkers on door mirrors.

The Celerio was represented in the concept form last year at the Thai Motor Expo by the Suzuki A:Wind. It is the global replacement to the Alto (A-Star in India) but would keep the 1.0-liter K Series three-cylinder engine producing a maximum power output of 67 bhp and 90 Nm of peak torque.

Read more: Maruti Suzuki Celerio officially revealed, returns 23.1 kmpl

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
Re: Maruti Suzuki Celerio officially revealed, returns 23.1 kmpl

Hello,According to Car Dekho they have different kind of interior .Link of the same Maruti Celerio Rear Seats Interior Photo | CarDekho.com - India. I think it will sell like hot cakes ! Be ready for waiting periods or situation like Ford Ecosport
Brother the pic is of the concept car not the production version. And we must i think trust maruti's official website more then cardekho[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

For those who want to do away with the bother of modulating the clutch altogether, the big news is that the Celerio will be available with an automatic gearbox, which Maruti calls the 'EZ Drive' variant. While there's no clutch and you select 'D' for drive before you set off, it’s not an automatic gearbox in the traditional sense. It does not use a torque converter but rather relies on an electronic control unit that manages hydraulic actuators to control clutch engagement and gearshifts. What's amazing is that the basic five-speed gearbox is shared with the manual, and that keeps costs low as well. This setup is known to be more efficient than traditional automatics but does lack the torque build-up of a torque-converter auto.

In full automatic mode the Celerio auto performs satisfactorily. In traffic, upshifts are executed in a timely manner and downshifts are pretty acceptable too. You can also shift gears manually in M-mode; you push the lever forward for a downshift and pull back for an upshift, in a BMW-like manner. While this is unconventional, you soon get used to it, and using the gearbox in manual mode is quite nice. The box will even hold on to your choice of gear in manual.

This low-cost, high efficiency solution, however, isn't slick in the manner it operates under load. Here, shifts feel slow, the gearbox takes its time, and downshifts also tend to produce a bit of a lurch. Our performance test for the automatic version resulted in a 15.4 second 0-100kph, which isn't bad, all things considered.

More than performance, Maruti wants to market the Celerio automatic for its fuel economy. In fact, its 23.1kpl ARAI-tested figure equals that for the manual Celerio and significantly betters most of its manual-only competition. What helps is the low 800-odd kilogram kerb weight of the car, and the clean manner in which the engine makes power at low and medium engine speeds aids matters too.
Another area where the Celerio may have an edge over its competition is ride quality. The suspension is soft and absorbent enough at slow speeds yet does not make the car feel ‘floaty’ as you encounter mild dips at high speeds. Straight-line stability is good and the Celerio gives you a fair amount of confidence around corners too. The rear of the car does feel soft and soggy as you go faster, but for most buyers, it is the Celerio’s light steering and tight turning circle that will be the highlights.

More here ->

Maruti Suzuki Celerio 2014 | Cars First Drive | Budget hatchbacks | Autocar India

Attachments

Last edited:

The car looks quite 'Mature' yet fresh to me from the front, unlike the new gen Alto 800. The front grill actually reminds me a little bit of SX4. Whereas the tail of the Alto 800.

Overall this one, IMO, is going to be one of the most anticipated launches of this year.
Maruti, very rarely go wrong with the pricing. Hope they hit the right spot for that too!

Shame on Maruti for not giving Zxi for Automatic,no ABS & AIRBAG for people who want Automatic?Highly deplorable.Will vote against this arrogance with my wallet.

The car looks indeed very good & look proportionate - from the side it looks combine of A-Star & Alto 800, front head light portion similar to current gen i20, the back windshield is the exact copy of current gen Swift and back lights are from i20 & Alto 800 mixed. Again rear bumper from A-star and Alto combine.

The front is good, but the rear looks too much like the Alto!

What the hell?

Why not the A/T in the ZXi trim? Maruti always does this. Their Automatics are only offered in the VXi and this time in the VXi and LXi trims. The VXi offers nothing but power windows and central locking.

I atleast hope this car is significantly cheaper than the Hyundai i10 A/T because that is available in the top end and mid variant.

Well well, a new kid from Maruti, what do we got here?

The car looks good, side profile though is a mixed bag, rear is quite awkward, much better than the A-Star and if you ask me, they can replace with estilo too.

AMT seems to be music for my ears because it will definitely be a hit with woman and aged drivers particularly in urban region.

Prices are a little bit of concern keeping the new technology, anywhere below 6 lakhs (OTR Bangalore) would do good and will pull down i10 AT's for sure.

Why not the A/T in the ZXi trim? Maruti always does this. Their Automatics are only offered in the VXi and this time in the VXi and LXi trims. The VXi offers nothing but power windows and central locking.
Anyways does not matter for a buyer who needs just a basic A/T vehicle.

It doesn't appeal to youngsters.

Last edited:

I believe it's going to sell like hot cakes among youth, especially ladies. And if the Interiors are anywhere near concept presented, nothing can stop it from becoming the next 3 months waiting period car. No concern on the pricing as I believe Maruti is informed enough to make it killer pricing, possibly creating a all new AT segment withing the hatchbacks

Top Bottom