Does Cruise Control Makes Sense For Indian Highway Driving?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Pals,

I am in the process of evaluating a New Car for self. While I zeroed down to a particular car, I am confused between the TOP and the MID variant. The only feature the TOP variant fascinates me is the presence of Cruise controls.

I read somewhere on the internet that the Cruise controls feature is not suitable for Indian highways as you can't keep you speed limited for more than 5 mins at a time.
I want to know your opinions on cruise control facility for Indian highways and is it worth to spend 1Lac more on the TOP variant just to get the cruise control feature?.

Thanks,

Re: Is cruise control feature useful for Indian highways?

Hi,
Can you be more specific on the car model and variants and your usage and plans of making long trips. Cruise control is waste of money feature in India. As you are from hyderabad it can only be used on the ORR for 50kms max.Plus 1 lakh only for cruise control,may be they are other features. Please prefer the top variant for safety like airbags, ESP,ABS

bhvm

Honoured Member

you are right.
my xuv 500 has cruize control but you can't use more than 10 mins even on highway. one or the other thing comes in way.
it's good to have but definitely not a deciding factor.

Cruise control is just a show off considering the kind of roads we have, since you cant use it for at least half an hour. Good to have but definitely not worth spending 1L only for this.

I frequently use the cruise control facility available in my SUV. It is not a must features, but a useful feature. Cruise control is having option to increase or decrease the speed. The cruise control can be disengaged upon pressing the brake or control button. This can be used on state highways.

If you just want to sepnd 1Lac for Cruise Control. Then please dont do it.

Apart from Gujarat and Rajasthan Highways which are dead straight and less traffic, i personally find no use of cruise control on other roads. You may use it, but you may have to switch back to normal in 8-10 minutes. As no one follows the lane rules properly in India.

I would love to have Cruise Control for my long drives. Even if it is effective of just 10 minutes at a stretch, (though I personally feel that if used at reasonable speed, it will be quite effective on most of our highways), that is 10 minutes of rest for my right leg.

That is a wishlist for my next car...[;)]

I would love to have Cruise Control for my long drives. Even if it is effective of just 10 minutes at a stretch.
It is not a must features, but a useful feature. It is not necessary to have highways with "dead straight and less traffic", and apply cruise control only on highways. It is similar to 5th/6th gear. When you engage 5th/6th gear. Not necessary to be dead straight, and less traffic. As Highway Ranger said, 10 minutes break to right leg is welcome.

Personally i find cruise control a big boon for long relaxing drives :-

Its no of use if :-

1) You drive largely in cities
2) You drive faster than the average traffic speed , overtaking and dodging in highways/expressways.

Its immensely useful when :-

1) Relaxing your legs in long drives, your calf muscle begs for comfort if you are driving over 8 hrs in a day
2) you need to drive at just around the average speed(or slightly less) of the traffic in the highway/expressway, eg:- mum-pun expressway you can put cruise control between 90-100 and nearly do the whole highway except the ghats. Modern cruise controls let you reduce increase speeds from the steering itself - i find it immensely useful. I find cruise-brake-coasting-cruise rengaging pretty healthy from a FE perspective also - doing all of that staying in the top gear(overdrive).

Personally I think cruise control is a must have for long drives in the highways/expressways!It singularly helps reduce physical fatigue amidst all other luxury features.

Last edited:

im finding it really useful in my Fiesta. when i drove it in the 4 lane road, i found it really useful. i set the speed to 100 KMPH and there it goes. it was awesome. i could relax my legs. if you are planning to drive it in highways often its really useful or else its a mere waste in our Indian roads.

Last edited:

Top Bottom