All-New Suzuki 1.5-litre Diesel Engine For Compact SUV

Thread Starter #1
Dec 12, 2013
Suzuki is developing an all-new diesel engine family that will power a wide range of vehicles, which will include a small pick-up truck (code: Y9T), hatchbacks, saloons and a compact SUV.

This will be Suzuki’s first attempt at developing a diesel engine on its own. The company currently relies on Fiat for diesel technology, but moving forward; the Japanese car maker doesn’t want to be dependent on another manufacturer and is keen to have its own proprietary diesel technology. Also, the legal tangle between Suzuki and Volkswagen (the company bought a 20 percent stake in Suzuki in 2009) has meant that other companies have shied away from collaborating with Suzuki on diesel powertrains.

Suzuki’s first diesel engine will be an 800cc, two-cylinder diesel for the Y9T pick-up, which is expected to be launched in early 2015. Developing a diesel engine for the first time will not be easy and Suzuki will wisely test its first diesel engine in a commercial vehicle, where customer expectation is not as high as in passenger car segment. This same engine will be further refined to power a range of hatchbacks. Suzuki is hoping to climb the learning curve quickly before offering its diesel in passenger cars.

The next big leap will be a 1.5-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine, which will essentially be derived by joining two of the 800cc, two-cylinder diesels. Mathematically, this would result in a 1.6-litre four-cylinder motor, but it will be downsized to below 1.5 litres for the obvious tax benefits that can be gained.

This 1.5-litre diesel is expected to first power a designed-for-India compact SUV (code: YBA) which is expected in early 2016. This engine could also power future generations of saloons and bigger hatchbacks.

Another logical derivative of Suzuki’s new diesel engine family would be a 1.1-litre, three-cylinder engine. However, there is no plan to make this configuration yet.

SCOOP! All-new Suzuki 1.5-litre diesel for compact SUV | Car News | Budget SUVs | Autocar India

Re: SCOOP! All-new Suzuki 1.5-litre diesel for compact SUV

That's a good move to let themselves free of dependency of FIAT, but can they deliver is the million dollar question.It will be a big ask to reach Multijet engine's refinement and reliability.

I think they have already tried their own diesel engines on Zen D and Esteem D which were not too successful. Hope they come with a good one

It will take time as they will need a lot of research and testing before getting one i=on the road. Expect them not to step-in before 2016 for the passenger variant if they began research 6 months ago.

I think they have already tried their own diesel engines on Zen D and Esteem D which were not too successful. Hope they come with a good one
The diesel engine in Zen D and Esteem D is not their own. It's the engine from Peugeot Auto, France. It was once as hot as the Fiat Multijet now is.

Automobiles Peugeot (AP) of France has licensed its TUD5 diesel engine to the Mumbai-based Premier Automobiles. These cars had the Peugeot TUD5 engines used in Peugeot 309 were also strapped on shared with the Mahindra Jeeps, Premier Padmini, Zen D & Esteem D and also on the Hyundai Accent then.

^^Yeah they might be from Peugeot, but there were not successful has present Fiat engines, there were many issues with them. Yes even Premier Padmini run for some time but died down later on and they are no way in comparison with the present Fiat multijets, so if they are trying some thing on their own then the same should be superior than the Fiat.

^^Yeah they might be from Peugeot, but there were not successful has present Fiat engines, there were many issues with them.
Sorry Mr Gurrala,

They were in so much in high demand that Peugeot/Premier were unable to supply Maruti/Hyundai due to limited import/availability of spares.

Even after these models were out of production, resale value of these models commanded a bomb even for few years after.

Read here: Indian Express

Infact these engines are still in production strapped onto the Premier Rio BS III

Last edited:
^^I agree with you on the demand part as I owned one Fiat premier padmini diesel(used car) and we own a Zen D of 2001(with my in law) at present which is an amazing work horse even after 12 years of its service.

I just wanted to describe the popularity of the current Fiat engine vs those diesel engines[:)]

We'll it's unfare on your part as you are comparing a technology of the 90s with the ones in later 2000s.

There was a considerable development of technology. They were simple non-turbo engines and sturdy work horses. Development in technology has brought in refinement along with the Common rail technologies with high power in lower cc engines.

Yes I agree on the technology part as we have come long way and we have beautiful diesel engines which are very good at turbo and super refined with noise, BUT again all of them are not successful like Fiat engine, one makes more noise, one delivers less power which are modern engines and are in the same league(example, a diesel mill in Beat, looses out power on highway, yes it is a 3 cyl engine, a engine of Polo deliver more noise and poor on FE, some other need more maintenance).

So with the above, my whole point was to say that Maruti has to really work hard to come out with a such good engine like Fiat multijet which is the reason for their success of swift, ritz, dezire

Totally agree with your bro! They really need to work hard.

But I remember Suzuki had a diesel engine in the Vitara for Europe. But they did not get it to India, but came up with the petrol one

Yes I agree on the technology part as we have come long way and we have beautiful diesel engines which are very good at turbo and super refined with noise, BUT again all of them are not successful like Fiat engine, one makes more noise, one delivers less power which are modern engines and are in the same league(example, a diesel mill in Beat, looses out power on highway, yes it is a 3 cyl engine, a engine of Polo deliver more noise and poor on FE, some other need more maintenance).

So with the above, my whole point was to say that Maruti has to really work hard to come out with a such good engine like Fiat multijet which is the reason for their success of swift, ritz, dezire

Suzuki's engine plans for India - 1.5l

Maruti Suzuki may have more diesel options from its own portfolio of engines to power its vehicles, as parent Suzuki Motor is in an advanced stage of developing a new 1.5-litre four-cylinder power plant targeting the Indian market.
Suzuki has already developed an 800-cc diesel engine and Maruti is expected to start using it soon. That engine is built on a modular platform, so multiple derivatives of it are expected. After the 800-cc engine, it is working on two derivatives of a four-cylinder engine, a 1.6-litre variant for Europe and a 1.5-litre one for India.

This new engine is expected to complement the existing Fiat multi-jet engine and will not replace it. The aim is to offer wider choice to the customers

Ciaz sedan will also likely get the engine when it is upgraded

Suzuki Motor in advanced stage of developing new diesel engine - The Economic Times

Top Bottom