Mahindra Developing Scorpio and XUV500 Hybrid Variants

Thread Starter #1
According to a report on Economic Times, Mahindra & Mahindra is working on hybrid technology which can be used in vehicles with a manual transmission. The said technology could improve the vehicle’s fuel efficiency by about 20 percent.

A Mahindra Scorpio Hybrid prototype was shown at the 2008 Delhi Auto Expo.

The newspaper reports that this technology would be carried forward on the top-end variants of the XUV500 and Scorpio. The Indian utility vehicle expert could show something on these lines at the upcoming Auto Expo, which is set to commence for the media on February 5, 2014.

Rajan Wadhera, chief executive, technology and product development, Mahindra, said that the company has partnered with Samsung SDI for development and supply of lithium-ion batteries. Wadhera also said that the brand was “perfecting” this technology and would “deploy it in various platforms and vehicles across the Mahindra range”.

Further, Wadhera confirmed that Mahindra’s hybrid technology would be developed for a manual transmission, as it would be more fuel efficient and adaptable across their range of products. The Scorpio is the only Mahindra product with an automatic transmission presently.

Mahindra’s Micro Hybrid system is basically a stop-start system. There’s nothing hybrid about it.

Other technology partners in this project include Germany’s ZF, and tyremaker Continental.

Currently, the Bolero, Quanto, Xylo and Scorpio come with what the brand calls ‘Micro Hybrid’ technology, which is nothing but a stop-start system. Thus far, Mahindra have sold 400,000 cars with this technology in India.

Keen followers of the Indian auto industry would also remember that Mahindra showed a hybrid variant of the Scorpio at the 2008 Auto Expo. However, this concept (which was actually a prototype) used an automatic transmission and never saw the day of production.

Read more: Mahindra developing Hybrid XUV & Scorpio

Re: Mahindra developing Hybrid XUV & Scorpio, Auto Expo showcase likely .

Yes this is good news! I appreciate Mahindra for taking such bold steps in the area of Hybrid Technology while our Governments have been increasingly deaf on this subject. [clap]

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/10543-what-micro-hybrid-technology.html

Come April 2014 there is going to be some subsidies for HEV's and i hope that the industry will see a rejuvenation. We all know that Toyota & Honda are pioneers in bringing this revolutionary technology to the automotive world but i am sure that Mahindras could bring some excitement to the market. More OEMs will have to start thinking about introducing Hybrids into Indian market otherwise our oil thirsty country will reel under increasing oil prices making our life more miserable.

Mahindra’s Micro Hybrid system is basically a stop-start system. There’s nothing hybrid about it.
We cannot say as it is only start-stop system when when vehicle is started in the hybrid mode only a single cylinder is fired and not all the cylinders thus the fuel consumption is less. I think Mahindra deserves some credit for this.

Thread Starter #4

We cannot say as it is only start-stop system when when vehicle is started in the hybrid mode only a single cylinder is fired and not all the cylinders thus the fuel consumption is less. I think Mahindra deserves some credit for this.
Sir it's not me who thinks so , it is the author of the article who thinks and believes so [:D]. I have just posted the entire article here .

Sir it's not me who thinks so , it is the author of the article who thinks and believes so [:D]. I have just posted the entire article here .
:sorry: Sir no intentions to points on you sir. I just expressed my thoughts [:)]

Good news Raja, yes mahindra have been into getting their full hybrid technology into their range of vehicles but the showcased prototype never get into production line for various reasons.Lets see whats coming up in their new line ups in auto show and how much does it gets into production.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Mahindra XUV500 Hybrid to be launched next year. AT & Face-lift on cards too!

Team,

With the recent launch of next-generation Scorpio, Mahindra is not leaving any stone un-turned. The next SUV of Mahindra stable to get a face-lift along with a Hybrid and a AT variant is non other than the popular one i.e XUV500. The Hybrid variant will be launched in 2015 with face-lift and AT variant being in planning too.

Mahinda-XUV500-Hybrid-cutaway-live.jpg

Mr. Shah confirmed that the company was also working on an automatic transmission for the SUV, and the market launch would take place as and when the system is ready. Apart from the automatic transmission and a facelift, Mahindra is also prepping a hybrid variant of the car (Mahindra showcased a hybrid concept on the XUV500 at the Auto Expo this year, with an 18 percent improved fuel efficiency).
IAB

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Top Bottom