Your Likes / Dislikes About Various Car Models

Thread Starter #1
Can we make use of this thread to discuss about major flaws/disasters by these auto giants in particular to design / ergonomics / usability? If so, here are few from my side.

Disastrous Tail Lamp Design of many cars:

• Punto - Well, it's a car known to be fell in love for design. However, I "personally" feel, the tail lamp is disastrous, rather, not optimally designed for better usage. It has 3 lamps, 2 Red & 1 Orange for Blinker/Indicator. At first, why is the Indicator is in Orange while the contemporary design in most cars today are Clear White Glass with Orange shade inside? Second, both the red lamps been placed one after other and glows together, both as Tail Lamp and Brake Light. Rather, one could have been used as Tail Lamp and other as Brake Light. IMO, the ideal design would have been to have Red One in bottom most as Tail Lamp, Middle One for Indicator, and Top One as Brake Light as it would stand out better when worked with High Mounted Stop Lamp.

Another disappointment in Punto is the Reverse Lamp in the Bumper with Reflectors. Reverse Lamp in just one side and other with Red Light looks obviously odd. Rather, they could have simply kept Reflectors on both sides with Reverse Lamp in the center, to make it neat. Moreover, many of the Puntos I have seen, have this hanging around, maybe due to a hit or something. Not screwed well?!

• i-20 (Facelifted) - Again, One sided Reverse Lamp. Why Hyundai which is known for best and contemporary designs? Moreover, just like most of the cars today, it doesn't have a separate lamp for Brake and works with the same tail lamp. i-10 (Facelifted) is the way I would prefer.

• Vista - So many slots with a long christmas tree arrangement, probably covers the entire side of the car, to have all work together at the same time. Moreover, the design is such, that you won't mind whether it's working or not... [lol] Dull appearance with no clue of the light color either, similar to the 1st model of Swift.

• Swift (All Models) - Again, no separate arrangements. Just one slot, enough for all. The after market set ups and LEDs are making the car to stand out bold and better. Why not MS?

• Figo - Too many slots, no bulbs [frustration]. Saving on a Bulb for a car worth of lakhs? Moreover, the overcame this issue in the facelift. Just don't have too many slots and stick to one for all. Following MS, perhaps!

The list in this regard goes on for almost all cars today, sparing a very few.

Logan's Wipers

Well, we always have been stepchildren for these auto makers, by keeping cost effective specs for us compromising on comforts, LHS Driving Controls for one. But, even the wipers? How cruel on cutting cost WRT safety? If they are just about costs, what about our authorities to have them passed. Worst of all, it's predominantly used as Public Transport!

Likewise, omitting ORVM on left side, Rear Wiper & Defogger etc. Savings at the cost of safety!

Ergonomics of Duster - Positioning of most of the controls like AC, Power Windows are poorly designed for ergonomics. Hard to accept from a 12 Lakh+ car.

Design of Ritz - Yes, it's subjective! Yet...

I read somewhere (probably TAI) when the Facelift was launched "Ritz actually needs Rear Lift and not Facelift!" [clap]

Design of Evalia - Any idea what was on their mind while designing it?! Badge Engineering that with Ashok Ley Land is icing on the cake.

Disclaimer: All of these are my personal opinions and not to hurt anyone's sentiments. It's just for a healthy debate and if possible, to understand the other perspective or reason behind such designs.

Re: Your Likes / Dislikes on Various Car Models

Chevrolet Sail - Odd placement of the power window switches, they are located just ahead of the gear lever, and guess what, they are not even illuminated.

As said by figoian this thread is meant to be taken in a healthy perspective and not to hurt anyone's feelings intentionally.
Dislikes:

1.Rear end of nissan sunny : it looks quiet quirky towards the end , IMO both headlamps and taillights are not impressive.

2. Indigo marina : So what was Tata thinking while designing it.

3.Toyota etios and etios liva : Both these products are a total rip-off. My friend had an horrible experience and being witnessed the scene I totally dislike these car's built quality .I can share the experience if requested upon as I do not want to go off-topic.

1.Skoda rapid's alloys : I used to mention it often that these are one of the best designed stock alloys . Those alloys are totally cool on run looks shiny & sexy and looks premium.

2.Design of jazz: There is nothing to explain as it looks pure joy and totally a tuner.

3.Stance of scorpio and safari: looks totally muscular ; xuv can be added to this list but xuv is more exotic and muscular .

A good thread!
Polo/Vento - Beautiful,classic design.Polo is one of the most beautiful hatchbacks.
New Fiesta - Loved its front and what a beautiful steering wheel!
Swift - Beautiful central console and slick gearshifts
Ecosport - Stunning design,loaded with features,great alloys
Duster/Terrano - The magical suspension,can't believe it
Mercedes A class - That diamond grill!
Linea/Punto - The best steering and vault like build
City - Paddle shifts and a rev happy engine

Dislikes
Sunny and New Fiesta - What a lousy rear.
Etios/Liva - El cheapo interiors
Hyundai's - Too much of lines and creases,lifeless steering and lousy handling
Linea/Punto - Stupid ergonomics/pathetic gearstick and long clutch travel
Polo - The lower part of central console keeps hitting left knee
Vento/Rapid - Hard clutch,jokers haven't learned to make a clutch!
Duster/Terrano - Hard clutch and interiors
City - Tinny build and feature less
These are my personal opinions and there is no need for anyone to get offended and if someone gets offended its their problem!

Here are my bits:

Dislikes:

Honda Amaze: Dashboard, really too basic, boring, If I decide to buy topend Amaze, its relly not worth 9 laks!, No dead pad!

Toyota Etios: Dashboard, feels really out of place. Not sure, was it really difficult to simply redesign the dashboard when they changed so many things in Etios?

TATA Manza: Front view and back view are totally out of sync! They should have designed front more like a Chevrolet Beat to the Manza. Small cost cutting has failed a good product.

Nissan Micra/Sunny: That AC round controler honestly looks out of place!

TATA Storm: Single Dim music system really looks out of place for 10+ lakh SUV

Hyundai EON: Dashboard and interiors for its price looks definately upmarket

New Hyundai i10: Again the dashboard is so neatly designed and very well organized.

Honda Amaze Disel: Never expericed so smooth, leaner power delivery of a Disel car.

Chevrolet Beat: I really like different speedo and console of Beat. Gives really funky feel to the car.

Ford Ecosport: Dashboard is fine, but really like the way Ford has thought of small small things when it comes to usability inside Ecosport.

Nice thread Figoian !!

I had one dislike to point out, New ford fiesta looks so good to me, EXCEPT its rear tail lights size. They are very small and not proportionate to the rear end

Thread Starter #8

Good to see the thread shaping up well [clap]

My comments are inline.

Here are my bits:

Dislikes:

Honda Amaze: Dashboard, really too basic, boring, If I decide to buy topend Amaze, its relly not worth 9 laks!, No dead pad! Absolutely and the placement of Audio System slightly tilted towards the co-driver, quite odd isn't? Rather, it makes some sense to tilt it towards the driver.

Toyota Etios: Dashboard, feels really out of place. Not sure, was it really difficult to simply redesign the dashboard when they changed so many things in Etios? Actually, that's another cost effective technique of these auto giants, to keep it common for both Left & Right driven countries. Remember Vista? They then changed to Indian at last. However, it's unacceptable from a "pure" Indian company to be biased against Indians.

TATA Manza: Front view and back view are totally out of sync! They should have designed front more like a Chevrolet Beat to the Manza. Small cost cutting has failed a good product.

Hyundai EON: Dashboard and interiors for its price looks definately upmarket
New Hyundai i10: Again the dashboard is so neatly designed and very well organized.

Anytime Hyundai for their design sense. It's always makes one to feel contemporary, futuristic, up-market and tasteful. If I have to dislike Hyundai for their design is, Old Sonata! It looked so dull, lethargic and the rear looked like tons & tons placed in the boot [anger]

Chevrolet Beat: I really like different speedo and console of Beat. Gives really funky feel to the car. And the Graph-like Tacho is amazing! Wish more cars come with such ideas.

bhvm

Honoured Member

dislike-

Tata safari 3.0- poor clutch.
bogus headlamps (even Indigo has better lamps )

Toyota fortuner 2010 - seriously overpriced. no touchscreen or GPS.
useless brakes.

Toyota fortuner 2013- still no GPS.
Chinese face look headlights.

indigo Marina- wheel bearings wear out in just 15k km.
very poor quality sheet metal. bends if we even lean on it.

xuv 500- zero space with all seats up.
no sliding rails for middle row to liberate some space at last row.

maruti ritz- looks like someone kissed her from behind.
too big of a dash with zero nearby visibility .

Last edited:

maruti ritz- looks like someone kissed her from behind.
too big of a dash with zero nearby visibility .
I felt the dash is really huge like a SUV, but Ritz is too bad in terms of body roll while cornering and the tyres(165 section) are in appropriate for a tall boy car

Nothing specific from my side. As long as the ride is comfortable and I get the speed and power I want, I really dont care about the looks.
@ Figoian: Those Logan wipers have equal, if not better reach than other wipers for right hand hand drive setup. Even I didnt like them, but once saw them work in rain. They cover the windcreen very well; even the driver side. Have a look sometime. I dont see any safety issues with them.

Thread Starter #12

Nothing specific from my side. As long as the ride is comfortable and I get the speed and power I want, I really dont care about the looks.
It's just not about looks, but also about other design flaws which could have be more better mainly with utilization, usability, comfort, convenience, and looks as well.

@ Figoian: Those Logan wipers have equal, if not better reach than other wipers for right hand hand drive setup. Even I didnt like them, but once saw them work in rain. They cover the windcreen very well; even the driver side. Have a look sometime. I dont see any safety issues with them.
Oh, glad to know that. I have driven Logan, but not in rains. But, even if it's covering well, do you think it doesn't leave any blind spot at all? Of course, even RHS Wipers too would leave blind spot on the Left Top Corner, however, that's not as bad as the other side. IMO, it's risky to have an unclear vision on driver side, however small it is. If I will get a chance to drive Logan on a rainy day, I will be able to feel it practically.

On a relevant note, the best wipers would be the Butterfly Ones of the Civic. How thoughtful! But, why not other cars get one such? Even other Hondas didn't yet.

Nice thread Subbu[clap]

Here are the points from myside:

Dislikes:
1. Sunny's headlights, Taillights and rear profile.
2. Ritz rear profile.
3. Figo's ground clearance.
4. Logan's Wiper.
5. Outdated Indica's side profile.
6. Vista's Center console.
7. Liva/Etios Wiper, interiors & Build quality.
8. New fiesta's tail light.
9. Aria's tail light

2. Civic/Aria's Wiper
3. Civic's Front profile.
4. Strome's Muscle Look
5. Classic fiesta's Spolier.
6. Beat's cute front and rear profile.
7. Tail lights of Indica V2(2nd generation)
8. Swift's Sporty look.
9. boot space of Figo.

Thread Starter #14
The Speedo of Civic is something tantalizing to me [;)] Wonder, why not others come with such digital speedo? Cost must definitely not be a concern as even bikes of 40K has one.

Somehow I dont like the followings in the respective cars

• Nano - for its sound
  • Wagan-R - For its shape
  • Ritz-Rear shape
  • Sunny-Side portion of rear ends
  • Punto-For its name (I cant explain it here)
  • Swift-When you sit inside it looks like you are completly sunk into it and the rear window arrangements
  • Spark(you guys surprised)-its ground clearence and I think most of the cars has this problem

Top Bottom