15 Audi Owners Decide To Return Their Cars Due To ‘Poor Service’

Thread Starter #1
The businessmen who had bought the cars as a group took the decision when the manufacturer refused to replace one of their cars following an engine failure in April.

A bunch of Ambernath businessmen who had bought 10 Audi A4s as a group have come together to return their cars after the company refused to replace one of their cars following an engine failure. Five more new owners of Q5s have also joined this group.

To make matters worse for the company, the owners are planning to get their cars towed back to the dealer, saying it is beneath them to drive the car of a company "that treats its customers badly." The businessmen had bought their cars, which collectively cost Rs 3 crore, in 2011.

An Audi spokesperson said the company advised him to replace the engine but the customer insisted on getting a new car as a replacement.

On April 28, Sunil Chaudhari, president, Ambernath Municipal Council, was returning from Nashik when his A4 stalled in the middle of the highway. The vehicle was then towed away to the nearest service centre, where it was found that the engine had seized.

"My driver was driving at a normal speed when the car just stopped in the middle of the Nashik highway," said Chaudhari. "The engine shut down and the steering wheel got locked. We were very fortunate that the truck behind us braked and swerved in time."

The driver called the helpline and the car was towed away to Audi's Navi Mumbai service centre, where engineers said the engine had seized and will have to be replaced.

"I told them it was unacceptable," said Chaudhari. "A high-end car that costs Rs 30 lakh can't just break down like that. I have been getting it serviced at the authorised service centre."

When Chaudhari demanded a replacement on the ground that he was not at fault, he was told he could buy a new vehicle after exchange his car, valued at Rs 17 lakh.

"Since 10 of us had bought the same model at the same time, I got the other cars valued and found they fetched at least Rs 24 lakh," said Chaudhari. "And the company's offer still did not address the fact that my car's engine failed despite no fault at my end. I requested them to consider my request for a new replacement, but they were adamant that I pay more and buy an A6."

The Audi spokesperson said Chaudhari's car was trouble-free for the last 20 months except "this one incident." "Normal procedure would entail replacing the affected part (V-Belt)," said the spokesperson in an e-mail response. "However, to reinforce customer confidence, we advised him to replace the engine. But the customer insisted on getting a new car as a replacement."

With no solution in sight, the entire group has now decided to return the cars and collectively move on to another high-end car maker. "We chose Audi because we thought the cars will be durable, apart from being a luxury statement," said Dinesh Agarwal, another businessman from the group who owns a Q5. "But when we heard what they did to Chaudhari, we decided it will be best if we simply return the cars."

Meanwhile, Chaudhari, who had also booked aQ5 recently, is in the process of cancelling his order. "With a view to satisfy the customer, as a special case, our dealership (Audi Navi Mumbai) offered various trade-in offers," said the company spokesperson. "The customer declined the offers. The trade-in offers were made purely keeping customer satisfaction in mind. We are still in discussion with the customer."

15 bizmen set to return high-end cars after ‘bad service’ to one of them - Mumbai Mirror

Re: 15 Audi Owners Decide To Return Their Cars Due To ‘Poor Service’

The Audi spokesperson said Chaudhari's car was trouble-free for the last 20 months except "this one incident." "Normal procedure would entail replacing the affected part (V-Belt)," said the spokesperson in an e-mail response. "However, to reinforce customer confidence, we advised him to replace the engine. But the customer insisted on getting a new car as a replacement."

15 bizmen set to return high-end cars after ‘bad service’ to one of them - Mumbai Mirror
I think Audi has shown a good customer relation of changing the entire engine for the V-Belt snap.
I do not get the logic why they are entitled for entire car replacement. It may not be defective part (Audi can confirm),it might have happened due to the normal wear and tear.

I think Audi has shown a good customer relation of changing the entire engine for the V-Belt snap.
I do not get the logic why they are entitled for entire car replacement. It may not be defective part (Audi can confirm),it might have happened due to the normal wear and tear.
V belt must not go kaput in 2 years And 20k odd kms , Its not normal and specially in car like Audi .

If this would have happened in Europe or USA next day Audi would have send a brand new car .

But I don't understand why others are giving back their cars when their cars are working fine [confused]

V belt must not go kaput in 2 years And 20k odd kms , Its not normal and specially in car like Audi .

If this would have happened in Europe or USA next day Audi would have send a brand new car .

But I don't understand why others are giving back their cars when their cars are working fine [confused]
+1, to above.

I think its just to put extra pressure on the company to give a replacement car .
As all the 10 cars were bought together, returning all 10 cars would create an embarassing situation for the company after all its AUDI.

If this was a tata vehicle, all the people who are against this brand would have made a very big issues (Mostly imaginary ones). The bashings would have started from Kashmir to Kanyakumari. "AFTER ALL ITS AUDI" itself makes it clear the mentality of indians. We expect a lot more from foreign car manufacturers but unfortunately it is not the case.
I hope AUDI would come forward to help/ solve all the issues of these customers.

"I told them it was unacceptable," said Chaudhari. "A high-end car that costs Rs 30 lakh can't just break down like that. I have been getting it serviced at the authorised service centre."
I have to agree with him at this point. the high end cars are not supposed to snap like that, if that be the case he wouldn't have bought it. it is not merely a status symbol.
he depends on the vehicle for transportation. he was getting it serrviced at A.S.S. then why this happened? Audi must give an explanation and better off give him a replacement car.

For V-Belt snap entire car replacement[surprise].
I think these are modern car, and before giving up the car might have given enough warning about something is wrong with the car. Even a 6 L car has enough sensors to let you know about the status of the car.
Being Audi is technologically advance car, these thing might have caught up during some time before stalling.
May be owner did not paid much heed and it got snapped.

[confused]
I am not sure about the Europe part but I know that in USA a friend of mine faced a similar issue with his Audi and there also he was offered an engine replacement plus few more goodies in terms of service coupons, and extended warranty free of cost.
IMHO Audi is offering a decent enough solution though it is tough to believe Audi A$$ guys will do a perfect engine installation job. I also think the customer is trying to pull strings by forming a group and getting the job done, I still fail to understand why 14 other guys want to change their car? [confused]

For V-Belt snap entire car replacement[surprise].
I think these are modern car, and before giving up the car might have given enough warning about something is wrong with the car. Even a 6 L car has enough sensors to let you know about the status of the car.
Being Audi is technologically advance car, these thing might have caught up during some time before stalling.
May be owner did not paid much heed and it got snapped.
In Europe or USA ( some states more some less strict ) laws are very consumer orientated .
It can be a v belt going kaput , but the effects of v belt going kaput can lead to some fatal outcomes .

To preserve the brand value and litigation which goes in high cost high end car dealers just replace the car for the consumer so no negative publicity is done there are many such instances . So don't take my statement in literal sense .

Even laws are getting more stricter in Australia who are following the USA and Europe laws now .
The nation's peak consumer body - the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission ---- refused to confirm or deny whether a customer has received a full refund or a replacement vehicle since the tougher standards were introduced two years ago, despite refunds and replacement cars being commonplace overseas.
Further see what happened because of the snapping of vbelt did to owner in the case we are discussing so its not the v belt which in the first place can't go kaput so fast in a high end car like Audi which questions the components used even after charging such high premiuim .
"
My driver was driving at a normal speed when the car just stopped in the middle of the Nashik highway," said Chaudhari. "The engine shut down and the steering wheel got locked. We were very fortunate that the truck behind us braked and swerved in time."
And on the other forum a owner narrated his exprience of his 24 month, 18K KM old A4 getting seized not one but 2 times without zero blinking zero warning . So don't think car will allways show you signs .
Because of our forum rules I can't cut paste here . I have send you a pm which aftercreading can give you glimpse of the entire episode .

And if vbelt has gone kaput , why is Audi replacing entire engine ?
I am not sure about the Europe part but I know that in USA a friend of mine faced a similar issue with his Audi and there also he was offered an engine replacement plus few more goodies in terms of service coupons, and extended warranty free of cost.
IMHO Audi is offering a decent enough solution though it is tough to believe Audi A$$ guys will do a perfect engine installation job. I also think the customer is trying to pull strings by forming a group and getting the job done, I still fail to understand why 14 other guys want to change their car? [confused]
It depends on state to state in USA .

And maybe to avai the same benefits like your friend got this indian guy is pressuring Audi .

Last edited:

In Europe or USA ( some states more some less strict ) laws are very consumer orientated .
It can be a v belt going kaput , but the effects of v belt going kaput can lead to some fatal outcomes .

To preserve the brand value and litigation which goes in high cost high end car dealers just replace the car for the consumer so no negative publicity is done there are many such instances . So don't take my statement in literal sense .

Yes Raja, I completely agree with you. The failure part could lead to a very disastrous situation. If somebody has paid a premium , then he can expect the premium in return.
But my question is since this is a engine related issue, and Audi is agreeing to replace the entire engine, then what is need of demand of new car.

Yes Raja, I completely agree with you. The failure part could lead to a very disastrous situation. If somebody has paid a premium , then he can expect the premium in return.
But my question is since this is a engine related issue, and Audi is agreeing to replace the entire engine, then what is need of demand of new car.
Political bullying .simple only when he will do that he will get other benefits for free . I actually don't support his demands ( unless such problems occur more then 2-3 times were we can conclude Audi sold him a lemon ) , but also want Audi to learn a lesson .

Last edited:

Political bullying .simple only when he will do that he will get other benefits for free . I actually don't support his demands ( unless such problems occur more then 2-3 times were we can conclude Audi sold him a lemon ) , but also want Audi to learn a lesson .
A simple question. Let the person be who ever it might be.
Would you spend 35 lakhs or so and then two years down the line have the engine get replaced ? I surely wouldn't do so.

Remember these A4 or 3 series are the first step for most of the guys entering premium segment and for them this is almost a dream come true. For this guy it has turned into a nightmare !

A simple question. Let the person be who ever it might be.
Would you spend 35 lakhs or so and then two years down the line have the engine get replaced ? I surely wouldn't do so.

Remember these A4 or 3 series are the first step for most of the guys entering premium segment and for them this is almost a dream come true. For this guy it has turned into a nightmare !
Brother there is a difference between what we would like to happen and what usally happens .

I or anybody in India won't like their hard earned tax paid money used by politicians resulting in scams worth thousands of crores but it happens right ?

Audi India will simply accept their fault and replace the engine in this case , the owner will maybe not buy a Audi again .

What the owner is doing is justified emotionally but will it be justified legally in the court of law ? That is the point .

Hence my previous statement consumer laws are not strict and coustomer friendly in India .

Last edited:

Brother there is a difference between what we would like to happen and what usally happens .

Audi India will simply accept their fault and replace the engine .

What the owner is doing is justified emotionally but will it be justified legally ? That is the point .

Hence my previous statement consumer laws are not strict and coustomer friendly in India .
Exactly, it was never suppose to happen. An engine failure is not a suspension failure, while you register a car you write down your cars engine and chassis no. This will creature a problem when he tries to sell the car.

Term legally is itself a joke in a country like India. People here file a case, win it after 11 years and court orders a pitty 1 lakh as harassment relieve for 11 years !

As for Audi and VW, they are rated as most prone to engine failures in UK in a study in Jan 2013.

Here we pay twice the amount for an Audi A4, theoretically with 38 lakhs, you can buy an Audi A6 in UK. It maybe be due to high taxes but the customer is paying through his nose.

Exactly, it was never suppose to happen. An engine failure is not a suspension failure, while you register a car you write down your cars engine and chassis no. This will creature a problem when he tries to sell the car.

Term legally is itself a joke in a country like India. People here file a case, win it after 11 years and court orders a pitty 1 lakh as harassment relieve for 11 years !

As for Audi and VW, they are rated as most prone to engine failures in UK in a study in Jan 2013.

Here we pay twice the amount for an Audi A4, theoretically with 38 lakhs, you can buy an Audi A6 in UK. It maybe be due to high taxes but the customer is paying through his nose.
Exactly so I stated I want Audi to learn a lesson here . And unfortunate that we live in India were legal system is just a joke at times .

Top Bottom