Nissan Directed To Replace Defective Car or Refund Cost

Thread Starter #1
NEW DELHI: A consumer forum here has directed the Indian arm of Japanese automobile company Nissan Motors to either replace a defective car sold to a doctor or refund its cost.

The East District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum held Nissan Motors India liable to refund the cost of the vehicle, a Micra car, or replace it, saying the complainant was in "constant danger" of getting hurt due to the car's defective braking system which did not work properly despite replacement of the entire brake assembly.

"Taking the facts and circumstances into consideration and the material on record, we are of the view that the vehicle in question is suffering from manufacturing defect. Complainant is in constant danger of being hurt.

"It is only with the blessings of God that nothing untoward has happened so far when it is proved on record that brake system of this vehicle is defective and could not be set right even after replacement of the brake assembly," a bench presided by N A Zaidi said and directed Nissan to pay Rs 50,000 as compensation to the complainant, Delhi resident Dr Neera Bhan.

In her complaint, Bhan said in December 2011 she had bought the Nissan Micra car, which made a sharp sound when the brakes were applied. The car was sent to the workshop several times to get the brake problem rectified but the issue persisted.

Finally in June 2012, the brake assembly of the car was replaced despite which the problem persisted, Bhan alleged.

Nissan in its defence had denied the allegation that the car was defective, saying till filing of the complaint in 2012, the vehicle had been driven for over 30,000 km.

The forum, however, rejected the contention saying the "coverage of 30,000 km cannot be a defence in view of the clear admission of replacement of the break assembly".

It also observed that there was something "inherently defective" with the car's braking system since the problem re-occurred despite change of brake assembly.

Courtesy : Nissan directed to replace defective car or refund cost - The Economic Times

at least justice has prevailed. I would say she is very lucky to get the verdict in her favor that to complete car replacement or cost Reimbursement . There are so many people around who has got a lemon and struggling to get it rectified.
These are some of the lucky cases where the consumer wins the trial. Some of the case get forfeited due to bad documentation of the issues.

When I TDed the Micra last year (on my new car buying search), the brakes are the biggest negative I noticed in the car.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s-bought-figo-ford-titanium-3.html#post211931

Quoting myself:
"Biggest negative (and reason why I will not probably buy this) is the brakes. Totally inefficient. At 60 km/hr, you brake and its nearly 4-5 seconds it takes to come to a stand still. My current Spark does comparatively better. Absence of ABS does not help either. To Nissan (if you are listening).. the heavier diesel needs ABS+EBD. Drop the auto climate control and put in ABS+EBD."

Advise Micra owners to check their brakes' performance and if you don't find it confidence inspiring, report to the company and have it checked.

If this news spreads there will be a long 'Q' on the dealership and will affect the micra sales for sure.
The micra owners will be doubtful on every time they press the brake pedal, and they will check their brake system even if they were felt ok .

Yes! thats true. Now I will always feel doubtful, every time I apply brakes. Also, my ears will keep on hearing different-different sounds feeling that its coming from brake system.

Top Bottom