Are Used Diesel Hatchbacks Worth Buying?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Just out of curiosity when I browse classified for used diesel or even petrol car and always get surprised about the price quoted for e.g swift VDI 2009 model 65K mileage asking for 5 lakhs.

In my opinion whatever the condition why to spend 5 lakhs and purchases a used/preowned car rather go with new car by spending few extra thousand or lakh, as at least new car will give you 2-3 years of warranty and trouble free experience at least guts that my car is new.

If I had to buy a used car then I will consider only for below conditions:
1: If it is going to stay only for couple of years.
2: I am not confident to handle new car.
3: I cannot afford some brand or some particular models like Civic or Skoda Laura etc.
4: If this is going to be 2nd car and of minimal usage.
5: The price is less say around 2-3 lakhs for Petrol and 3-4 lakhs for Diesel.
6: The previous owner background.

I can consider a brand new Nano rather than 3-4 years old Santro/Alto and same way brand new Indica/Beat rather than 3-4 years old Swift VDI/ZDI.

Thanks,
Alok

Last edited:
Re: Are the used Diesel hatch worth to buy?

In my opinion, I will not buy an used diesel car in second hand car market.

1. It is priced way too much.
2. They are used exclusively, you won't find a sparingly used diesel in our market
3. Higher maintenance
4. Paying additional for additional pain in left leg.

I guess in near future in India for sure, whatever the economics or our GDP, subsidize will be removed from diesel.

I think it is not about Diesel Car but rather Swift Diesel car. Other Diesel car are sold as per the market rate but Swift diesel car sold at premium .
Reason I can say :
1.Herd Mentality.
2.People's craziness for Maruti Brand.Same diesel engine do not pull more value from the market. Take the case of Swift vs Punto or swift vs Vista etc [confused].
3. Waiting time for swift(D) is more(although insane waiting time).
4. People feels that, Swift(D) in market are very limited, grab it whatever come[surprise].

Thread Starter #4

I pity those customers who buy such expensive used car better to compromise on brand and look for alternative in new car even if you need to pay extra 50-75K.
This is my perception why to buy a used car at higher price.

Hi All,

Just out of curiosity when I browse classified for used diesel or even petrol car and always get surprised about the price quoted for e.g swift VDI 2009 model 65K mileage asking for 5 lakhs.

In my opinion whatever the condition why to spend 5 lakhs and purchases a used/preowned car rather go with new car by spending few extra thousand or lakh, as at least new car will give you 2-3 years of warranty and trouble free experience at least guts that my car is new.

If I had to buy a used car then I will consider only for below conditions:
1: If it is going to stay only for couple of years.
2: I am not confident to handle new car.
3: I cannot afford some brand or some particular models like Civic or Skoda Laura etc.
4: If this is going to be 2nd car and of minimal usage.
5: The price is less say around 2-3 lakhs for Petrol and 3-4 lakhs for Diesel.
6: The previous owner background.

I can consider a brand new Nano rather than 3-4 years old Santro/Alto and same way brand new Indica/Beat rather than 3-4 years old Swift VDI/ZDI.

Thanks,
Alok
the asking price is too high for swift VDI 2009 model 65K mileage asking for 5 lakhs.
but if the car is single used and with in 3 years with no major issues then its worth of coming close to 5 lakhs if it has alloy wheels ABS airbags

Used products are always about bargain, VFM and a sweet deal, (yes not only car, hold true for ay product)
Like any deal, there are some thing you gain with loosing some other, Used car let you own a car cheaply, but you loose in maintenance. let you own a 1/2 segment upper car than what you might afford now, but it loose in FE/Maintenance.
So for any used car deal. I always try to find out the sweet point for both the party. This inevitably leave all the diesel out. I'm not a believer of paying more in hope of driving it cheaper..
(ie I would rather buy a petrol version of the same car and use those 1/1.5L I save in fuel.. Heck 1.5L will let me drive for 25K easily.)

65K Km run Swift VDi 2009 is too much.We sold our Swift VDi 2010 version,80K run to an individual 4.5 months ago for 4.5L.Better,negotiate the price with seller.

Thread Starter #8
65K Km run Swift VDi 2009 is too much.We sold our Swift VDi 2010 version,80K run to an individual 4.5 months ago for 4.5L.Better,negotiate the price with seller.
Naa I am not inclined to buy any used one ,it was just my observation on used car segment.

I think pricey used diesels will disappear soon with the introduction of Amaze & Ecosport. Due to Amaze effect, we have already seen Swift/Dezire being available of the shelf or within 15 days. In addition we are seeing Swift ADs after a long time. Now with a fantastically priced Ecosport, the diesel segment of 6-9 lakhs is now abound with choices. So with new cars available with fantastic offers, used car prices are going to take a hit and come down to decent levels soon.

deville_56

Honoured Member
Most of them will end up in used car market after living up its good life and will be having some sort of niggling issues and most of them will be quoted more than 80% of the on-road price. Best example was an 85k km run i20 with asking price 5.75 L, which made us think then why not a brand new i20 and bought new one for 7.5L.

I think it is not about Diesel Car but rather Swift Diesel car. Other Diesel car are sold as per the market rate but Swift diesel car sold at premium .
Reason I can say :
1.Herd Mentality.
2.People's craziness for Maruti Brand.Same diesel engine do not pull more value from the market. Take the case of Swift vs Punto or swift vs Vista etc [confused].
3. Waiting time for swift(D) is more(although insane waiting time).
4. People feels that, Swift(D) in market are very limited, grab it whatever come[surprise].
Swift D is now available off shelf almost. This is for generic colours. Most of the sellers who bought is 2010-2012 with long waiting periods are in the illusion that it still commands a premium.

Since same engine does duty on Vista/Punto, there is nothing so special about DDIS engine.

Most of them will end up in used car market after living up its good life and will be having some sort of niggling issues and most of them will be quoted more than 80% of the on-road price. Best example was an 85k km run i20 with asking price 5.75 L, which made us think then why not a brand new i20 and bought new one for 7.5L.
IMO it is worthless buying a used diesel car as maintenance cost escalates after 50-60K km. More so if you are using the car occasionally. If you like to get the benefit of diesel, buy a new one and use typically for 3-4 years before change/upgrade.

But I have noticed used diesel car prices also are going down, from 2012 due to market slowdown and new model launches.

Thread Starter #12
This is my idea why spend hard earn money and invite the trouble. You do not know even the history of car, rather wait for few months if finance issue but buy a new one.

2nd hand meant for :
Santro, Alto,Honda City etc etc..

Swift is a great car and people should buy a new one only.

Top Bottom