ABS To Be Compulsory For All Commercial Vehicles in India

Thread Starter #1
Fab abs: Road Ministry wants ABS in all commercial vehicles from 2014 - Indian Express

In an attempt to make highways safer, the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has decided to make anti-lock braking system or ABS mandatory for all new commercial vehicles hitting the road from 2014.

"A notification will be issued by us in two months time and the norms will be made mandatory in a year from then. However, this rule will not apply for the vehicles already plying on the roads," said a senior road transport ministry official.
A great move, I must say. Will surely help in bringing down the number of accidents.
Let's just hope the quality of ABS on these vehicles does not fall to make more money.

Re: Anti Lock Braking System(ABS) to be compulsory for all commercial vehicles.

Yes, +1 to this move.
But here is India our commercial vehicle never cross the expiry date. They are always fit for eternity. So the old vehicle which are without ABS will keep plying on the road and there will be no drop of the accident. Thing will remain as it is.

Commercial Vehicles to get ABS as a standard option

In an attempt to make highways safer, the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has decided to make anti-lock braking system or ABS mandatory for all new commercial vehicles hitting the road from 2014.

"A notification will be issued by us in two months time and the norms will be made mandatory in a year from then. However, this rule will not apply for the vehicles already plying on the roads," said a senior road transport ministry official.

ABS will be crucial in bringing down accidents on the highway as it offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery road surfaces.

Vehicle manufacturers had been opposing the move to install ABS in commercial vehicles as its installation is a costly affair.

"Vehicle manufactures did not like the idea of installing ABS due to high cost. However, that was overruled when Auto Component Manufactures Association of India (ACMA) put the cost at Rs 15,000 and gave a guarantee on it," said the official.

"ACMA also said that the installation cost would further come down to Rs 10,000, once the volume increase," the official added.

Road accidents are one of the biggest reasons for deaths in India. In 2011, around 390 lives were lost daily due to accidents on Indian roads and highways.

About 17 lives were lost every hour in 2011 an increase from 15 in 2010. The ministry expects ABS to go a long way in saving lives on the highways.

"We have not yet made it mandatory for existing vehicles to get ABS installed but it will be looked in the future. Not only that we can also look into making ABS mandatory for passenger vehicles too," said the official.

- See more at: Fab abs: Road Ministry wants ABS in all commercial vehicles from 2014 - Indian Express

Hope this rule will be carried over to passenger vehicles as well

Yes, +1 to this move.
But here is India our commercial vehicle never cross the expiry date. They are always fit for eternity. So the old vehicle which are without ABS will keep plying on the road and there will be no drop of the accident. Thing will remain as it is.
Totally agree with you buddy. What you said is exactly what I thought while I was reading the first post. In my 8 years in India, the percentage of new trucks that I have seen come to around 10. 90pc of the trucks I have seen on the roads here are old/ancient.

Totally agree with you buddy. What you said is exactly what I thought while I was reading the first post. In my 8 years in India, the percentage of new trucks that I have seen come to around 10. 90pc of the trucks I have seen on the roads here are old/ancient.
Forget about truck, take the condition of the buses. The most of the buses here have died their natural death some decade ago, but they are running on road like a zombie. The bus and truck condition are terrible here [frustration].

A speed governor is compulsory on all heavy commercial vehicles which should be set to a maximum speed of 70kmph.
The governor is tampered as soon as the vehicle is registered.
A fire extinguisher is compulsory on every heavy commercial vehicles, Have any one seen that on any vehicle?
The RTO agents Charge a 1000 or more rupees from the owner for just displaying it at the cabin during the registration.
I think an ABS sticker may cost near to a 1000 Rs soon after this rule is implemented.

Thread Starter #9
^They tamper with speed governor because it restricts their speeds. How can/Why would they tamper something as complex as ABS, which doesn't even put effect on the way vehicle is driven?

The move to make compulsory ABS on commercial vehicles is a good one.
But ignoring the tampering of the speed governor and allowing the vehicles to fly is not a good one.
If they are implementing this new rule to reduce accidents on roads then the first thing to do is to be strict on the speed governor rule and restrict the vehicles speed to 70kmph.
If the vehicles are touching 120kmph now then with ABS the drivers will be more confident to drive on 140kmph and they will do so.
Other than implementing new rules i think the Govt have to be strict on the better existing rules.

Last edited:
A speed governor is compulsory on all heavy commercial vehicles which should be set to a maximum speed of 70kmph.
The governor is tampered as soon as the vehicle is registered.
A fire extinguisher is compulsory on every heavy commercial vehicles, Have any one seen that on any vehicle?
The RTO agents Charge a 1000 or more rupees from the owner for just displaying it at the cabin during the registration.
I think an ABS sticker may cost near to a 1000 Rs soon after this rule is implemented.
I gave my first post in this thread considering these facts only.

Hi friends. I feel that without ABS the accident counts were less when compared, because the ABS braking distance is too long. We wont be able to stop suddenly in city traffic. The normal brakes work well in this place. Only during rainy time ABS will be very useful.

Hi friends. I feel that without ABS the accident counts were less when compared, because the ABS braking distance is too long. We wont be able to stop suddenly in city traffic. The normal brakes work well in this place. Only during rainy time ABS will be very useful.
Hi mr.ads99,this video might solve your doubt about ABS.

Safe braking with ABS by Bosch - YouTube

Good judgement by the government,but should be made compulsory too all vehicles,passengers & commercial to,it comes handy in tricky and dangerous situations.

But government should come up with stricter policies like the recent "Window Film /dark tints removal" , i mean to say each car must be thoroughly checked for abs unit,and avoid tampering how film and tint removal was done to most of cars.

But government should come up with stricter policies like the recent "Window Film /dark tints removal" , i mean to say each car must be thoroughly checked for abs unit,and avoid tampering how film and tint removal was done to most of cars.
Sorry for Off Topic (if so)

Brother,
Don't we have any responsibility in obeying the law? Educated and well read people even in this forum are using cars with dark tinted glass (not talking about transparent sunfilms). So. It is me and you should obey the law than asking police to catch me for violating the law. I do not see a point in blaming everything on police. Very less no. of police men can not do much !

Last edited:

Top Bottom