5 Axle 3718il By Ashok Leyland

Thread Starter #1
Ashok Leyland, the Hinduja Group flagship, on 25th of Feb 2013 commercially launched the 5-axle 3718il, offering a payload of up to 25 tonnes that is the highest in rigid trucks thereby making it one of the most efficient vehicles in its category. Feature-rich, the 3718il, in a 10×2 configuration, promises superior performance, durability and best-in-class operational efficiency.

A remarkable feature of the 3718il is its five axles – two steerable front axles, two rear axles and a self-steerable pusher lift axle at the middle that gives the vehicle better balance and greater efficiency in carrying more loads. The lift axle automatically lifts when the vehicle is running in an unloaded condition which translates into additional fuel saving and enhanced tyre life. The 3718il is also equipped with a user-friendly in-line fuel injection pump for higher mileage and lower maintenance cost, a 9-speed gearbox and is powered by a proven, fuel-efficient 180 HP ‘H’ series engine.

Speaking about the launch, Mr. Vinod K Dasari, Managing Director, Ashok Leyland, said, “The 3718il has been carefully designed and engineered to meet a specific customer requirement for higher capacity rigid trucks that can carry more loads translating into better operational economics. With the rated payload regime gaining significant ground because of stricter implementation and the quantum of loads increasing, our 3718il is just the vehicle with enhanced load carrying capacity more economically to enhance our customers’ profitability. Our 3718il has been strategically positioned as a segment splitter: it will be attractive for the hitherto 31-Tonne truck customers owing to its fuel efficiency and extra load carrying capacity while the tractor trailer customers will find it attractive because of better maneuverability, lower operating and maintenance costs.”

The deep section frames of the 3718il ensures higher load carrying capacity while a long loading span of 29.5 feet enables it to take loads of any density or dimension. Further, the 10×2 configuration makes for superior maneuverability compared to articulated trucks in varied load and operating conditions. The 3718il is best-suited for applications like market load, cement, coal and steel.

Customer service is on offer through Ashok Leyland’s robust network of over 430 full service centers that are positioned at every 75 kms on all major highways across the country. A rich bouquet of services includes the unique TatkaAL promise, first launched by Ashok Leyland, that ensures service within 4 hours on any major highway and restoration of vehicle within 48 hours. In the instance of a delay, the Company promises to pay a penalty of Rs. 1,000 a day to the customer. Besides this, the Company offers Annual Maintenance Contracts, 3 years’ extended warranty and 2 years’ extended service packages on its range of MAVs.

3718-03.JPG

3718-02.JPG

3718-01.JPG

• A mega launch function of the 3718 (10x2) was organized at our Driver Training Institute in Namakkal on 25th Feb’13.
  • More than 250 customers including office bearers of the Lorry Owners Associations of Namakkal, Salem, Sankagiri & Tiruchengode participated.
  • Function was attended by Mr VS Ravichandran, GM – Long Haul Vertical, Mr P K Om Prakash, RM-S1, Mr.K Ramkumar, Area Manager & Mr S Govindarajan, AGM- Service.
  • Features and benefits of 3718 product were presented to the customers.
  • 27 nos of 3718 vehicles were delivered to the customers on the occasion

Source - Text only

Last edited:
Great news Sethu sir, I love AL very much for its FE looks and the way it goes in roads.
Now-a-days these trucks are essential to carry more loads which proves profitable for its owner.

So AL has opened a driver training institute at Namakkal?

Ashok Leyland, the Hinduja Group flagship, on 25th of Feb 2013 commercially launched the 5-axle 3718il, offering a payload of up to 25 tonnes that is the highest in rigid trucks thereby making it one of the most efficient vehicles in its category.
Sethu,

Are you sure it is only 25 tons?

see this.

The Tata LPT 3723 is the first 5-axle rigid truck in the country and will be the next big game changer in the Indian commercial vehicle industry. This truck can carry around 4.5 tonnes more than the existing 31 tonne MAV (Multi-axle vehicle) segment.

Thread Starter #5
Sethu,

Are you sure it is only 25 tons?

see this.

The Tata LPT 3723 is the first 5-axle rigid truck in the country and will be the next big game changer in the Indian commercial vehicle industry. This truck can carry around 4.5 tonnes more than the existing 31 tonne MAV (Multi-axle vehicle) segment.
Can I give you some info tomorrow?

Why doesn't AL improves the face of the truck ? It looks vintage by today's standard. [confused]
BTW, why is one axle in air ? Back up ?

"The lift axle automatically lifts when the vehicle is running in an unloaded condition which translates into additional fuel saving and enhanced tyre life. "

(From 1 st post)
Is it computerized ? I mean how does it sense whether this axle is required or not ? [confused]

Even I would like to know the answer to this question....
will wait for sethu sirs answer[:)]
Ya, me too. And if you see the 3rd pic from top, you will find this axle is touching the ground even when it is with no load, not even body on it. So, how is this possible then ? [confused] Maybe this is left to the driver, who knows ?

Thread Starter #12
Why doesn't AL improves the face of the truck ? It looks vintage by today's standard. [confused]
BTW, why is one axle in air ? Back up ?
"The lift axle automatically lifts when the vehicle is running in an unloaded condition which translates into additional fuel saving and enhanced tyre life. "

(From 1 st post)
Correct explanation by Jayesh for s_class's question.

Is it computerized ? I mean how does it sense whether this axle is required or not ?
Even I would like to know the answer to this question....
will wait for sethu sirs answer
Ya, me too. And if you see the 3rd pic from top, you will find this axle is touching the ground even when it is with no load, not even body on it. So, how is this possible then ? [confused] Maybe this is left to the driver, who knows ?
The query will be answered around lunch time today.

Can give you some info tomorrow
Correct explanation by Jayesh for s_class's question.

The query will be answered around lunch time today.
Sethu, eager to get more information from you.

I was mentioning about Tata truck
First 5 axle rigid truck in India, LPT 3723 and read that it is capable of carrying 37 tons.

You have posted Ashok Leyland 5 axle truck as 25 ton. Should not be the case. Could you please clarify.

In Tata LPT 3723, wheels with lift mechanism is in the last row as shown in the picture below.

tata-LPT-3723.jpg

In Tata LPT 3723, there is a sensor which automatically lifts these wheels when reverse gear is engaged. Lifted wheels are automatically lowered while engine is switched off to prevent theft of tyres during parking. It is easy to remove tyres when they are in a lifted position.

Thread Starter #14
Friends,

I could n't get much info. What ever I got I have shared here.

• The lift axle is connected with balloon to chassis. Earlier even i though there should be kind of hydrolic stuff to lift up and down the axle.
  • When the air is full it will down and support the load
  • Whenever there is no need for the axle [less/nil load normally] the air can be released so that the axle will be lifted.
  • Control for the lift axle is in the driver cluster.

Need to check the following

• is the above said process is automatic or manual
  • what would be the state of that axle when the engine is off [as autosafari mentioned it will easy to steel the tyres when it is off from the surface.

Regarding tonnage autosafari, I think there should be a mistake. I will get it cleared. As far as I know, AL vehicles are popular for its capacity. Generally in 20 ton vehicle people load more than 30 ton load. But I think that was not possible in TATA.

You can see the DOST, it has the same popularity in that segment. It can handle more loan than the specified.

The above views are purely mine.

OK Sethu we wait for more info from you.

Regarding tonnage autosafari, I think there should be a mistake. I will get it cleared. As far as I know, AL vehicles are popular for its capacity. Generally in 20 ton vehicle people load more than 30 ton load. But I think that was not possible in TATA.

The above views are purely mine.
Your view was true in the case of old 10 ton lorries when Tata was using under rated engines tuned to higher capacity.

With Cummins engines, the situation has changed.

Here in this case, Ashok Leyland 5 Axle 3718il is 180 HP
Tata LPT 3723 is 206 HP.

And loading 30 tons in a 20 ton vehicle is not possible.
Some extra loading is possible.

Overloading as a practice is now in a decline trend in long haul heavy trucks. It is mostly done by short route operators and medium and light load vehicles.

Top Bottom