Does Sales Figures of a Car Matter in Your Buying Decision?

Does Sales Figures of a Car Influence Your Buying Decision?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Many believe that sales figures of a particular car influences there buying decision. And it matters to them as it gives them confidence to book the car thinking if many are buying the car it must be good , or some feel a highest selling car has better resale value .

Some feel it doesn't matter to them at all as long as the car maker provides warranty and service of their car irrespective of how many units it sells . And since the car is not highest selling they in fact get better discount which is compensated for the relatively lesser resale value they might get later . They believe car must be judged by what it offers then the Sales figures .

Pour in your thoughts if it matters to you then why ? And if doesn't matter then why ?

IMP - Kindly keep the discussion healthy and friendly , while presenting and debating your views .

Re: Sales figures of a car do they really matter to you ?

Well, I have two opinions about this -

1) It matters to me since high sales figures gives me the confidence that the car will not be phased out soon and I wont be stuck up with my car in the A.S.S. since they dont stock spares for my car! Secondly, I dont have to worry about who will buy my car if I intend to sell it and the resale value would be promising. I sheepishly admit that also it gives me an ego boost that I dont drive around a flop car! [embarass]

2) Sales figures do not matter to me IF THAT PARTICULAR CAR IS THAT GOOD, which makes me buy it over the hot selling competition. For example, the Punto gave me a lot of reasons to choose it over the i20. But then the said car has to win my heart, as with the Punto. If the car is that good, then resale value and spare parts availability can be ignored!

So overall, my answer would be - it depends.

Re: Car Sales Figures – Do They Really Matter To You?

For me No. I will buy what I like For eg. Ford Fiesta, Punto, Linea. I would close my eyes and any of these (Ofcourse I own one of these).

For other's outside the forum yes. This gives them confidence as there is something good in vehicle. That's the reason people are buying it.

Point blank shoot at sight Ans - No
Ans with a cup of tea - Well, it depends on the situation. First start with some of the laws in the Land
1. It is required for an Auto manufacture to provide service/ spare for a car for atleast 6 years from the date of discontinuation of the product/Model,
That means I will pick a nice car with pathetic resale in used car market and enjoy it, if I know that I have enough time remaining in those 6 year timeframe.
So I won't be picking up a Getz/fusion even though they are very good car by any means, just because they are already passed almost 4 yr after discounted.
But I will pick a nice ford fiesta 1.6/1.6s because it is bearly I yr of discontinue from production.

Oh I would also somehow analysis the reason for failure, now broadly failure are those kind
1. stupid pricing (Honda Jazz) - buy used, you passed the buck to the unfortunate 1st owner
2. Not fuel efficient - I don't care if I have reason, (like 120bhp Ford 1.6 won't be as efficient as 75 bhp K series engine in desize) or the crab weight of a car is more, but I don't buy 2.4l NA CRV instead of 1.8TSI laura, simply because 2.4L CRV is neither fuel efficient not nor powerful
3. Spare costly - If there is a reason for it (Like duel O2 sensor in exhaust, this makes some car's catcon prohibitingly expensive), or manufacturer make steps to correct that (ford fiesta)

Last edited:

Not really,In my case i brought i10 compared to its rival WagonR which sells much more in numbers then this but then it depends on my needs,criteria,budget and what am i looking for in a car.

Obviously they do since a car that sells will have good resale and parts available. But if a car like Jazz which does not sell but still has good resale and parts available,then no it does not make a difference,

well, RAJA,

I dont care. BUT I cant say the same about the market. A look at the market will give you a perspective.
We Indians suffer from 'herd mentality'. How else will you explain the higher sales figure of Fortuner compared to much more capable Pajero sport? If you start the comparison with the blank mind, you will pick the Pajero.

One of my relative wanted to buy a Fortuner. I asked Why Fortuner? He replied: Status. I advised him to purchase the ARIA. Surprisingly he did. Now he is happy that he dint spend the money on a glorified Innova.

Hi buddy. Good topic chosen to talk. Now let me come to the answer for your question. According to my point of view first of all i will see the need, its usage , cost , resale value and parts availability . After all this only i will see the awards won by it.

Today my friend bought Maruti Alto 800.

He wanted Punto,like mine ,I warned him.

So he dropped from Punto,Figo through wagonR,Nano and zeroed to Maruti 800.

Nano was instantly rejected by his young daughter for the looks and drone sound inside.

I attested for his query "a car which wont let him down for long term use"-Simple,easy on pocket as well as on road. This car even after 5 years may fetch him more than 80 percent resale value.

Today my friend bought Maruti Alto 800.

He wanted Punto,like mine ,I warned him.

So he dropped from Punto,Figo through wagonR,Nano and zeroed to Maruti 800.

Nano was instantly rejected by his young daughter for the looks and drone sound inside.

I attested for his query "a car which wont let him down for long term use"-Simple,easy on pocket as well as on road. This car even after 5 years may fetch him more than 80 percent resale value.
Sorry for going OT but what was wrong with the Eon??

My friend wanted Ritz, but looking at my car he fell for Punto and going through my ownerhsip report he have booked PUNTO and now delivery is this or next week.

He have also become member here. NicePankaj.

Top Bottom