Ashok Leyland Luxura Magical India Bus

Thread Starter #1
The Ashok Leyland Luxura Magical India Bus is a concept that was pitched by the Toofles Foundation. The platform is provided by Ashok Leyland, the body & interiors are from DC Design while NGO ‘GOONJ’, Cancer Institute (Chennai) and Mann Travels have played a part in the realization of the concept.

The concept – It is a luxury bus, providing private jet like comfort. The best feature of this launch is that it’s running for a noble cause as 50% of earnings go to NGOs like GOONJ to help the people in need.

Platform and Drivetrain – Ashok Leyland provided its platform from the ‘Luxura’ line of buses. It is powered by a rear-mounted 225 bhp engine and is equipped with air suspension to increase the comfort of the passengers.

Design and Interiors – DC Design penned and executed the exterior and interior of the bus. The sharp and attractive body complements the personalized interiors. It can seat nine people in utmost comfort and has a built in spa area, toilet/bathroom, and a kitchen which is furnished with a microwave, a coffee maker and a refrigerator.

Quick facts about the Luxura Magical India Bus:

Mann travels has undertaken the responsibility for the booking and maintenance of the bus.

The service is available in Delhi right now and will be expanded to other cities soon.

Booking amount for this bus is Rs. 30,000 for 8 hours, which is the same as booking three Mercedes S Class cabs. Understandably the S Class cabs don’t offer the spa, washroom and the kitchen.

Guests can charter the bus for a day or for an overnight trip to Agra, Jaipur, Neemrana or any other travel destinations in and around Delhi.

Source & for more detailed pics: Launched - Ashok Leyland Luxura Magical India Bus

Attachments

Some info from my side

Luxura_01.jpg

New Delhi, February 19, 2013: Ashok Leyland, the Hinduja Group flagship and India’s second largest commercial vehicle manufacturer, launched the ‘Luxura Magical India Bus’, with Toofles Foundation, in support of ‘Charter for Charity’, a new concept in India. The bus that has been re-modelled into a super luxury liner by the world renowned auto designer Dilip Chhabria will be operated by Mann Travels with The Park also on board as Hospitality partners. Another unique aspect of this venture is that 50% of the proceeds from the operations of the bus will go to the charity partners to the venture - ‘Goonj’, an NGO and the Cancer Institute (WIA).

Luxura_02.jpg

The ‘Luxura Magical India Bus’ was launched at The Park today in the presence of Mr. Vinod K. Dasari, Managing Director, Ashok Leyland, Mr. Dilip Chabbria, DC Designs, Ms. Parmjeet Mann of Mann Travels, Ms. Priya Paul of the Park Hotels and Ms. Madhabi Buch, Founder & Advisory Committee Member, Toofles Foundation.

Luxura_03.jpg
Luxura_04.jpg

Speaking at the launch function, Mr. Vinod K Dasari, Managing Director, Ashok Leyland said, ”It is wonderful that the time has come for this great concept and it is equally satisfying that we have been part instrumental in translating this concept into reality. The Magical India Bus is a triumph of collaboration – so many entities from diverse businesses coming together, bound by a cause. For Ashok Leyland, it presents an opportunity to celebrate our sense of giving and since it is around our vehicle, so much the better.”

Luxura_05.jpg
Luxura_06.jpg
The Bus: The ‘Magical India Bus’ has been specially designed with just nine luxurious reclining seats. The super luxury liner is equipped with a spa - with two therapists on-board, a kitchen, a wash room and all the other trappings like passenger entertainment, information systems and individual controls. The bus is also Wi-Fi enabled.

Luxura_07.jpg
Luxura_08.jpg

Making a difference: Guests can charter the bus for a day or for an overnight trip to Agra, Jaipur, Neemrana or to any of the numerous travel destinations in and around Delhi. Families, Corporates and Tour Groups who charter this special service will enjoy a unique experience of luxury travel, door to door. And at the same time know that they are making a difference by contributing to the amazing work being done by Goonj and the Cancer Institute.

Luxura_09.jpg
Luxura_10.jpg

Madhabi Puri Buch, Founder of Toofles Foundation, that has put this project together, said "It is just a small way for us to invite everyone to enjoy a luxury service and experience the joy of giving… all the same time… that, is the Magic of India!"

Last edited:
Great news! AL has revived the Luxura range again (It was the most luxurious bus in KSRTC in 90's) its powerful, Rear engine and a perfect highway cruiser, think we have some inter-city buses too.

The design has been carved well unlike copying the cues from Volvo where many bus builders do these days.

I don't know to how much extent this business would run, but why do you need a spa for touring around Delhi?

Luxura is already in the market which is used for inter-city operations. But haven't seen those when travelling in highways.
I meant by in full swing.

If am right already there are 6 Luxura on roads.

• 2 in north india
  • 1 in Karnataka
  • 1 in kerala
  • 1 with KPN
  • 1 with Parveen

This black one is 7th

There are 2 in pilot production.

When will we see regular commercial Luxura buses competing against the likes of Volvos ?

When will we see regular commercial Luxura buses competing against the likes of Volvos ?
To tell you, luxura is not the real competitor for Volvos, but if comfort is compromised here, then there is a good competition, also a normal B7R has longer chassis of 12 meters which means 45 seater and i think Luxura will be a ~35 seater, not to mention the added advantage is the GC levels, volvo lets down hands in ghats.

To tell you, luxura is not the real competitor for Volvos, but if comfort is compromised here, then there is a good competition, also a normal B7R has longer chassis of 12 meters which means 45 seater and i think Luxura will be a ~35 seater, not to mention the added advantage is the GC levels, volvo lets down hands in ghats.
Vishwas, are you sure about normal volvo having 45 seater?. I thought the volov with multi axle has 45 seater.

Just for info.

Thread Starter #11
I meant by in full swing.

• 2 in north india
  • 1 in Karnataka
  • 1 in kerala
  • 1 with KPN
  • 1 with Parveen

This black one is 7th

The luxuria mentioned here is based on a Volvo chassis and the one in this thread is based on AL chassis

I have read this news yesterday on a online forum. That looks to be a good luxury offered.

I wonder where these buses are being used by those travel people as listed by Sethu

Oh, didn't knew Volvos are bad in ghats. [surprise]
AL & Tata should launch rear engine 180+ bhp inter city buses for price between 50-55L. They will get good market.

BTW, AL also has 12m bus chassis.

• 2 in north india
  • 1 in Karnataka
  • 1 in kerala
  • 1 with KPN
  • 1 with Parveen

This black one is 7th

May I know the source of your information? There are 2 buses doing Chennai-Bangalore service and another 2 doing Bangalore-Mumbai, with Sharma transports. There were a few more on order, according to a friend who's in the business. There are one or two 12M RE based buses in Kerala, that run as special services on weekends. The bodies look exactly the same as 2-axle Volvo's

Parveen had launched a RE bus named Konferenz. I'm not very sure if it's an AL or a Sutlej Lexia. KPN, AFAIK, has only front-engined buses from AL. They were the first in TN to get AL buses with Auto Transmission.

The Luxura that you see today is based on the AL 12M RE chassis. This is 12M long, and has the 230hp engine at the rear, just like a B7R. It's not a direct competition to the B7R, but instead, to the Isuzu and Tata Divo.

The luxuria mentioned here is based on a Volvo chassis and the one in this thread is based on AL chassis
What you are referring to is the Olivea, which WAS named Luxuria. The BlueHill group that operates the Olivea buses was sued by AL for using the Luxuria moniker, which closely resembles Luxura, which is a fully built bus from AL.

Top Bottom