Chevrolet Sail vs Ford Figo!

Thread Starter #1
Sail:
Positives:
1. Space, space and space: Can be easily compared with the Jazz in terms of rear seat space. Indica was bench mark but not anymore. With seat adjusted for 5.10 in the front, person with 6 feet height had good 4 inches space between seat and his knee.
2. Practicality: Rear seat is 40:60 split adding to practicality and flexibility to boot space
3. Breaks: Good bite.
4. Rear seat bench is good for three people, under thigh support is adequate.
5. Airy interiors (front quarter glass allows more light to cabin
6. Plastics of dash is nice to touch, steering feel great to hold
7. Linear power delivery adds to drivability in urban space
8. Good insulation inside cabin but at idle one can hear typical diesel clutter.
9. Suspension is good, will absorb most of undulations on roads at lower speed.
10. Toll third gear add to in city drivability
11. GC seems good but didn’t tested on badly designed speed breakers (car breakers)
Negatives:
1. Blind spot upfront (6-8 feet driver can’t see anything on road) but slightly high mounting of front bumper will help in parking on edge of pavement.
2. Rear visibility is a bit problem with head rests.
3. Very soft steering, doesn’t weight up with speed. I didn’t feel confident beyond 90 due to lifeless steering but breaks added a bit of confidence.
4. Body roll is noticeable
5. Design is nothing to mention about. It’s pretty dated like Figo.
6. Steering started vibrating when pulled from 20 in 3rd gear. It was like massager.
7. Driver seat is not height adjustable hence will be a bit of problem for shorted drivers

FIGO:
Positives:
1. Linear power delivery: Amazing city drivability
2. Suspension set up is perfect but a bit bouncy at lower speed
3. Handling, handling and handling: Figo is amazing handler.
4. Steering: Figo’s steering demands a special mention here though a tad bigger than ideal size but its confidence inspiring even at 140+
5. Huge boot space, decent read bench space but nowhere comparable with Sail. Rear seat is foldable but no split hence practicality is reduced.
6. Tall third gear adds to urban drivability
7. Best in class AC. Very powerful.
8. ICE is good with blue tooth connectivity, Aux in and CD but no USB (for USB one need to buy Rs 1100-1200 connector from dealer)
9. Very good visibility
Negaitves
1. Ground clearance: This problem is more with hard plastic long mud flaps. Most of the Figo has broker mud flaps but yes I would like to have more GC in FIGO and facelift is no different.
2. No all four power windows as many people have complained about it. How many times we drive with full load, mostly we drive 1-2 people on board.
3. Some niggles: noise from rear left end, suspension noise at cold start
4. Noise engine but inside no noise as such due to good insulation
5. Breaks feel adequate but not very good. Need more bite.

Handling: Figo>Sail
Steering: Figo> Sail
Space: Sail> Figo
Driving comfort: Figo >Sail
Practicality of layout and space: Sail> Figo
FE: Sail>Figo (Multi jet engines from Fiat are slightly more efficient than Sigma series engines from Ford)
Design: Both are dated and nothing exciting about it, one can pick either of these depending on personal choice in terms of colour, colour of interiors and design.
Price: Figo.Sail (OTR price of Figo is almost cheaper by 70000-80000 depending on tax system of the different states. Figo is value for money.

Verdict: For city drive both the cars are good, those who are looking at soft steering, Sail all the way. Those who want to be driven around should opt for sail due to space available at rear and rear power window add comfort to “Sahib”. Lady drivers definitely would like to go for Sail. However those who are self driven, drives on highways should opt for Figo due to its handling, steering feedback and high speed stability. Personally I like black interiors over the light colour beige interiors. I don’t let anyone clean interiors of the car and hence would go for Figo. Majority in India equate lighter interiors to luxury or better quality hence sail will get more queries. One can virtually chuck in/out Figo in traffic or can throw her around the corners and car will behave predictably. This possibility is ruled out in Sail. Sail is for sedate drivers. Enthusiast should look other way round. Long term reliability of Figo is beyond doubt, its robust car, with Ford’s at par service experience. In terms of engine reliability no will doubt the Fiat’s MJD but other mechanicals need to be tested with time. Icing on cake, Chevy is offering 5 year warranty. No car is perfect, both have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Both Ford and Chevy have almost similar number of outlets hence service network is similar.

Discloser: I own Figo and have driven more than 20K. Whereas my initially impression of sails are based on short ride of half an hour.

Thread Starter #3
Light colour interiors necessarily doesn't means that its better in quality. Interior quality is subjective. Sail has some engine which does duty in Swift, Punto, Vista hence its good a a tad bit faster than sigma.

One more good quality:Gear throw is very short and shift is very predictable. Only problem is reverse is on left to 1st gear and one might end up is slotting in reverse initially but once hand is set, it won't a issue at all.

In terms of rear bench space, Vista has competitor in the name of Sail. Rear seat of Figo is better than Polo, Swift and comparable to Punto. Front end looks good. Sail has got typical chevy front with big grill with huge logo.

@Brandoo

Good comparison buddy !!

Have you found noticeable body roll in Sail ?? as I have driven it only once for a short city distance and I found it good.

Yes Figo is really a VFM, but the biggest problem I found with its soft suspension which painful at speed breakers always when car is loaded with 2 people

Thread Starter #7
^^ I dont prefer light or beige interiors,just the sails int design is new.
Sail has better design but not exciting enough. Front end is good looking but seems designer stopped thinking beyond B pillar. Interior design is good personally I don't like beige, lighter plastics and Dash board is high mounted.

Sail has better design but not exciting enough. Front end is good looking but seems designer stopped thinking beyond B pillar. Interior design is good personally I don't like beige, lighter plastics and Dash board is high mounted.
Sail looks fresh to me and also well designed rear too !! not like vista rear.

Also Sail comes with 5 year warranty man !! surely it is a advantage over Figo as I know the service bills of Ford(my friend owns Figo).

So with the more space in Sail, my vote is for Sail [:)], yes only thing I felt was it looks to be little over priced, but its ok in that segment you have cars like Swift which are more costly[:)]

Thread Starter #9
Sail looks fresh to me and also well designed rear too !! not like vista rear.

Also Sail comes with 5 year warranty man !! surely it is a advantage over Figo as I know the service bills of Ford(my friend owns Figo).

So with the more space in Sail, my vote is for Sail [:)], yes only thing I felt was it looks to be little over priced, but its ok in that segment you have cars like Swift which are more costly[:)]
Sail comes with 1.5L kms or 5 year warranty of engine and transmission. This is big plus.
Sail look fresh, big inside but price is a put off to many. Showroom difference of 60K. Add another 15-20K due to taxes, insurance etc. There are certain goodies missing even on top variant such flap type door handles, remote boot opener. Figo has dash mounted boot opener and remote as well.
I must admit that Sail is worthy competitor to Indica in terms of space and price, cheaper than Swift but offer way more space and practicality than Swift.
Bottom line: Figo is most VFM at the moment with decent space. I reiterate, those who want to be driven around Sail all the way.

Thread Starter #10
Ford service is not very high.
20 K service cost is 4500-5000 with wheel alignment, balancing, oil and filter change, break oil change, and other stuff at regular service (fully paid service).
One can compare service cost of Swift or any other hatch.
Oil used is semi-synthetic.

I test drove both of them. Sail Uva certainly is spacious and I m impressed with the engines too both petrol and diesel as compared to Figo.

Inspite of the plus points whay don't we see many new Sails on road??

Last edited by a moderator:
SailD with Fiat/Chevy engine is a plus point.
Sail with 1.5L kilometer engine warranty sates the capability of the engine and chevy's reliability on the engine
The service package for 45000km / 3years is another attraction from Chevy.

Ford FigoD is worth on its pricing.

I think SailD to SwiftD is a better comparison.
Almost same on pricing,space,engine etc.

SailD with Fiat/Chevy engine is a plus point.
Sail with 1.5L kilometer engine warranty sates the capability of the engine and chevy's reliability on the engine
The service package for 45000km / 3years is another attraction from Chevy.

Ford FigoD is worth on its pricing.

I think SailD to SwiftD is a better comparison.
Almost same on pricing,space,engine etc.
Space in sail is way much more then swift .

Top Bottom