Tata Storme vs Mahindra XUV5OO - Which One To Choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

I felt to post this new thread after driving my friends XUV 500 for 200 km yesterday in all type of roads, also drove Storm twice in different roads.

My request to you is please do not think this as a official comparison of TAI, it is just my effort to present what is what in real world and of course it is subjective too, so if any prospective buyer for storm or XUV can take the details from this thread which may be useful.

In this comparison, I am not willing to compare their specifications or some numbers on paper, which are already available on the web in so many places and I do not want to duplicate the same here, I am just going to present a view of a first time some body drive both the vehicles and what kind of things he notice, that's it.

I have already posted my test ride review of XUV on some other thread and the views expressed here may change, because my earlier test ride was a very short one !!

Storm : LX 4x2
XUV 500 : W8

Exterior Looks:

STORM : Excellent to me from all the angles, some many not like its rear as a wheel is missing when they compare it with old safari
XUV : Excellent from front , superb work by M&M design guys here, Also ok from side angle and disappointed from rear view

Interiors :

STORM : I cannot say excellent, but for me they look rich, but most of the people may not like its dash without anything special there. seat quality , size, and others are good and well placed, but steering could have been little up side as I felt bad on this, but while driving it is not a major concern

XUV : I could say better than Storm in their color and fit and finish wise and dash is filled with so many things and I think this is only the plus point for XUV
front seats are bit comfortable and 2nd is just ok without thigh support and 3rd is really cramped.

Ride quality :

STORM : Excellent, in 2nd row it is just like heaven, we cannot sit on jump seats bit comfortably so it is just for kids. The suspension take lot of abuse on the road and will never transfer to you. Really impressed with its ride quality.

XUV : Always bumpy except for driver seat, it transfer all the bumps of road and surprise is on a good NH also it is the same feeling, hence very bad ride quality. front seats are bit spacious and have some support to thighs but 2nd row though the legroom is ok, but the seats are on bit higher position than front row and there is no thigh support and always bumpy. completely dissatisfied.

Gears,brakes,NVH :

Storm : gears are ok, but has some long travel, brakes are just excellent and very confident to stop, NVH is really impressive and less

XUV : gears are good as they are bit short, but the position is not comfortable as one has to twist their arm, the knob could have been placed little near to the dash board. brakes are really scary and no confidence at all, NVH levels are high and lot of tyre noise present.

Brake test at 100kmph speed :

Storm : excellent as they stop quickly and no scary feeling
XUV : there is lot of scary feeling before the vehicle stops and if you sit in 2nd row then you just feel like falling on driver suddenly

Lane change at 120kmph speed:

Storm : very easy without any issues and no scary feeling
XUV : not easy and feel like loosing control of the beast

Boot space:

STORM : good amount of boot space left either we fold the jump seats or we doesn't
XUV : if 3rd is not folded then, no space at all, one has to fold the 3rd row to create the boot space. The 3rd is not suitable for adults of some 5'10", it is just like sitting in a share Auto.

Speed and Pick up

Storm : Speed is good, but not so fast like XUV till it reaches some RPMs
XUV : very quick pick and good speeds is a plus point for it

Visibility of road:

Storm : excellent visibility in the front and sides, rear visibility is bit less
XUV : difficult to watch the bonnet, something like my Ritz and sides and rear visibility is poor and for reverse we need a good cam

VERDICT :

Except speed and pick up and some dash board features, XUV never looked me like a 16+ lakhs car and disappointing in all other aspects

On other hand, except bit slow pick up and plain dash board, Storm has everything in it and really justifies the money spent and Road presence is excellent than XUV 500.[:)]

First I thought of adding Scorpio in this comparison , but to be very frank I am not at all convinced to place scorpio in this comparison as it never suits to this category of vehicles at all and its dated,short,cramped, nothing much to talk about it in these days till a upgrade comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Storm Vs XUV 500 - which one to choose

Lane change at 120kmph speed:

Storm : very easy without any issues and no scary feeling
XUV : not easy and feel like loosing control of the beast
For Storme I can easily say this is true.
I have not driven XUV5OO, so would not comment on the same. But for Monocoque vehicle lane changing should not be an issue (just my assumption). Need to drive to check whether it is really scary or not.

Great effort Mr. RK. [clap] This will really help other buyers to nail down their purchase.

And please a request to all, lets keep this thread clean and professional. [;)]

Thread Starter #3

For Storme I can easily say this is true.
I have not driven XUV5OO, so would not comment on the same. But for Monocoque vehicle lane changing should not be an issue (just my assumption). Need to drive to check whether it is really scary or not.

Great effort Mr. RK. This will really help other buyers to nail down their purchase.

And please a request to all, lets keep this thread clean and professional.
+100 buddy, yes you need to drive XUV and see what wrote about the lane changing, at least it is scary to me[:)]. I request you to read my post once again, as there are some additions to it.

Yes I request all the members to keep this thread for some professional discussions, constructive discussion with real time experience, no assumptions, if you haven't driven both of them, no problem post your questions where I will answer to them with best of my knowledge[:)]

Good comparo.Only surprising part was lane changing at 120kmph feeling more confidence inspiring in Storme!! If true then Tata engineers have done a remarkable job not only on braking and ride quality but also on the handling front.I personally feel that @9.95 lakh ex-showreoom Delhi,Storme is the most VFM 2wd drive SUV in its category including XUV W6,Scorpio sle,Force one and others.

Yes, indeed after the official review(no offence for IR in doing an unbiased review) there are quite a few bad impressions about the Storme roaming in the forum..
So sad to see that..[cry]

I want to say that STORME is a class of its own..

Last edited by a moderator:

Note: This is a humble request to all of you to kindly post their own views in this thread and not indulge in any kind of personal attacks. This is a public forum and each one has the right to put forward his/her own take.

Help us maintain the peaceful environment of the forum. Thanks for co-operation.

Agree with Akash fully, we intend and aspire to keep this a friendly forum, as far as discussions go we will all have different views some factually right some incorrect as well(we are human after all !) , but beyond this we wont able to tolerate forum rule infringes and there will be action taken irrespective, we dont like it but we are not given a choice to be honest.
If you like to disagree, disagree on the facts/vehicles and not assault the person posting it, unfortunately there has been a lot of it in many Storme related threads - kindly a take a note of it !

Edit: And most importantly please be polite, thanks!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

@jagrover, your concern is well understood buddy !! neither IRs report nor my report or somebody else will be a bench mark fully to say some vehicle is good or bad, but it is just an effort or attempt report one's own observations and those can be read with a open mind and take good as good, bad as bad, that's as opinions differ and perceptions defer.

@Akash & IR, +100 to your views and it also a request from my side to all the members here, please use the reports to evaluate a vehicle as its pros and cons as simple as that and if in doubt please ask. I wish we are here to discuss something on automobiles and get benefited with our discussions finally or guide some body properly who is going to spend his money on a vehicle, so there is no space for any kind of personal attacks and just understand these are vehicles we drive them every day and they become old and new will keep coming[:)]

Let us also have some more detailed comparo between XUV and Storme for all to have a better evaluation on, which suits best for different requirements /tastes of various readers here.

1.Tata Safari Storme VS Mahindra XUV 500 – Could it stop XUVs dream run? (Expert Review)"]

source:Tata Safari Storme VS Mahindra XUV 500

Verdict :-

It’s Mahindra XUV500 which emerges out to be a clear winner as Tata Safari Storme is beaten on almost all fronts. Pricing could have played its role but Tata have tagged it a bit above expectation and this passes the advantage of Storme onto Mahindra XUV 500.
2.Tata Safari Storme vs Mahindra XUV 500 - fight between two Indian Hunks.

source:Tata Safari Storme vs Mahindra XUV 500 - fight between two Indian Hunks. | Simplifying the business and tech knowledge

VERDICT

Are you still waiting for the verdict ? Well its almost clear that Mahindra XUV 500 is without a second thought a better buy than Tata Safari Storme. Although XUV 500 is much expensive than Safari Storme but makes it with its awesome looks and features. There is only one drawback of XUV 500 that is the long waiting period on delivery of XUV 500. In end we can only say that MAHINDRA XUV 500 is a irresistible package GO & BUY IT.

3.Tata Safari Storme Vs Mahindra XUV500 – Which Is A Better SUV?

source:Tata Safari Storme Vs Mahindra XUV500- Detailed Comparison

Verdict

The Safari Storme is available at a relatively less price and has a good set of features. The XUV is a bit pricier but at the same time comes with a handful of exclusive features for the passenger cabin. Performance wise both the cars will be at par but I really feel the on-the-fly switchable all wheel drive system present in the Storme will be the highlight as it will let you switch to two wheel drive on the go and thus save fuel. So both have their strong and weak points.

Last edited:

I will post my impressions on the parameters the OP has posted . Since I have driven both the vehicles on bad and extremely good roads ( worli sea face , marine drive , palm beach road , Chembur vashi highway )

Looks - purely subjective , still if one has a liking for classic looking cars , then one * might * like storme , if one wants some sporty and jaazy style *might*like the xuv .

Paint quality - xuv has a fantastic paint quality , but the paint on storme has some glitter added to it which really makes it stand out and colours like urban bronze , red and black make the storme extremely eye catchy because of the glitter.

Ride quality - there is no 2 questions that storme has a superb ride quality bad or good roads its simply superb . In new Mumbai there are 2 showrooms g3 motors and fortune motors the former for mahindra and later for tata and only a wall is in between them both are on the service road and have terrible bad roads a quick drive there can make any 1 understand that low speed drive and ride quality go bad the xuv suffers and the storme scores .

Brakes - I have not slammed the brakes of xuv to check how they perform so I will refrain from commenting , but storme I have practically stopped from 100 kmph on request of the SA and the brakes performed superb , there is no doubt storme has superb braking .

Nvh levels and refinement - mahindra are known to make great free revving engines and that has been allways there USP , but here IMHO I found the overall refinement of the varicor engine also equally good or I might say better .and nvh levels are also much much better in storme then xuv .

Handling - I have done lane cuttings on both storme and xuv at speeds of 100-120 and found both stable and composed .

Inside cabin - storme has very airy cabin and things look well put together and again has a classic look but the dashboard looks half naked , I have posted my reservations about it manytimes so won't get again on it . Xuv cabin looks sexy , well desgined with so many things to operate but I personally dint like the shinny cheap looking faux wood plastic . But the over all water fall like theme is wells thought . Again the beige combo looks nice the darker theme gives a claustrophobic feel IMO .

Features - there is no contest here xuv wins hands down and worth mentioning is the esp , and 6 airbags in w8 top model .

Perfomance - low rev response is less in storme if you compare it with xuv , I have driven the xuv upto 100 - 120 and its a kids play for it . Storme I have done 140 and it reaches there without breaking a sweat giving a feel there is still a lot of juice left . Both the cars I felt are stable and well planted on the road . I have not taken corners on high speed on both the vehicles so won't comment on that , but logic says xuv must be better since its a monocoque and low slung compared to BOF storme .

Overall - if any one is not gizmo lover and likes classic look with superb space and comfort with a blissfull ride quality storme can be a great option with a added advantage of 4x4 .
But if you are the one who needs max amount of gizmos , some sporty styling , great free revving engine xuv can be a choice by default . Both cars are extremely capable in their own ways and have short commings too .

Edit - I have not compared in gear acceleration and things like which car reaches 180 fast as these things matter less to me and in real world use matter less atleast for me . People are free to debate on that . Worth mentioning is that clutch of storme is very light compared to xuv and can help driving in b to b traffic . And unlike the earlier safari the storme is easy to drive and turning radius is amazing .

Last edited:

Let us also have some more detailed comparo between XUV and Storme for all to have a better evaluation on, which suits best for different requirements /tastes of various readers here.

1.Tata Safari Storme VS Mahindra XUV 500 – Could it stop XUVs dream run? (Expert Review)"]

source:Tata Safari Storme VS Mahindra XUV 500

2.Tata Safari Storme vs Mahindra XUV 500 - fight between two Indian Hunks.

source:Tata Safari Storme vs Mahindra XUV 500 - fight between two Indian Hunks. | Simplifying the business and tech knowledge

3.Tata Safari Storme Vs Mahindra XUV500 – Which Is A Better SUV?

source:Tata Safari Storme Vs Mahindra XUV500- Detailed Comparison

In first review no mention about ride quality.
In second review also no mention about ride quality.
In third it is mentioned and that's the reason there was no definite winner there.

Ride Quality is the major USP of the Storme, and without mentioning the same, how can one give the verdict. I have not driven XUV5OO, so cannot give say anything about who is winner in ride quality. But I have driven Storme and I personally liked it very much. SO I think it is the time that I need to test drive XUV5OO. [clap]

When it comes to VFM, XUV W8 is far better than Storme VX,and XUV W6 is slightly better than Storme EX,even though both W8 &W6 variant of XUV are more costly vis-a-vis Storme EX and VX.However,there is no beating Storme LX when it comes to VFM:@9.95 lakhs it has got ABS,4 Discs,bluetooth and all,which annihilates the competition's VFM claims with aplomb:P

I don't know is it off topic or not. If yes ignore it..

Every auto sites will say that XUV 5oo is a better buy as Storme lacks some features and low end response not as good as the Mahindra. If it was a Toyota with same features as Storme they will whole heartedly say Storme is the best buy..(every site told that Etios was the best buy in that segment. What happened then is well known..)[frustration]

As it is a TATA everybody will ignore it.

It seems like M&M have their astrological stars at the right positions as of now that whatever they introduce it will become hit(quanto & Rexton & partially for XUV 5oo) whereas opposite in case of TML that whatever good they introduce it is given the least interest..

If you feel this as an over sentiment towards TATA pardon me..

I don't know is it off topic or not. If yes ignore it..

As it is a TATA everybody will ignore it.

It seems like M&M have their astrological stars at the right positions as of now that whatever they introduce it will become hit(quanto & Rexton & partially for XUV 5oo) whereas opposite in case of TML that whatever good they introduce it is given the least interest..

If you feel this as an over sentiment towards TATA pardon me..

I agree with your points and the owners of tata's knows the capability of their vehicles, but you are missing two big points here: A.S.S,poor marketing strategy.

Every auto sites will say that XUV 5oo is a better buy as Storme lacks some features and low end response not as good as the Mahindra.
First impression is the best impression, for example see how the Storme was launched.

If it was a Toyota with same features as Storme they will whole heartedly say Storme is the best buy..(every site told that Etios was the best buy in that segment. What happened then is well known..)[frustration]
Brand image is the spoil sport here.

Storme hasn't come to Bangalore yet (maybe it would in Feb)
LX on road costs 11.60 and the top-end goes upto 17.50 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom