So, on this Saturday, I received a call from a lady saying that a new car launch is being organized in Delhi and I am invited to attend the campaign. I thought, what? Why me? The lady on phone says that its a new car launch survey, and they are looking for respondents who are interested in cars and keep knowledge about the industry. I get too thrilled to be called almost an enthusiasts and I make myself ready to proceed for the campaign with anxiety.
At the end of the program, it turns out to be a long exhaustive survey on new car launch which takes me at least hour and a half. The car is a new Hyundai hatch- a Hyundai i30 or may be some other name. I am calling it Hyundai x here. The survey:
After some form fill up and preliminary survey, and yes hijacking my mobile phone, I was taken to a secret hall which had four cars parked side by side, all gleaming bright in silver color: A VW polo, Hyundai x, Honda Jazz, and Maruti Swift, all badges covered and all windows tinted jet black to avoid peeping into interiors. The surveyor accompanying me asked me to compare and rate the cars on numerous parameters covering almost all aspects of a car (apart form technical specs).
Presenting summary of my observations on exteriors of Hyundai x: Front:
- Headlamps and fog lamps design exactly same as the new i20 fluidic with smoked lamps, DRLs.
- The front grill is similar to the new i20 but a little less curved
- The front air grill expands even more in height as compared to new i20. But, it doesn't look bad at all. Chrome would do even better on it. Side profile:
- The bonnet appearance is same
- The C pillar is different, it has been covered by a black plastic or vinyl type of sheet that extends to the rear wind shield. Looks great and premium
- The wheel housing design, body lines appear very much similar to current i20
- Appears to be longer than current i20
- The ground clearance appears to be low as compared to other cars, even Honda Jazz.
Overall, the side profile looks beautiful, premium and in sync with front design Rear- this is new absolutely
- The tail lights are completely new compared to i20 or any hatch that is being sold. Somewhat similar to picture below, only little narrowly stretched from inner side and a little longer vertically on outer sides. The pic below is of i30 premium variant being sold elsewhere in world:
- The rear windshield looks small and the overall appearance of rear doesn't look in sync with rest of car design. Too much of work done on tail lights which may seem to be loud to some people.
- The boot opening mechanism could be either through logo or conventional. I told the surveyor that I would prefer logo to open the boot!
As far as exteriors are concerned its absolutely beautiful, barring the rear which appears to be overdone, but should not be a deal breaker for majority of public.
Then I was taken to another secret closed hall showing a slide show of interiors, and again a series of questionnaire followed. So, a summary of interiors:
- The upper dashboard portion is light blue! It doesn't look beautiful and spoils the theme of car. I guess there will be options for this color otherwise it may act as a major deterrent in enjoying overall interior experience.
- Auto Climate Control is very much present
- The stereo design is new, its not curvy like the current i20 or verna, but rectangularish like seen on polo or vento.
- The steering is very much same with controls Tentative details, as I remember:
1.2 Litre, 85 bhp, four cylinder, 14 inch wheels, price starting form 5.38 lacs.
It should be noted that the actual specifications and price can be entirely different because it was used only for survey (as a comparison) purpose.
To offer the grand summary- everything looks similar to current fluidic i20 in terms of features, exteriors (barring the rear), interiors with little changes. Overall, it needs to be seen how different and better this new hatch would be as compared to the existing i20- may be more legroom, boot space, new features, even better engine options etc.
I would be happy to answer any inquisitiveness of fellow members as best I can! And anybody been a part of this survey or knows more info regarding new launch, please share.