New Hatchback From Hyundai Coming Up: i30?

Thread Starter #1
So, on this Saturday, I received a call from a lady saying that a new car launch is being organized in Delhi and I am invited to attend the campaign. I thought, what? Why me? The lady on phone says that its a new car launch survey, and they are looking for respondents who are interested in cars and keep knowledge about the industry. I get too thrilled to be called almost an enthusiasts and I make myself ready to proceed for the campaign with anxiety.
At the end of the program, it turns out to be a long exhaustive survey on new car launch which takes me at least hour and a half. The car is a new Hyundai hatch- a Hyundai i30 or may be some other name. I am calling it Hyundai x here.

The survey:
After some form fill up and preliminary survey, and yes hijacking my mobile phone, I was taken to a secret hall which had four cars parked side by side, all gleaming bright in silver color: A VW polo, Hyundai x, Honda Jazz, and Maruti Swift, all badges covered and all windows tinted jet black to avoid peeping into interiors. The surveyor accompanying me asked me to compare and rate the cars on numerous parameters covering almost all aspects of a car (apart form technical specs).

Presenting summary of my observations on exteriors of Hyundai x:

Front:
- Headlamps and fog lamps design exactly same as the new i20 fluidic with smoked lamps, DRLs.
- The front grill is similar to the new i20 but a little less curved
- The front air grill expands even more in height as compared to new i20. But, it doesn't look bad at all. Chrome would do even better on it.

Side profile:
- The bonnet appearance is same
- The C pillar is different, it has been covered by a black plastic or vinyl type of sheet that extends to the rear wind shield. Looks great and premium
- The wheel housing design, body lines appear very much similar to current i20
- Appears to be longer than current i20
- The ground clearance appears to be low as compared to other cars, even Honda Jazz.

Overall, the side profile looks beautiful, premium and in sync with front design

Rear- this is new absolutely
- The tail lights are completely new compared to i20 or any hatch that is being sold. Somewhat similar to picture below, only little narrowly stretched from inner side and a little longer vertically on outer sides. The pic below is of i30 premium variant being sold elsewhere in world:
Hyundai_i30_three-door_(rear).jpg

- The rear windshield looks small and the overall appearance of rear doesn't look in sync with rest of car design. Too much of work done on tail lights which may seem to be loud to some people.
- The boot opening mechanism could be either through logo or conventional. I told the surveyor that I would prefer logo to open the boot!

As far as exteriors are concerned its absolutely beautiful, barring the rear which appears to be overdone, but should not be a deal breaker for majority of public.

Then I was taken to another secret closed hall showing a slide show of interiors, and again a series of questionnaire followed.

So, a summary of interiors:
- The upper dashboard portion is light blue! It doesn't look beautiful and spoils the theme of car. I guess there will be options for this color otherwise it may act as a major deterrent in enjoying overall interior experience.
- Auto Climate Control is very much present
- The stereo design is new, its not curvy like the current i20 or verna, but rectangularish like seen on polo or vento.
- The steering is very much same with controls

Tentative details, as I remember:
1.2 Litre, 85 bhp, four cylinder, 14 inch wheels, price starting form 5.38 lacs.
It should be noted that the actual specifications and price can be entirely different because it was used only for survey (as a comparison) purpose.

To offer the grand summary- everything looks similar to current fluidic i20 in terms of features, exteriors (barring the rear), interiors with little changes. Overall, it needs to be seen how different and better this new hatch would be as compared to the existing i20- may be more legroom, boot space, new features, even better engine options etc.

I would be happy to answer any inquisitiveness of fellow members as best I can! And anybody been a part of this survey or knows more info regarding new launch, please share.

lxi.

Suspended
Re: A New Hyundai Hatch On Its Way- Is It i30?

Wow! It looks very sporty and futuristic from the rear. Rightnow, Thats a nice piece of information. Hope this will increase 'Hyundai' buyers in the market.
BTW I also prefer the logo type boot opener (as in VW Polo).

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing :)

Few questions

1) Is this placed between i20 and Verna?
2) Approx length and width? is it sub 4M?
3) Expecting 1.4/1.6 l petrol engine option?

Anyone watched new Hyundai TV add? Which car in this add?

Thread Starter #4

Wow! It looks very sporty and futuristic from the rear. Rightnow, Thats a nice piece of information. Hope this will increase 'Hyundai' buyers in the market.
BTW I also prefer the logo type boot opener (as in VW Polo).
The tail lights that are shown in picture are of current i30 model, but the one in survey were similar to this, not exactly same. Still, those lights looked quite futuristic and unique.

Thanks for sharing :)

Few questions

1) Is this placed between i20 and Verna?
2) Approx length and width? is it sub 4M?
3) Expecting 1.4/1.6 l petrol engine option?

Anyone watched new Hyundai TV add? Which car in this add?
The pricing shown was around 5.40 lacs, without any details of variant. So, I am not sure what could be the actual prices. Must be sub 4m, because it didn't look much longer than Hinda Jazz placed right adjacent.
Again as I said, the engine option was shown as 1.2 litre only, however in reality it could be different when its launched.

Thanks Rightnow.It seems Hyundai is surveying only about Exterior looks,other important things like powertrain,transmission etc might have been already finalised.This maybe a facelift of i20 or may be new ix20.Can you confirm, did you saw the ones below or different one.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wow that's a nice scoop Righnow. Lucky you for being called for such a survey. I would have loved to be tagged along for such an event which i'm sure they would have not allowed.[:D]

I did a little quick research on the internet rearding all the Hyundai's hatchbacks worldwide and the most realistic to be released in india could be this one. Hyundai HB 20 which was launched in Brazil sometime back.

was this the car you saw?
hyundai-hb20-1.jpg
hyundai-hb20-5.jpg

Thread Starter #7

Thanks Rightnow.It seems Hyundai is surveying only about Exterior looks,other important things like powertrain,transmission etc might have been already finalised.This maybe a facelift of i20 or may be new ix20. Can you confirm, did you saw the ones below or different one.
I also think the technical specifications have already been finalized.
No, this is not the one I saw!!

Wow that's a nice scoop Righnow. Lucky you for being called for such a survey. I would have loved to be tagged along for such an event which i'm sure they would have not allowed.[:D]
I did a little quick research on the internet rearding all the Hyundai's hatchbacks worldwide and the most realistic to be released in india could be this one. Hyundai HB 20 which was launched in Brazil sometime back.
was this the car you saw?
They would have definitely allowed you too bro. These guys had a form in which I could see that they had to survey around 10 polo users, so they would have very well taken you in!

No, even this is not the one I saw in display.
I will try to draw a sketch of what I saw soon.

They would have definitely allowed you too bro. These guys had a form in which I could see that they had to survey around 10 polo users, so they would have very well taken you in!

No, even this is not the
Hmm maybe i was not lucky enough this time. Anyways, so it seems Hyundai is making an all new premium hatchback for India. That's great news. I am sure the huge success of i20 in India would have made the korean giants all the more optimistic for another launch in the same category. But i would love to see the internationally launched i30 coming to India. Its a fabulous looking vehicle and i am sure it would have many buyers in India, specially the Tier 1 cities where parking has already become a big hassle and people are ready to go for a luxurious hatchback than a bigger sized sedan or SUV.

Re: A New Hyundai Hatch On Its Way - Is It i30?

So, on this Saturday, I received a call from a lady saying that a new ......................
...........................And anybody been a part of this survey or knows more info regarding new launch, please share.
Off Topic, but do you remember signing a NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT while registering yourself at the desk?

even i was asked for a survey when i had gone to polish my scorpio.

it was about few hatches, specifically.

the ford fiesta hatch

the vw golf

honda civic

hyundai i30/HB20.

i was asked which one i like most and what model could be successful in india.

etc

Thread Starter #11

Hmm maybe i was not lucky enough this time. Anyways, so it seems Hyundai is making an all new premium hatchback for India. That's great news. I am sure the huge success of i20 in India would have made the korean giants all the more optimistic for another launch in the same category. But i would love to see the internationally launched i30 coming to India. Its a fabulous looking vehicle and i am sure it would have many buyers in India, specially the Tier 1 cities where parking has already become a big hassle and people are ready to go for a luxurious hatchback than a bigger sized sedan or SUV.
Hyundai cars have been successful in India because they understand the market close to as Maruti does. This one too should do great.

Off Topic, but do you remember signing a NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT while registering yourself at the desk?
Yeah, I remember. When, I was asked to sign that agreement I said that I cannot participate if you don't let me share my observations with others later. The surveyor agreed that I can share them. After all such speculations help the product even more. Even then, I would specifically call those guys again and tell them that I have shared it on an online forum, just to be safe.

even i was asked for a survey when i had gone to polish my scorpio.
it was about few hatches, specifically.
the ford fiesta hatch
the vw golf
honda civic
hyundai i30/HB20.
i was asked which one i like most and what model could be successful in india.
etc
Mine appeared to be bigger deal. Decent no. of participants and well organized comprehensive campaign.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

wow that's good [:D] i30 sure looks amazing. well they can launch another car between i20 and the verna and the price you mentioned fills the gap. i wonder when they will bring the new tucson. just google hyundai veloster as well. i don't think it will be but just see it as well [:D]

AMG

Suspended
Neverwill it come here.

It will be too expensive, because at the end of the day, it is an elentra hatchback.

Top Bottom