Living the Q Life - Audi Q Drive Event at Pune

Thread Starter #1
Vorsprung durch Technik, meaning "Advancement through Technology" simply put that's Audi for you - the Q Drive events organised in many cities in India just about reiterates that ! It tells one and all what German engineering is all about. The name Audi is synonymous worldwide as a manufacturer of high quality and innovative luxury automobile maker. Audi made its entry in India in 2004 and has never looked back since. Initially taking the CBU approach but slowly moving to a CKD approach via a ever growing facility in Aurangabad. Not many know this but employees of Skoda India assemble some of the Audi models which are already in the CKD form ( A4, A6, Q5, Q7 ). Q3 is also planned to be manufactured the CKD route in Aurangabad shortly.

qlife.jpg

The Q drive event is designed to get you a thorough experience of the Q series models (Q3, Q5 and the monstrous Q7) in the rough!
Audi had already done the event in mumbai with lot of ladies participants (who apparently are a huge clientele of Audi India breaking the notion of SUV's being only for men!).

Gul Panag led the show in Mumbai, some pictures from the mumbai event below.

aud mum.jpg

gul1.jpg

Audi has wisely been targeting a much broader market by targeting the fairer sex(also) and especially a younger upcoming generation with Q3 slogan 'Start Young'.
Strong marketing tactics coupled with familiar bollywood/tv celebrities endorsing audi is pretty common now in several media.

anil.jpg

ameesha.jpg

jacq.jpg

nikhilc.jpg

The Pune event happened near Koregaon park, as it was close to my house I was already watching the buzz a day before the event officially started. An offroad track was prepared using a bulldozer with different kinds of common offroad hurdles (Inclines, Declines, Banking, Slush etc ) to test various aspects like balance, articulation, approach angles , departure angles, breakover, stability of some of the quattro monsters.[:D]

For me(and others) the event started with filling a customary indemnity form that I am responsible for my own stupidity while driving and cannot blame anyone else. The pretty ladies at the desk asked if I was 18 and over and have a driving license, I immediately obliged by showing them my old license which was in tatters inside a small plastic cover (the old book type one and not the new fancy plastic card). It was a fulfilling experience to show the license to someone a little more beautiful than the customary "mama" who is waiting at a signal to pounce at a poor fellow. Ill explain :-

Mama(Traffic Constable):- Chala Chala license kada (English translation : Cmon out with the license )
Pretty Ladies :- Sir if you dont mind can I please check your driving license ?

feel the difference now ehh (Ok , I did make up the over 18 part, but the rest is factual!)?

The Pune event was extremely well choreographed with the same team managing the show who do the Audi Sportscar experience at tracks like Buddh international circuit. Aniruddha(Head - Marketing) was extremely courteous and addressing customers on the floor of the event helping them understand Audi offerings better.

The drill was simple, a convoy of cars is led through the offroad track moving synchronously while keeping a safe distance. The first round is done by the Audi team with you sitting beside and enjoying the ride. The convoy is a mix of Q3, Q5 and Q7 SUVs. I was in the leading Q5 driven around the circuit, quite exhilarating while being cocooned in plush interiors.

The convoy were carefully synchronized via walky talkies with each obstacle crossed one at a time and lead convoy driver giving instructions to the followers. It was a good chat with the lead guy from the Audi team talking about his R8 driving at Buddh circuit to doing offroad drive events all over India - and the best part getting paid for doing all of this, only one word 'envy' !!

After the assisted round, we began the self driven part and very smartly I requested to be anchored to the monstrous Q7(Automatic) and the team happily obliged. After making a few checks/adjustments to familiarize with the controls, the most impressive and talked about component the adaptive suspension caught my eye(off course). It has several setups like Lift, Offroad, Comfort, Automatic, Dynamic, fairly easy and intuitive controls from a user perspective.

My drive began with a series of awkward ditches and ruts to test the vehicle suspension geometry, it followed a banking test, a steep incline and decline , some deep ditches to check articulations , again some banking's following gc testing rut and finally a slush section. I wouldn't go in the technical and functional aspects of the vehicle as this was a short offroad test drive under managed conditions. However I would like to mention the auto Q7 TDI had an absolute monster under the hood, extremely quiet and timid at idle and low revs and a mild blowing grunt at high end. The ability of the Quattro to adapt to various conditions with a computer thinking for you inside the car was very apparent, when the going went tough the computer decides whats the right thing to do and the dumb driver just has to keep the accelerator pressed. Even in such a short drive one could figure out there is immense engineering working for you behind the scenes with the auto box keeping you away from the nitty gritties.

And now let the pictures do all the talking :-

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
And some more :-

306698_586085994754388_711253708_n.jpg

535549_586092311420423_1475557717_n.jpg

536653_586085811421073_483022996_n.jpg

546930_586085571421097_384810878_n.jpg

559249_586089904753997_1635131102_n.jpg

599979_586085304754457_1440848483_n.jpg

15277_586093614753626_566453728_n.jpg

The event ended for me exchanging pleasantries with Aniruddha and we are hopeful Audi India also let TAI do a detailed road test review soon.
All in all fantastic organisation behind the scenes by Audi Pune, well thought out and even better orchestrated.

Its no wonder Audi India is moving to the top of the rung in such a short span of time!

Photo Courtesy :- Jeremy and Aniruddha from Audi Pune

Last edited:
Excellent coverage Iron Rock. I hope you enjoyed the dirt track with the Q7.

BTW who are the ladies in the second pic, Owners, models or the journos?

Thread Starter #5
The muted grunt of the Q7 still rings a bell in my ear, it was phenomenal.

Audi had done a woman's drive event in mumbai, those are pics from there.
The Pune pictures are the ones at the end of the writeup.

IR, Any pics of you in action:wink: Was there any kind of tutorial presentation? I can see in the first pic? My guess: They might have shown you some videos of the dirt driving.

BTW the Q7 in the last pic is looking scarily tilted.

Wondeful report, we had seen a Q3 with the same decals with Nikhil Chinnapa on the back seat on our Bangalore meet, you can find the pic's in the Bangalore meet thread.

Thread Starter #9
IR, Any pics of you in action:wink: Was there any kind of tutorial presentation? I can see in the first pic? My guess: They might have shown you some videos of the dirt driving.
BTW the Q7 in the last pic is looking scarily tilted.
Yes there was a presentation with videos, i did miss that part though as i was late from the Mahindra plant.
Yes it looks scary but it aint and if you aren't wearing your seat belts you would be sliding towards the doors, but inside it felt supremely stable! While probably not even 1% of the owners would ever take it offroad, but it helps understanding what the vehicle is capable of and how stable it is - phenomenal engineering.

Wondeful report, we had seen a Q3 with the same decals with Nikhil Chinnapa on the back seat on our Bangalore meet, you can find the pic's in the Bangalore meet thread.
Yes they are moving from city to city, if i remember right after Pune the next Q Drive event was Chennai. Hope to see the Q3 in the CKD form soon, that will make them numero uno amongst the usual german trios.

Wow, i could actually feel the dirt track. After viewing the video i am sure you must have had a mindblowing experience. The track looks to have been very well made.

PS: IR, Was this first of its kind event by Audi in Pune?

Thread Starter #12
The track was pretty decent considering this was a public event and well thought out.

Yes this was the first in Pune, there are doing it in most tier 1/2 cities. The turnout was also pretty good.

Heard a few people referring to this as the same Audi that Ravi Shastri won ages back, guess India's first public tryst with Audi was the one Ravi Shastri won(though that was an Audi sedan).[:)]

350Z

Core Team
You are lucky to experience two great events on the same day (Mahindra plant visit and then living an Audi Q Life). I participated in a similar event by Skoda in 2011 which left me mesmerized with the capabilities of Yeti. So I can understand how awesome this would have been. Getting behind the wheel of Q7 that too in this kind of terrain is really an experience of its own. :smile: Please upload more pictures or videos if available.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom