Alert: 5% Ethanol Blending Mandatory in Petrol

Thread Starter #1
The committee, headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, has also approved market-based pricing of the biofuel, opening the market for ethanol producers - mostly sugar companies. So far, the OMCs have been contracting ethanol at the provisional procurement price of Rs 27 per litre, fixed by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) in August 2010.

The petroleum ministry is now likely to come up with a gazette notification and float tenders for price discovery and procurement of ethanol.

The CCEA has also allowed import of ethanol if OMCs face any shortage of the biofuel in the domestic market for blending purpose. "There is no shortage of ethanol in the country as it had produced 220 crore litres of ethanol in 2010-11. However, if need be, the OMCs may be allowed to imported for blending purpose," said a minister, who had attended the meeting.

The ethanol-blended petrol is in effect in 13 states out of 19 states mandated for EBP programme. In these 13 states also, the implementation was partial with lifting of only 44 crore litres of ethanol. The department of chemicals, which is a major user of ethanol, had been opposing the EBP programme arguing that it would hurt the chemicals industry by diverting its share of ethanol to the OMCs.

The EBP programme will require 105 crore litres of ethanol annually and will help OMCs to save cost by way of difference in the prices of ethanol and petrol. "While a litre of petrol costs around 70, ethanol costs 40 a litre.
Link:Five per cent ethanol to be mixed in petrol from December - Economic Times

Will this move by GOI affect BS3 petrol cars,I am worried as I own one??!![confused]

Re: Alert: 5% Ethanol blending mandatory from December

What about the 2 wheelers most of them or BS2, and does any modification required on the engine front?

Thread Starter #3

What about the 2 wheelers most of them or BS2, and does any modification required on the engine front?
As far as I know this could lead to less fuel efficiency and would stimulate engine corrosion.Very bad move by GOI it seems for now.

I heard this will fit for all engines manufactured after 2000. BTW, cos of this will fuel price will be less?

And I saw a news that Brazil and US are fully utilizing Enthanol. In US E85 fuel is widely used.

This can be used only with petrol not with diesel.

As far as I know this could lead to less fuel efficiency and would stimulate engine corrosion.Very bad move by GOI it seems for now.
Yes ethanol is blamed for growth of microorganisms in side the fuel storage systems theirby leading to corrosion.

would this have a negative effect on current generation cars like brio etc ?

Then how come brazil and US managing with this kind of fuels?
In US there is concern raised by engine makers about this issue and govts are making additives compulsory to counter balence the said effects.

Don't know about brazil, Fellow Taian Ankx should throw some light.

would this have a negative effect on current generation cars like brio etc ?
Hondas have taken care by providing fibre fuel tank for Jazz and I am sure brio won't be neglected by them.

@Tornado Thanks for the info about US cars. Hope we can also force some kind of rules like US did. We should have an alternate fuel at any cost.

Hope My sparky also will manage this. And more over Govt is trying to add only 5% of ethanol only.

And some where I had read that already 13 states are already has this type of fuel. any idea what are they.

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT ETHANOL
  • Ethanol is produced from corn, soybeans, sugar cane, or other organic material. It is blended with gasoline (10% ethanol, 90% gasoline) to produce E10.
  • Ethanol has 28% less energy density than gasoline, so it reduces fuel efficiency. [frustration]
  • Ethanol is an excellent solvent, drying agent and cleanser. It will clean or dissolve some parts of, and deposits in, fuel storage and fuel delivery systems, including some fuel tank materials. The dissolved material can clog filters or pass through and leave deposits on fuel injectors, fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, carburetor jets, intake tracts, valves, and valve guides.
[cry]

My XETA has steel fuel tank will it also corrode?[cry] How can I save it from corrosion?:
In US, they are using 100% alklyted phenols (anti oxidants)as fuel additives to prevent corrosion probably, I am not sure.
In India such additives will be available asa ethanol containing fuel is available.
Basic principle of anti pollution law is that ' the polluter should pay', so cost of additives will be borne by car users.

@Nitin , In India, it will be 5% ethanol , so it will be E5, and above mentioned problems won't be as severe as E10.

@Sethu , I read the 13 states with availability of ethanol containing fuel for the first time on your post.
Probably you are confused with availability of ultra low sulfer fuel (BS4)availability in 13 cities from april 2010.[confused]

Re: Alert: 5% Ethanol Blending Mandatory from December

this is bad, i have a 20 year old Bike. so this means that its engine will be damaged?
btw will this affect premium petrol (speed) too? and what about private like Reliance, ESSAR etc?

In US, they are using 100% alklyted phenols (anti oxidants)as fuel additives to prevent corrosion probably, I am not sure.
In India such additives will be available asa ethanol containing fuel is available.
Basic principle of anti pollution law is that ' the polluter should pay', so cost of additives will be borne by car users.

@Nitin , In India, it will be 5% ethanol , so it will be E5, and above mentioned problems won't be as severe as E10.

@Sethu , I read the 13 states with availability of ethanol containing fuel for the first time on your post.
Probably you are confused with availability of ultra low sulfer fuel (BS4)availability in 13 cities from april 2010.[confused]
Sorry I might have confused with two different info on the subject.

Five per cent ethanol to be mixed in petrol from December - Economic Times
5 per cent ethanol to be mixed in petrol from December - Indian Express

I do not know which is right [the second I found just today]

Re: Alert: 5% Ethanol Blending Mandatory from December

What is the reason for compulsory addition. Is it to minimize pollution or reduce cost of fuel or reduce imports ?

Top Bottom