Future Poll: Which Alternative Fuel Powered Car?

Which Alternative Fuel You Prefer?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Since we all are aware that the rate at which current fossil fuels are being used will not be available any longer in the approaching years and some of the informed Car Manufacturers have already started researching and developing cars which will be powered by alternative fuels. Even in India we have some alternative fuel powered cars such as Maini Reva Hatchback, Honda Civic Hybrid Saloon, Toyota Prius Hybrid Cross-over, Though they are not much popular in country yet but imagine if the Petrol/Diesel is not available and you have the range of cars to choose which are only powered by other resources, Which would You Prefer Among Ones Mentioned Below and Why?

• Gas Powered
  • Electric Vehicle
  • Ethanol
  • Hybrids
  • Solar Cars

Drive Safe,
350Z

I voted for Hybrids.
I see lots of research and also launches are happening in this space. Though pure Electric Vehicles will be better option, but i don't see that as alternative option for near future.

Electric vehicles are nice option, but when it comes to practicality, it fails!

I have voted for Hybrids, which are smarter than us :)

I am voting for ethanol. Though I would still consider it a waste of stuff that can be put to better use!!

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
Electric Vehicles and Hybrids takes my vote since they have already turned out into reality and could be a nice alternative in near future also ethanol is a nice option too. Solar Cars are a good concept but needs to be tested more for all conditions and practicality before they can be bought onto the roads like any other fuel powered vehicles.

Solar Car: Toyota Prius Hybrid

Hybrid Car: Honda Civic Hybrid

Ethanol Car: Ferrari F430!

Electric Car: Hyundai i10

Gas Powered

Drive Safe,
350Z

Honda says new hybrid system for big cars in sight

Economictimes
Honda Motor Co has taken a big step towards developing a new hybrid system for larger cars, its head of automobile research and development said on Friday, indicating a finished product could be about three years away.

"We've left the research stage and entered the field of development," Tomohiko Kawanabe, chief operating officer of automobile R&D at Japan's No.2 automaker, told Reuters in an interview.

Honda's gasoline-electric cars such as the Insight and the CR-Z, to be launched next week, use a single electric motor, unlike Toyota Motor Corp's two-motor Prius. Honda's hybrid system has the advantage of being simple and cheaper but trails Toyota's "full" hybrid system in fuel efficiency.

Honda had originally planned to raise fuel efficiency in its bigger cars by using clean diesel technology, but abandoned that strategy in late 2008, instead switching to developing a hybrid system that can be mounted on larger cars such as the Odyssey minivan and Pilot SUV.

Electric Vehicles and Hybrids takes my vote since they have already turned out into reality and could be a nice alternative in near future also ethanol is a nice option too.
Drive Safe,
350Z
Not that bad on the ethanol front.
Brazil has been using ethanol for over 30 years, and today the min. ethanol mix available is 25% (E25) with most cars being sold today capable of handling between E25 and E100 (Pure ethanol). At one time, nearly 1/3 of the cars in Brazil were running on E100.
The Fiat 147 launched in the late 1970s was the first car to run on pure ethanol.

I voted for Hybrids too, as i believe it is the most practical fuel option amongst all of them. EVs are the least practical for India, where in several places, we have no electricity at all. Solar power too isn't the best solution. Cars like the Toyota Prius are definitely the way to go.

Hybrids steals my vote too along with Gas powered cars. We are already seeing so many gas powered cars around which are extremely enviornment friendly but downside is that they are not very safe and car faces the performance drop as well. hmm..and about solar cars well not much practical, better leave solar energy to heat water and food only.lol. and wow Ferrrari running on ethanol (?!!?) Guys, How about a car with nuclear energy?? [evil]

Hybrids steals my vote too along with Gas powered cars. We are already seeing so many gas powered cars around which are extremely enviornment friendly but downside is that they are not very safe and car faces the performance drop as well. hmm..and about solar cars well not much practical, better leave solar energy to heat water and food only.lol. and wow Ferrrari running on ethanol (?!!?) Guys, How about a car with nuclear energy?? [evil]
LOL! Nuclear energy! Well do you know that even the Bentley Continental Supersports, which produces 600bhp+, can run on 85% ethanol? That's fantastic!

GM joins hand with US Department of Energy and CSMCRI to Develop Jatropha for Biofuel

Fuel crisis is not a new issue. It has been a major worry for most of the Developed as well as Developing nations. Various solutions are being formulated, two of which are electric vehicles and alternative fuels. To work more on the second solution, a five year partnership has been signed between India’s Central Salt & Marine Chemicals Research Institute (CSMCRI) and the General Motors and the US Department of Energy (DOE) duo. CSMCRI is based in Bhavnagar, Gujarat and will work together with the partners to formulate a Bio fuel energy crop out of Jatropha. Jatropha is a plant which is traditionally considered as weed. The partnership intends to prove that this weed could be made to some good use due to its ability to produce significant quantities of oil for commercial scale conversion to biodiesel. Developing new varieties of the plant will also be a part of the partnership.

1.jpg

India has always been an agricultural country. The country has suffered the odds such as droughts, floods, lack of fertility and cultivable land. But the Jatropha is not a big deal to grow as it is a draught resistant crop which requires minimum care to grow. Jatropha, unlike corn and sugar which is produced in other parts of the world for Bio fuel, is inedible. Thus it will have nothing to do with the food chain.

Two new farms will be established by the new partnership including a 33 hectare plot in Bhavnagar and a 20-hectare plot in Kalol. GM and CSMCRI’s existing 30-hectare jatropha farm in Bhavnagar will also be overseen by this.

“If jatropha proves commercially viable, it will reduce India’s dependence on imported oil while cutting greenhouse gas emissions and promoting economic growth,” he said. “And if jatropha does indeed prove commercially viable, GM India will be ready to respond by introducing biodiesel-capable products,” said Mr. Karl Slym, President and Managing Director of General Motors India who believes that the partnership is an example of the companies commitment towards green technology and alternative fuel.

“Jatropha is emerging as a promising feedstock choice and alternative fuel source in India. Lab-optimized strains of jatropha, produced through selective and marker-assisted breeding, will be cultivated by our partnership. CSMCRI, under the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India will also play an important role in the cultivation of our jatropha plantations. A complete lifecycle analysis will be conducted to evaluate the environmental impact, starting with fertilizer production from raw materials and ending with the harvesting of the jatropha fruit, which contains the oil,” said Dr. Pushpito Ghosh, Director of CSMCRI.

motoroids

Jathropa fuel research has been going on for a long time.

In Brazil Corn fuel is used and its very common.

If research can send man on moon and create a floating station in space, they can as well find an alternate fuel. I think government all over does not one to do anything in this field as they will loose grounds on many things.

How will the world be if that happens. Imagine you growing and creating your own fuel and running your vehcile. On even larger scale all the transporter growing their own fuel to run thier trucks. what will the consequences of these sort of economy.

Top Bottom