Global NCAP Results: Popular Small Cars Alto, i10, Nano Fail Crash Test

Thread Starter #1
Some of the most popular small cars sold in India, including Maruti Alto 800, Tata Nano, Ford Figo, Hyundai i10 and Volkswagen Polo, have failed crash tests showing high risk of life-threatening injuries in road accidents, according to Global NCAP.

As per the tests done by Global NCAP, an independent charity based in UK focused on consumer orientated vehicle safety initiatives, these cars received zero for adult protection ratings in a frontal impact at 64km/hr.

Read more at: Popular small cars Alto, i10, Nano fail crash test: Global NCAP - The Economic Times

Probably the reason why VW has made airbags mandatory in all version of the Polo.

Main website here: http://www.globalncap.org/crash-tests-show-indias-cars-are-unsafe/

Makes us understand why Airbags are essential now a days.

Last edited:
Strange ..have seen videos on you tube of Nano crash testin UK.
Having said that i really hope GOI makes the airbags and ABS compulsory.
NCAAP or indian safety stds for our cars is waay overdue

It's very dangers that our own people travelling on such a high risk factor. Indian government need to be more strict with the safety parameters for cars like making the completion of at-least 1 or 2 airbags, ABS as a standard features on all new cars, which will results in more safety on the Indian roads. [:)]

Not surprising,but will this make manufacturers equip cars with safety features?No.Will this make people buy safer cars,hell no.Only GOVERNMENT can sort this mess by making mandatory minimum safety features in cars.Till that time only the sensible people will buy safer cars to be ridiculed by others that ABS and Airbags are not needed for safe drivers!

for me Nano and 800 was expected. But what scares me is that i10 - 4star international rating, polo - star internationla rating, and figo coming from ford stable which are known to be solidly built, make such less quality cars in India. They definitely have taken us for granted.

for me Nano and 800 was expected. But what scares me is that i10 - 4star international rating, polo - star internationla rating, and figo coming from ford stable which are known to be solidly built, make such less quality cars in India. They definitely have taken us for granted.
Well if you read the article fully it mentions that both the polo and the figo have a stable structural design whereas the other 3 do not,which means that even if these 3 cars are fitted with airbags it will not help in mitigating the impact of a collision.The top variant of Polo(having 2 airbags) when tested scored 4/5 stars in the same test which is certainly not bad,I am sure if they tested the top variant of Figo it would have scored better.Also saying from my personal experience Figo is more 'solid' than the i10,likewise polo feels better built than say a swift.
For me it was the i10 which was a real shocker.Given that it is a global car which was sold in both developed(Europe) and developing countries,this result is very disheartening.
On another note,I would love to see the Ncap results of the swift,punto and the Omni[frustration]

Icecool,That was hilarious!Its scary to know how manufacturers strip their cars when they launch it here.Nano and Alto and the likes which fare the least should be brought to the notice of the larger public,but the media will keep mum because of the ad revenues from the car manufacturers.

they are not giving Indians Airbags and even ABS. but, at the bare minimum, we expects they(car makers) don't do cost cutting in the structure. but, they are caught redhanded with the cost cutting successfully into the structural enforcement also. we, mock Chinese cars. but, our cars are not much different. that may be why, some American car maker is obsessed with bringing China cars here rebadged.
However, I hope this news spreads like wildfire even among the novice new car buyers so that they may be expecting a little bit more from manufacturers not ABS or Airbags, but the Car body frame is not made lighter for cost cutting measures. this is where we must be shocked.
Tin can body makers must be stopped from producing more of these examples.

I think we are walking straight in to some trap. We all knew that in India safety is given a lower priority and we need only VFM cars.If we check Maruti Suzuki,Tata cars
(Made in India ) very few will pass the test.The reasons are structural integrity ,ESC ,Airbags, Pedestrian protection etc,which are not maintained .
Suddenly the European cars only winning the stars makes me to think the timing of this particular process. (Two days back VV polo had declared that they will have all cars with Airbags ,for which they increased the price.The diesel VV cars have some gear issue too).
Is it to promote the Polo with airbags? Just my thought.
Or they want to introduce these vehicles in Europe?
Moreover these are only frontal crash.
What about side impact and roll over?
Is it because India is coming out with its own Crash testing?
There is something not right.

Please note I am for safety in cars.

Any safety aspect is must on every car, but some how this NCAP this as reported in this thread make to think the following

1.Is safety feature for sales ??
2.Is safety feature for real safety of the consumer ??

And unfortunately in my opinion the 1st option above is true and get few questions in mind below

-How best is this EuroNCAP, is this similar to a CE marking on a product
-Only European agencies are superior in the world to dictate the safety norms
-Are Indian manufacturers are least bothered about safety
-All these European star rating tests are foolproof OR can be implemented in Indian kind of road/driving culture conditions
-If a car gets 5 star rating in this EuroNCAP is that superior in providing safety
-Is NCAP means only Airbags(when I read the case of VW Polo) OR Body built is important

disclaimar : I personally stand for any kind of safety aspect introduced, but open to discuss its real meaning and effect in real time

Last edited:
No political party os bothered about it..

I have mailed AAP to look into this. CoSTS OF airbags/ speed breaks will come by 50% due to economies of scale if made compulsory.

Life is so cheap in india

Top Bottom