TAI's Mahindra XUV5OO Owner Satisfaction Survey

Are you satisfied with the ownership experience of your XUV?

• No, I am dis-satisfied.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
A lot has been discussed about the XUV when it comes to issues, A.S.S., niggles, etc. I have always been told that since the XUV has so many issues in so and so batches, many owners are unhappy with their cars.

That made me start this thread to get a reality check about what actual XUV owners think about their cars. So, I request only actual XUV owners to please comment and vote on the above poll.

Non-owners: please feel free to pour in with your comments, but let the poll be used by actual owners only, so that we can get a realistic idea.

Note: Before someone points out, this thread is on similar lines of the "Tata Reliability Survey" thread. The only intention behind this thread is to know how satisfied or dissatisfied ACTUAL OWNERS of XUV are, since there is a lot of hearsay about their dissatisfaction in the internet.

Last edited:
Very good initiative [clap] , . Rating it 5 *

All readers / guest who visit our forum other then our esteemed members and are interested in xuv can see all the satisfaction level in one proper thread that too coming from owners of xuv directly .

I as a reader / enthusiast will rate and find this survey more genuine and legitimate then the gimmicky TNS survey result advertised by mahindra recently .

Just some suggestion to make this thread more solid and effective ( feel free to take or avoid )

Try and request owners to also mention when they bought the car , how many Kms it has travelled , and if parts have been replaced by mahindra which parts are replaced and how many times and why .

You can also post this link on mahindra xuv 5oo official Facebook and twitter page , so we can get more owners coming and reporting here which in return can become members of TAI , and even mahindra will start taking interest in this thread and watch closely which in return will be helpful for owners and would be owners .

If some forum has a long long niggles thread about the XUV 5 oo running till now , let this be a long long long satisfaction thread .

@ abhijeet - buddy what is the model of xuv you have w6 or w8 and when did you buy it ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
^^^ Thanks a lot Raja. That's a great suggestion. I would request all members who are voting to give the following information about their cars:

1) Model:
2) Date purchased:
3) Kms run:
4) Parts replaced:
5) Reason for satisfaction or dis-satisfaction:

Meanwhile, I have voted in the poll as 'satisfied'.

1) Model: W8 FWD

2) Date purchased: October 2012

3) Kms run: 17000

4) Parts replaced: Steering hose pipe, wiper blade end and front power window units under the recall. Apart from that, the front bushes and anti-roll bar was check/replaced under my complaint that the suspension was making noise.

5) Reason for satisfaction: Apart from the suspension noise, my car had no major issues. M&M is giving me prompt service and their attitude towards me is always good. My car does not have any issues with the brakes (grinding noise), still they have agreed to replace the brake pads and pedals, however they ran out of stock... For me, any mechanical product can have niggles. What is more important for me is how the company takes care of me while their product is not behaving as intended.

Last edited:
That’s a very good effort Raj and as Raja said it’s better than any other survey as the owners can pour in their actual experience which will show us the real customer satisfaction as this will be coming straight from the owners itself. Rating this thread with 5 *.

Car Model: XUV 5OO (W8)
Car Bought: November 2012
Kms Travelled: 11095
Parts Changed: Brake Pads (Due to grinding noise) – Once
Services: 2 free services done so far at 5000 & 10000 kms.
Dealer: Sterling Motors, Faridabad
Ownership Thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...aco-mahindra-xuv-5oo-w8-ownership-review.html

It’s been almost 7 months since we purchased our XUV and the current ODO is around 11000 kms and this is enough to make out whether the car is reliable enough or not, are there any niggles?

Niggles: Well so far we only encountered only 1 issue and that was the famous grinding noise though there was no problem or issue with the braking capability of the vehicle. On the first service I reported this issue and at that time M&M cleaned the brake pads and told me that if the issue arises again I am most welcome to report it and they will take care of it. The noise vanished for about 3 weeks but came back again I reported the same to my HM (Hospitality Manager). And he asked me to come in and if I want they can arrange a pick- up and drop-off service. I preferred taking the XUV myself and they told me that I will get my car back in 2 hours but it was ready in 1.3 hours itself. Also they gave a free car wash and polish service as well.

Besides that we have not encountered any other issue or niggle in our XUV. There are tons of electric features and all of them have been performing the way they should. Also there is no kind of rattling noise in the vehicle as well.

Service: Our XUV has gone through 2 free services and both the times our XUV was delivered on time which was committed to us and each and every point that we mentioned before service was taken care off. Regular calls for feedback after the service or anytime our XUV visits the dealership.

Customer Service: I would say excellent, anytime I have visited the dealer I have got an excellent service, king type feeling and my HM listens to me very carefully and patiently. I always get a feedback call anytime my car visits M&M.

About my Ride: As we know that the ride quality is on the stiffer side but never felt uncomfortable. There is so much legroom in the first 2 rows that it makes the long journeys easy and comfortable.
Now talking about stability I have changed lanes at a speed varying from 40-120 and always felt the confidence in the car. Taken turns at 80 kms felt bit body roll and that’s about it. Love the low end torque, it just turns the XUV into a jet. Except 2 occasions I don’t remember that I had to shift down to overtake a vehicle. Each and every feature provided in XUV is useful and serves the purpose really well. I usually get an overall FE around 13-14 kml which includes 50% highway and 50% city driving, maximum FE I have acquired is 14.7 kml. And for me it’s cent to cent a VFM and fun to drive vehicle. And if somebody asks me whether I should buy a XUV or not? I would definitely say YES. [thumbsup]

Overall I will rate ownership and customer satisfaction 9.5/10.

My recommendations:
I would love to see the following things in XUV.
1. Enhanced interior quality, something similar to Storme.
2. Automatic transmission.
3. A tow hook on the rear side of the XUV. Recently my XUV got stuck in the mud but there was no towing hook on the back side of the vehicle hence it was pulled out by putting chains on the chassis.
4. Auto dimming IRVM & ORVM.
Note: These are my personal and actual experience

Car Model: XUV 5OO (W8)
Car Bought: Feb 2013
Kms Travelled: 4500
Parts Changed: None
Services: None yet
Dealer: India Garage, Bangalore (St. Marks Road)
Ownership Thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/11550-my-yet-named-xuv5oo-buying-ownership-experience.html

I rated as Satisfied. The simple reason is 'Value for Money'. I go on complaining what is missing / what could be better; but I was pretty much convinced about what I would get for what I am paying. Having said that, I am a very demanding customer and can make noise to get what I deserve (read it as - for what I have paid).

Niggles - I had two issues thus far. First - the Cruise Control went off on a long drive; haven't been on a long drive recently hence not checked if the issue persists. Secondly - the AC dissipates 'heat' rather than 'cool air' at times. This is very erratic and I noticed it few times in the last 5 months. The workaround fix I found - switch off the vehicle, lock, unlock, and restart. Sounds strange but my background is in IT and found this work at office many times ([;)]). It worked with XUV too. This is something am quite unhappy about and shall take it up during my upcoming first service.

Ride Quality - top notch! Without bragging, I have driven 100+ different types of cars (during my overseas tenure), including some of the best German, Japanese and American cars; XUV stands among the top few! Again, my assessment is purely based on 'what you got for what you pay'. Extremely comfortable ride, and I have no fear when I ride on rough stretches. My family vouches for the same, 'coz they have been in Scorpio (my earlier car), and few other cars in the past.

FE is something I am little concerned about; it is around 11KM/Litre. 95% of my ride is in city traffic. Hope it improves after the first service.

Overall, I would rate my experince thus far 9/10 (I am hard to please guy [:)]).

Thread Starter #6
Thanks for voting 'singh890' and 'manuman'.

FE is something I am little concerned about; it is around 11KM/Litre. 95% of my ride is in city traffic. Hope it improves after the first service.
11 kmpl is very good for a 140 bhp 2 ton SUV driven in city traffic buddy.

Ride Quality - top notch! Without bragging, I have driven 100+ different types of cars (during my overseas tenure), including some of the best German, Japanese and American cars; XUV stands among the top few! Again, my assessment is purely based on 'what you got for what you pay'. Extremely comfortable ride, and I have no fear when I ride on rough stretches. My family vouches for the same, 'coz they have been in Scorpio (my earlier car), and few other cars in the past.
+100 to that. Even i had the same feeling when i entered into the XUV for the first time. After driving quite a number of cars in US i didn't felt like i am sitting in a car from an Indian manufacturer.

That's not a bad FE for a SUV driven 95% in city.

Thanks for voting 'singh890' and 'manuman'.
It's a nice initiative Raj. And I would love to see all XUV owners providing their feedback.

1. Model: XUV 500 W8 FWD
2. Date purchased: 30 May 2012
3. Kms travelled: 35000 kms
4. Parts changed: Steering hose pipe, Wipers (not sure what they changed), Front brake pads.
5. Ownership thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/13228-mahindra-xuv500-w8-fwd-long-term-ownership-report.html#post299135

Our XUV has had its fair share of problems, like most XUVs in the early batch. There were few visits to the A.S.S. to fix. Steering alignment issue was a bit annoying at first, but it was fixed in the first two months. The same goes for the brake grinding noise(performance was unaffected), fixed a month ago. Apart from this, they changed few parts as recall. But these issues can be overlooked as they didn't require me to cancel a trip or stop midway. It is fast, extremely fuel efficient, reasonable service cost, spacious, comfortable, and looks good too. So, the overall experience is good and I would suggest it to anyone.

1) Model: W8 FWD
2) Date purchased: 9th February 2013
3) Kms run: 98XX
4) Parts replaced: NONE
5) Reason for satisfaction or dis-satisfaction:
6) Ownership Thread: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/11893-say-hello-optimus-tuscan-red-mahindra-xuv5oo-w8-fwd.html

I have rated the thread as Satisfied.

I have done close to 10k km in close to 5 months of ownership. It includes one long drive from Pune-Kota-Manali-Kota-Nagpur-Pune covering close to 6000 km.

Niggles:
1. Slight sound coming when the steering is turned to extreme left. Have to get it checked.
2. Vibrations in the steering wheel at speeds above 110+. Have to get it checked.
3. The passenger side front window roll up operation not smooth. the glass gets a flick after one point. Have to get it checked.

Apart from these things havent been trouble with any niggle.

The Optimus has performed exceptionally well in the entire ownership. Very reliable in the runs. Infact, my wife who works in Tata Motors and who had pushed Storme during the initial phases also says this was one of my best decisions ever.

Fuel efficiency: I have got an average of around 13.4kmpl during ownership. The max I saw on the MID was 18. you can track my mileage here https://www.fuelly.com/driver/kinshukarya/xuv-5oo-w8-fwd?fu=4566868

Have met with one accident till now where the front bumper is dislodged and something inside it has bent. Still thinking whether to claim insurance or not but will see how my RM behaves to it and then report here.

Just a plus point: At one leg of the long drive I have carried 3 passengers and the rest of the Optimus filled with luggage and even then sounding the warning chime wasnt hard. [;)]

and Optimus had been converted to a pick up truck in the past couple of days to move my house and boy it can gobble up luggage like anything.

Things I would like to change:
1. Adjustable second row horizontally to free up a bit more leg space in the third row.
Nothing else that I can think of.

All in All KUDOS! to Mahindra for getting this vehicle spot on along with the after sales.

Thread Starter #10
Thanks for all the owners who have voted. I am still waiting for a few more owners to contribute with their votes and comments.

I have a XUV 500 W6. I bought my car in august 2013 and till the date my car has completed about 17000 kms which includes 1 marriage. I must say the car is well built.

Niggle faced:
1. At 3000 kms: The famous clutch problem. The clutch went down on Gurgaon- Delhi expressway in a jam, then I pulled it up and it just worked fine. Next day I took my car to MASS and they replaced my clutch free of cost.

Excluding this the car is completely niggle free.

bhvm

Honoured Member
The vote results show 100% satisfaction! This is a Benchmark!

Something about my Thunderbolt-
1) Model: XUV 500 THunderbolt
2) Date purchased: April 2013
3) Kms run:21,000
4) Parts replaced: DVD player
5) Reason for satisfaction or dis-satisfaction: A Benckmark Indian Product. The Nearest service center is 100 KM away (one way) SO I can't get proper service at times. Rest all is well.

Top Bottom