The Ultimate B2 Segment Hatchback Comparison!

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Just thought of starting a thread to discuss on the B2 segment hatchbacks currently available in India. There are 14 cars in this segment based on various factors including engine, technical specification, power, Price etc.

To start off, lets look at the comparison table (technical specification wise) of all B2 segment hatches -

The hatches can be further classified in to the following sub segments based on features and price -
B2 Premium - Jazz, I20, Polo, Punto and Swift
B2 Mid Variant - Etios Liva, Fabia, Chevy Sail, Ford Figo and Honda Brio
B2 Entry level variant - Ritz, I10, Micra and Pulse

Attachments

Last edited:
There is no way in this world Vista is beneath the "el cheapo" Etios in premiumness or quality or anything. As far as size goes,its a size bigger than Ritz.So under whichever parameter you have made this nice comparo(yes its really nice) please add Vista atleast to the mid-premium category.Without Vista's inclusion I dare say your comparo looks incomplete.

There is no way in this world Vista is beneath the "el cheapo" Etios in premiumness or quality or anything. As far as size goes,its a size bigger than Ritz.So under whichever parameter you have made this nice comparo(yes its really nice) please add Vista atleast to the mid-premium category.Without Vista's inclusion I dare say your comparo looks incomplete.
Why mid premium. I think It deserves to be in Premium segment. far better than Fabia atleast. [lol]

Shock shock shock.... no VISTA. Please add that. Vista is spacious,feature rich,vfm & comfortable...

Guys,

Please let me know that Vista falls on which segment?
Vista falls in so many segments, so many variants and engine options that's the beauty of this car. I paid 5 lakh OTR for lowest possible variant of Vista 'Diesel' ie. TDI LS. Much better than to splurge on WagonR type petrol vehicle! Only TATA can provide sedan class comfort this cheap and it's top versions are fully loaded and reasonably priced! I wanted frugal simple diesel engine car which can be repaired anywhere.

Now you will have TDI, CR4, Safire65, Safire90, Quadrajet75, Quadrajet90 and Diesel trims - LS/LX/VX/ZX, petrol trims - GLS, GLX, GVX, GZX.

Then different interiors (Manza Dashboard) for Quadrajet 90.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Disclaimer - There are various factors which contribute in deciding the segment to which a car belongs. Chief among them are Price, Features, Space, Engine and Power. Based on all these factors combined, the Indian car market has been segmented into the following sections -

A Segment - Alto, Nano, Eon, 800 and Spark
B1 Segment - Wagon R, Indica+Vista, Beat, Santro, Estilo and A-Star
B2 Segment - Swift, I20, I10, Figo, Polo, Ritz, Liva, Brio, Micra, Punto, Jazz, Pulse, Fabia and Sail U-AV

The above list of cars complete the hatchback version. It classifies all cars into small, medium, large and premium hatchbacks. Above this level comes the C1 (entry level) sedans -

C1 - Dzire, Indigo+Manza, Etios, Sunny, Verito, Fiesta Classic, Ambassador, Accent, Aveo, Scala

Price is not the only factor, for a hatch to be considered premium in India.

IMO:

It's the positioning of the car in the market, and the features and quality that it is loaded with, that gives it a premium tag. The Jazz, i20, Polo, Punto, etc. come loaded with features and quality that is expected in their sedan counterparts, like the City, Verna, Vento and the Linea respectively.

Basically, a premium hatch, in India, is a hatch that provides the same levels of quality, space, power, etc. at a marginally lower price than its sedan-sisters.

In comparison, the A-Star, Beat, Figo, i10, are small hatchbacks, perfect for the city and the rare highway outing. They aren't really 'premium', barring the i10, because of the sheer number of features it comes with.

In reality, however, real premium hatchbacks aren't sold in India. The Golf, the BMW 1-Series, the Mercedes A-Class, Audi A1 are all premium hatchbacks. The ones in India are just Superminis.

In my point of view. Vista should fall under B2 segment. It has all class leading features in it.

In market Vista is the tough competitor to Swift and Liva. Then how come the Vista falls in different segment?

Thread Starter #12
In my point of view. Vista should fall under B2 segment. It has all class leading features in it.

In market Vista is the tough competitor to Swift and Liva. Then how come the Vista falls in different segment?

The main reason for putting Vista in B1 is its price. In total, there are some 20+ hatches available in the market in India. Just by super rich premium features, we can't classify a hatchback as B2. In that sense, Hyudai EON will be on par with any car in the B2 segment given its features. Therefore, the major differentiator here between the various segments in hatchbacks is price.

IMO - the best way to segregate the hatchback cars in india should be by price ranges. For example, 1.5-2 lakhs, 2-3 lakhs, 3-4 lakhs, 4-5 lakhs, 5-6 lakhs, 6-7 lakhs and 7-8 lakhs. All these 20+ hatchbacks will fall under one or the other above brackets. And people can decide on the car of their choice in a given bracket (price range) by looking at other features like exterior looks, power, engine strength, reliability, interior features, ASS and Maintenance cost.

Last edited:
If figo and swift comes under b2 segment then vista definitely comes under b2 segment.. No doubt.. Please don't degrade the vista as it is a Tata. Indica falls in b1 segment, I agree. But Vista surely comes in B2 segment.

The main reason for putting Vista in B1 is its price. In total, there are some 20+ hatches available in the market in India. Just by super rich premium features, we can't classify a hatchback as B2. In that sense, Hyudai EON will be on par with any car in the B2 segment given its features. Therefore, the major differentiator here between the various segments in hatchbacks is price.

IMO - the best way to segregate the hatchback cars in india should be by price ranges. For example, 1.5-2 lakhs, 2-3 lakhs, 3-4 lakhs, 4-5 lakhs, 5-6 lakhs, 6-7 lakhs and 7-8 lakhs. .
Thank god it is just your opinion.
In my life cars I have seen are compared with engine size or total dimensions (wheelbase) basically, not by price only.
Prices will vary regionally and it will create a lot of confusion as it has happened here already.

Thread Starter #15
Thank god it is just your opinion.
In my life cars I have seen are compared with engine size or total dimensions (wheelbase) basically, not by price only.
Prices will vary regionally and it will create a lot of confusion as it has happened here already.
Well, the segments that i have arrived are not my creation. Its something which the market is following. I have no personal bias against the Tatas. Its the market which has come up with these segments of A, B2 and B2 for hatchbacks. Am just quoting what the market says. I have no issues with Vista being part of the B2 segment.

To put all arguments to rest, check this official link for the prices of Vista - Vista Get Price

The lower end petrol vista onroad price starts below 5 lakhs and the top end price is below 6 lakhs even in a city like bangalore where the prices of road tax are the highest in india.

So these segments like A, B1 and B2 are market created and not mine. Its based more on price bracket rather than anything else. Am not comparing the specifications of Vista with any B2 segmented car here. If market is bracketing Vista as a B1 segment car and its able to win rave reviews and surpass the B2 segment cars, great for Vista.

Top Bottom