Audi Replaces Rear View Mirror with Mobile Phone Inspired Camera!

Thread Starter #1

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
SYDNEY: Audi appears to be the first car maker that is prepared to jump across the digital divide, replacing the reflective glass of the rear-view mirror with a large and glowing mobile phone screen.

The technology comes straight off the racetrack, with large LCD screens featuring in Audi's R18 Hybrid and Ultra race cars that dominated the 24 Hours of Le Mans race earlier this year.

In another digital first, the electronic rear-view mirror will feature in the R8 e-tron, the road-going, battery-powered version of the R8 two-seat sports car due to appear in its production form later this year - but this has not yet confirmed for Australia.

The German luxury brand says swapping the traditional mirror for the camera-fed digital version introduces a host of benefits for drivers.

"A control unit produces a consistent high-contrast, brilliant image," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted the car maker as saying in a statement released overnight.

"During the hours of darkness the intelligent control system prevents dazzle from the headlights of other vehicles. The driver can dim or deactivate the display at any time.

"Audi is also working on incorporating additional information on the monitor in future," the car maker said.

The R8 e-tron will use the electronic mirror because unlike the conventionally-engined version, it has no rear window.

Instead, the battery-powered car has a big bank of aluminium cooling fins that help to cool the electronics and batteries that lie in the space occupied by the engine in the conventional sports car.

A rearward-facing camera will be mounted in a special housing at the rear of the car.

According to Audi, the organic materials used in the digital screen - adopted from mobile phones and much more advanced than a laptop screen - can glow at night under very low power, eliminating the need to provide a back-lit screen once darkness falls.

The car maker added that the system is also smart enough to be able to digitally filter out the bright headlights of following cars.

350Z

Core Team
This technology is not new. I have seen some concept cars with digital rear view mirrors. Perhaps Audi is going to be the first one to implement it in production model.

2012-Audi-R8-e-tron-digital-rear-view-mirror.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

out of curiosity - even a polaroid rear view mirror will dazzle the headlights? apart from being a LCD/mobile screen, having other display info about car how different is this?

Thread Starter #5

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Won't this cause difficulty in looking ? In traditional rear view camera only some outside objects seems to move but this will cause continous movements of objects ? I hope you understand what i'm saying.

not to forget there will be a lag in the imagery. not huge but two to three seconds lag can be disastrous.

Won't this cause difficulty in looking ? In traditional rear view camera only some outside objects seems to move but this will cause continous movements of objects ? I hope you understand what i'm saying.
But some seat 3 persons on rear seat & head of person sitting in between comes bang in between, which means almost 0 rear visibility. Once cam is there, no matter if there is one head or you put a Ravan (10 heads) there. [lol]

not to forget there will be a lag in the imagery. not huge but two to three seconds lag can be disastrous.
This is not M & M cameras to lag [lol]. If they are using it in F1, it has to be real time only.

Thread Starter #9

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
But some seat 3 persons on rear seat & head of person sitting in between comes bang in between, which means almost 0 rear visibility. Once cam is there, no matter if there is one head or you put a Ravan (10 heads) there. [lol]
dude what are you saying [lol] the camera is fitted outside the car and not inside. check the 2nd pic that 350z posted.

Thread Starter #11

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Yep, I was saying how cam is better than mirror, whose vision gets obstructed by someone's head.
ah sorry i misread. [:D] and yes i agree. there will be no chance for zero visibility but there can be one more problem.

in rains , mostly all car's reverse camera becomes dirty & foggy and one faces problem in reversing. don't know what will happen in this camera.

bhvm

Honoured Member
good move, could've come long back. during my school years, I rigged up a Security camera and connected to a DVD screen inside the SUV.

that was my safari and the rear Spare wheel was making it difficult to watch the reverse. thee DIY worked like a charm and was ultimate blessing. Security Cam was aspect night vision compliant so I could enjoy night rear view without the annoying glare of headlights. I totally forgot the conventional mirror after this mod'!

@allhyundaicars, just. like cars used to come wish rear wash and wipe, small wash will come for cameras!

Top Bottom