2012 Mazda RX-8 Spirit R (Japan)

Thread Starter #1
The production of the Mazda RX-8 ended in June 2012 and the RX-8 Spirit R was the final special edition model that Mazda initially intended to make 1,000 units to mark the end of the RX-8.

Today, Mazda has decided to extend production of the Mazda RX-8 SPIRIT R by 1,000 units due to a large number of orders. Orders for the special edition RX-8 SPIRIT R are from a variety of customers of all ages including sports car fans and rotary engine enthusiasts. The 6-speed manual transmission version is proving most popular, constituting 66% of orders. It features aero parts and Bilstein dampers as well as RECARO bucket seats and 19-inch bronze-painted forged aluminum wheels. Orders are almost equally divided between the three available body colors, Aluminum Metallic, Sparkling Black Mica, and Crystal White Pearl Mica.

Attachments

But power of engine will be same ?? And why its named spirit R ?? What does R stand for ??

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
There you go mate :)

Base modelsRX-8 Type RS (with six-speed manual transmission) and RX-8 Type E (with six-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission)Special equipment for Spirit R :
For both manual and automatic transmission models
  • Exclusive SPIRIT R badge
  • Front headlights, front fog lights and rear combination lights (with black bezels)
  • Front and rear brake calipers (red)
  • Transmission tunnel trim (piano-black)
  • Curtain and front side SRS airbag system
Exclusive to the manual transmission model
  • Specially-made SPIRIT R bucket seats from RECARO
  • 225/40R19 89W tires and 19-inch alloy wheels (bronze)
Exclusive to the automatic transmission model
  • Leather seats (black with red stitching)
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel (black with red stitching)
  • Parking brake lever (with red stitching)
  • Center console box front seat armrest and rear console box lid covered with synthetic leather (with red stitching)
  • Sports suspension, larger brakes
  • 225/45R18 91W tires and 18-inch alloy wheels (gun metallic)
Exterior body colors
  • Aluminum Metallic
  • Sparkling Black Mica
  • Crystal White Pearl Mica
As long as power is concerned engine remains stock , its just the tranny changes

Mazda’s 45 year history of using the rotary engine to power its cars is over. On Friday, the last RX-8 rolled off the Mazda production line in Hiroshima, signaling the end of an era, as it set them apart from other, more mainstream manufacturers, from the 1970s onward. However, by 2003, it was only powering the RX-8 - the last Wankel-powered car to ever be produced (probably).

While I could shed a tear for the loss of the rotary, we need to be aware of the fact that, despite it being considerably more powerful than engines of similar displacement, it could never match conventional engines’ fuel efficiency and emissions figures, and these two aspects alone are the only two nails holding the Wankel’s coffin together.

However, we need to keep in mind that while the rotary will not power any future Mazda car, it may still be used by the Japanese manufacturer as a hydrongen-powered range extender for its future hybrids, so there's a chance that it won’t be completely forgotten by history.

Thread Starter #5
I am not surprised to hear that.
I have driven RX8's myself and my mates own ( 2 mates have that)

There are so many problems with the engines.

1. not efficient
2. not reliable

Rotary engines are high reving engines , and because of this eveyr 100,000 KMS engine has to go thru a FULL REBUILT because the valves and some other internal parts worn out.

The cost of getting this done is $5000 odd.

Spirit R 2012 were the last batch and it was obvious to put an end to rx8. I wonder what Shinari got under the hood.

Top Bottom