Petrol and Diesel Vehicles To Be Banned From 2030 in Germany

Thread Starter #1
Germany is about to ban the Petrol and Diesel vehicles from 2030.

2016-mercedes-generation-eq-concept.jpg
In a surprising decision, the federal house of the German Government, the Bundesrat, or the house that represents all the 16 German states has voted to ban the sale of any petrol or diesel powered vehicle from the year 2030. This ban will follow a set of higher taxes for internal combustion engines that will aid to hasten their departure. The German Government also called on the EU to extend the ban to the entire European Union and not just the country of Germany and to allow only Zero Emission vehicles to be sold post 2030. Cars made before 2030 will still be allowed to ply unhindered. Although this resolution by itself has no implications on the way the EU takes a decision, Germany's stature in the EU as the largest economy has successfully shaped Europe's regulations.

Although most EU countries, especially Germany will cope with this ban rather easily considering the sheer infrastructure that supports electric cars already in place and ever expanding, the global implications will be far more important. Automotive manufacturers like the Daimler Benz Group and of course the Volkswagen Group who make global products for a wide range of countries might have to rethink their strategies in terms of research, development and of course, manufacturing of the future internal combustion engine cars.

India, where diesel is still a major chunk of all new cars sold could position themselves as a global research and development hub for groups like Volkswagen which might mean better products for the Indian market too. Of course, countries like China and the United States will also play an important role in petrol powered vehicles as both are small diesel markets. That said, China's policy driven push towards electric cars in parallel to internal combustion engines might also make it a global hub for many European automakers.
Source: ndtv

This is a great move to save the environment!. Though there is more space to improve because of the limitations in current battery technologies in electric vehicles, I hope it will encourage the manufacturers to invest more in their EV R&D

Now this is what I call a sensible ban[;)]
This is sure to spur the growth in the electrics department which is inevitably necessary because no matter what we do, in a few years, petrol and diesel will be no more.
Now coming to the sad part. Implementing in India[frustration] Why sad?
1. Sluggish to change government.
2. Corruption- need I say more?
3. Govt. will try to sell petrol and diesel at insane prices and people will ignorantly prefer that over buying an electric car which is gonna need more than a ban to convince the people.

Thread Starter #4
Now this is what I call a sensible ban[;)]
This is sure to spur the growth in the electrics department which is inevitably necessary because no matter what we do, in a few years, petrol and diesel will be no more.
Now coming to the sad part. Implementing in India[frustration] Why sad?
1. Sluggish to change government.
2. Corruption- need I say more?
3. Govt. will try to sell petrol and diesel at insane prices and people will ignorantly prefer that over buying an electric car which is gonna need more than a ban to convince the people.
2. Even though if it is implemented in India, as you said corruption plays a major role and we would be getting cars at a higher price post subsidy.

3. My suggestion is when this ban comes to India, instead of using a private vehicle we must be using public transport which in turn reduces traffic to 60 - 70% when this is carried over by many people.

Top Bottom