Tata Bolt EV: First Look

Thread Starter #1
Surprise...Surprise...Surprise....In India, rumor is TATA going to discontinue Bolt hatchback but surprisingly in UK Tata testing Bolt EV [clap].
Hope TATA will launch it in India soon.

View attachment 209935

View attachment 209936

View attachment 209937

Reviewer seems to be mighty impressed with the space and the interior quality.

Source : Bolt EV – road test of this brand new electric prototype [First look] | The Red Ferret Journal
Team BHP.
First of all thanks for sharing.

I would say Tata bring it on, it will kill Mahindra e2O and Verito electric market, though it is minimal.
I can see an Automatic gearbox, hope it pop up when we start the car (same as JLR cars).

It is a nice effort from the TATA Motors but the exteriors must be totally different from the standard Bolt so that there will be many heads turning to it on the roads for its presence and still being EV it is silent but being silent alone can't be the difference to the road siders but it must be something different that even a non-auto enthusiast must be able to differentiate it with the present Bolt then sales of it will be unbelievable for TATA itself.

I don't think India is ready for EV. Poor sales of other EV models lend credence to this fact. Our poor and erratic electricity supply- even in metros- don't inspire EV ownership. If TATA can develop super chargers infrastructure a la Tesla, it would go a long way in promoting EVs and give a distinct advantage to TATA EVs. If Government too pitches in with aggressive tax advantage to EVs, EVs may do a decent number. At present the seconds market for EVs is non-existent. This situation too can be remedied by buy back program. In short a lot of investment in supporting infrastructure and strategy is needed for EVs to succeed.

Thread Starter #6
It is a nice effort from the TATA Motors but the exteriors must be totally different from the standard Bolt so that there will be many heads turning to it on the roads for its presence and still being EV it is silent but being silent alone can't be the difference to the road siders but it must be something different that even a non-auto enthusiast must be able to differentiate it with the present Bolt then sales of it will be unbelievable for TATA itself.
Yes Mithra, I agreed with. When I see this news first time I also think like at least it should be different form regular vehicle. The presence should look like EV.

Some more information from MotorBeam

The 80 kW electric motor has an approximate range of 100 kms on full charge. The motor is paired with a single-speed transmission that powers the front wheels. 0-100 km/hr acceleration comes up in under 10 seconds and the top speed is 135 km/hr. This is a zero emission Tata Bolt currently under study.
The interiors are exactly the same apart from a few electric car related changes. The instrument cluster now gets the addition of a new dial replacing the tachometer that now displays the battery status. You will also notice the Jaguar Land Rover borrowed rotary knob dial instead of a gear lever, which looks quite cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if TML introduces an EV in India. Being a Tiago owner, I answered a survey from them (conducted by JD Power Asia on behalf of TML) earlier this week in which one of the question was if I will be interested in battery operated cars in future. And if they do bring EV's here, my guess would be a Tiago variant which fits the bill perfectly from a cost/segment perspective.

Last edited:

Top Bottom