Another Emission Scandal. Now From Mercedes-Benz?

Thread Starter #1
Source : HBSSLaw

From the source :

In the wake of the major scandal involving Volkswagen and Audi diesel vehicles
evading emissions standards with the help of certain software that turns off emissions controls
when the vehicles are not being tested, reports now indicate that Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC’s
(Mercedes)’ so called “Clean Diesel” vehicles emit far more pollution on the road than in lab
tests. Real world testing has recently revealed that these vehicles emit dangerous oxides of
nitrogen (NOx) at a level more than 65 times higher than the United States Environmental
Protection Agency permits. The Mercedes “Clean Diesel” turns out to be far from “clean.”
WTH! All the details are leaking one by one. But I didn't expected this from MB!! I don't know if the source is even genuine but it looks so! Guys, what do you think about it?

Re: Another emission scandal, but this time, it's from Mercedes-Benz?

Good isnt it. That these frauds are coming out.

Its clear diesels cant keep up with the pace of regulations. Why else would the big heads like VW and MB do anything like this that would dent their reputation? The american fuel quality should be checked too. Historically Americans have had a big prejudice towards diesels.

Also petrol engine emissions should also be checked if they have not done it. Never believe the americans blindly.[;)]

As of now it is not like the Volkswagen case. Its a private lawsuit raised by someone in New Jersey against some of its models with BlueTec engines. The Environmental protection agency of America (EPA) has only requested the parent company Chrysler to produce emission data. Only upon receiving this EPA will start an official investigation. May be only a few cars/ batches must be affected.

Thread Starter #4
I don't think so @Lameassonwheels. Read the below!

Mercedes has programmed its
BlueTEC vehicles to turn off the NOx reduction systems when ambient temperatures drop
below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Mercedes has admitted that a shut-off device in the engine
management of certain BlueTEC diesel cars stops NOx cleaning under these and other,
unspecified circumstances. On-road testing has confirmed that Mercedes’ so-called “Clean
Diesel” cars produced NOx emissions at an average of 603 mg/km, which is 7.5 times the Euro 6
standard and 19 times higher than the U.S. standard. Some instantaneous NOx values were as
high as 2000 mg/km—25 times the Euro 6 standard and 65 times higher than the U.S. limit.

I am not surprised, when manufacturers themselves are agreeing on the fact that they are finding it hard to control diesel emissions and it's hard for them to meet the coming euro-6 emission norms, then these practices will definitely come into play.

This is the high time when ruling bodies need to limit the truck and tractor oil burning cars. Now what MB is actually saying is "yaa we pollute lesser for 6 months but for other six we will emit 60 times more"; wow!!

I still recall a couple of articles which used to state that many more cars from other brands than VW have been found emitting more on the roads than in labs. This is the high time the diesel lobby requires to be limited. When people can pay 20-30 lac for cars and pay 30-40k for EMIs, why can't they pay 2-3k per month higher for fuel? For a monthly running of say 1500 kms, a Honda CR-V which returns 9-10 kpl runs around 6-7 rupees per kilometer. A Fortuner/Pajero/Santa runs at around 4-5 rupees per kilometer. So basically someone driving 1500 kms a month pays hardly 3000 bucks more and gets a way better driving vehicle.

Last edited:

Top Bottom