VW Vento Exported From India: Gets 5 Star Safety Rating

Thread Starter #1
Vento - Made in India and exported to Latin American Countries gets a 5 Star safety rating ( adult occupancy)in recent Latin NCAP tests.

The safety equipment of the new Vento, such as both front seatbelts of driver and passenger, dual front airbags, anti-lock braking system, SBR and ISOFIX checked by the Latin NCAP.
There is no critical structure for the front passenger’s knees but, the drive knees faced the hard contact with the steering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFGCNMunBt8

Latin NCAP is more strict and difficult than Euro NCAP right? Or is it the other way round? It is a great achievement for the Vento any way. And do we get the same/similar structure in our Indian version also?

Sorry if some questions sound stupid. I am a noob in this area.

Latin NCAP is more strict and difficult than Euro NCAP right? Or is it the other way round? It is a great achievement for the Vento any way. And do we get the same/similar structure in our Indian version also?
No. Euro NCAP is stricter. Those Ventos are for exports only.

Last edited:
No. Euro NCAP is stricter. Those Ventos are for exports only.
Okay. I read more on this topic and got to know that the Indian Vento doesn't get some parts for body shell stability, which the export model and Indian Jetta get. Otherwise the Indian Polo and Vento both are pretty sturdy built cars and the Indian Vento even is much more heavier (weight) than the export model which is tested, so I don't think quality of the structure would have been greatly compromised.

Those Ventos are for exports only.
Well the 5 star is for export quality vento, what about the vento being sold in Indian market?
AFAIK, the Vento sold in India hasn't been crash tested yet.
Saarjis, I would love to have a documented proof showing the same. Please get me something that proves that the vehicles which have been through the tests are not the ones which we get in India. Please don't tell me the LHD or RHD thing, the weight difference in transferring the location of steering system is lower than negligible.

So until we have an official press release which states the same, I don't buy this fact that Indian and exported versions of chassis are different for Vento.

Okay. I read more on this topic and got to know that the Indian Vento doesn't get some parts for body shell stability, which the export model and Indian Jetta get. Otherwise the Indian Polo and Vento both are pretty sturdy built cars and the Indian Vento even is much more heavier (weight) than the export model which is tested, so I don't think quality of the structure would have been greatly compromised.
Source of information?

Coming to body shell, I have my own set of doubts on the fact that Vento is not such a large selling vehicle that economies of scale by any ways will allow VW to force its vendors to produce an entirely different chassis for just a thousand or two cars those sell in Indian market. In fact producing a weaker frame exclusively for a thousand or two cars will result in a higher production cost as compared to that of having the same chassis throughout.

Mathematics Time[evil]

Kerb weight of Vento: 1121-1233 kilograms (Source: ACI Magazine)
Weight of tested car (Including passengers - 2 adult dummies, one 18 months old child dummy and one 3 year old child dummy): 1387 kilograms
Report: View attachment Volkswagen_Vento+2_Airbag_en.pdf
Vento.JPG

Weight of adult (Male) dummy: 273 pounds or 123.83 kilos hence 546 pounds or 247.66 kilos Source
Weight of 18 month old child dummy: 11.22 kilos Source
Weight of 3 year old child dummy: 16.17 kilos Source

So total weight of dummies is 274.39 kilos

That makes a total crash weight (Excluding the weight of fluids additional to the ones in kerb weight, child seats and testing equipment (if any) for lightest variant of Indian Vento: 1395.39 kilos

Since that is heavier (Maybe they have used 15-20 kg lighter dummy for front passenger or maybe the car there is 1.2 TSi with manual, you never know) than the crash weight even when we haven't considered the weight of child seats etc, so we have no evidence to prove that the vehicle we drive here weighs lower than the one which is tested (Until NCAP guys have considered the front passenger as a 36-24-36 mother of the child dummies :tongue:). Additionally we can also see that the car being tested also hasn't got any additional hardware like 6 airbags or ESP, TCS etc.

I know VW has something wrong with the tail pipe but straight ahead putting them in the league of Maruti or Hyundai is not acceptable.

Last edited:
Saarjis,...... Please get me something that proves that the vehicles which have been through the tests are not the ones which we get in India. Please don't tell me the LHD or RHD thing, the weight difference in transferring the location of steering system is lower than negligible. So until we have an official press release which states the same, I don't buy this fact that Indian and exported versions of chassis are different for Vento........
Saarji,
VW India's deafening silence on this issue is proof that Vento sold in India is different from the tested Vento. VW would have flooded the press with the good news if Vento sold in India is the same as exported and would have touted it's 5 star ratings.

Team BHP thread regarding the same thing. Indian Vento doesn't get the ISOFIX Mounts or anchors which the export version gets.
Sirji even TBHP is also not made up of automotive R&D guys. These days we have IT techies making for a major part of forums and they have a limited knowledge of the concerned field.
Coming to ISOFIX mounts and anchors; I would love to know from the experts writing here and there that what difference does these ISOFIX points and anchors make on the structural strength of a car.

@Rselva:
Sirji if silence doesn't prove that the car is same then it doesn't prove that the cars are different either. I can agree on the possibility of having Indian version built of low strength material but I have my own set of doubts on it.
With the number of sales VW cars command, I really doubt if they will bother to have an another weaker platform for their Indian offerings. Sharing the same platform will cost them cheaper if we go by economies of scale and additionally the kerb weight, crash weight and even the equipment is same.
IMO in this case a conclusion can be reached only after a critical examination of everything. Numbers suggest the vehicles or at least chassis being identical and VW Indias' silence on the other hand sows the seeds of doubt. Hence I will keep myself stuck to my opinion from my experience of chassis design and minor understanding that I have, until we have some documented proof of the Indian car being different.

No Surprises that Vento got 5 star. I second TSIVipul views.

VW cars are knows for its build. Indian models are also not compromised in this regard. Have a look at one to feel it. I feel people in India do not miss any chance to criticize VW or Skoda. Please give credit where it is due.

Old Polo did not fair well at the test. They immediately started providing 2 airbags as standard in polo in India. This confirms how serious they are for safety. German cars are known for their build all over world and same is the case in India. I will go further and say that no one in India comes close to build quality of Germans. Please check one first and then decide yourself.

^^Sirji even Polo also scored 4 star safety rating in Latin NCAP, the car which we get in India and is built on the same chassis on which the export models of Polo are built. No wonder VW is selling safe cars here and they should get the credit for the same. I have seen accidental Ventos (Anyone can find them outside Daurala Police station on NH 58) both the cars were TDi and both were racing against each other when one of them hit a stationary truck and another one overturned jumping the divider and did more than 5 somersaults.
Result: Only one girl lost her life who was on the front seat of the car that rear ended truck (at passenger side only) and was not buckled up too. No matter how safe the car is, stupendously high speed and not buckling up will land the occupants in the arms of Yamaraj only.

@Rselva:
......Hence I will keep myself stuck to my opinion from my experience of chassis design and minor understanding that I have, until we have some documented proof of the Indian car being different.
VW uses MQB platform. Combined with flexible manufacturing, even low volume models can have different 'hats' and chassis strengths. In fact, pretty much every car manufacturer has flexible manufacture to manage an ever expanding matrix of car models with different strengths and varying sales volume.

German cars are known for their build all over world and same is the case in India. I will go further and say that no one in India comes close to build quality of Germans. Please check one first and then decide yourself.
[:)]True, except that they are still unable to provide a better A/C vent for years. It still remains fragile.[roll]

VW uses MQB platform. Combined with flexible manufacturing, even low volume models can have different 'hats' and chassis strengths. In fact, pretty much every car manufacturer has flexible manufacture to manage an ever expanding matrix of car models with different strengths and varying sales volume.
Sirji bring some finite element analysis, chassis data or any any kind of force analysis or some documented proof to support your words. If you can't then either accept the maths or try to find something to strengthen your argument. Let the numbers and facts speak man, tacts hold no value in this discussion.

MQB platform is just a part of the chassis but not the complete chassis, add some more members and your chassis is ready. Now sirji flexibility is good and applicable when you have a vast market demand which allows you to share the fixed cost of the plant between the weaker and stronger chassis by running them on either same line or different lines but if your market demand is not very wide then neither making multiple different chassis designs is profitable nor it is viable. Vendors are basically metal works companies (Say JBM etc) and if you want different chassis designs then you have to pay them higher.

Maruti can afford to do the same because of high volumes of Indian and well as Euro spec swift production but you think VW commands such a huge volumes to afford the same?

My argument is simple:
Numbers and basic business (Production) knowledge is what I am basing my argument on, yours is welcome.[;)]

True, except that they are still unable to provide a better A/C vent for years. It still remains fragile.
Do they help in safety or help in increasing the structural strength? Ehh.. they are an OT here.

Last edited:
.... My argument is simple:
Numbers and basic business (Production) knowledge is what I am basing my argument on, yours is welcome.[;)]
VW India in it's Chakan plant manufactures
Volkswagen Passat (2007-present)
Volkswagen Jetta (2008-present)
Volkswagen Polo (2009–present)
Volkswagen Vento (2010–present)
VW recorded a total production of 111,444 cars in the calendar year 2014. Assuming 40% of car is for domestic sale,there is no reason to assume the India specific body can't be different while still achieving profit on common platform.
Do they help in safety or help in increasing the structural strength? Ehh.. they are an OT here.
No that was a comment on their build quality [:)]

Top Bottom