Mercedes-Benz Overstates Fuel Efficiency With Gaps More Than 50%

Thread Starter #1
After VW, it's Mercedes s' turn to be in the news - Overstates Fuel Efficiency by more than 50%.

Mercedes-Benz topped a European lobbying group’s list of carmakers to overstate fuel economy for the second year in a row in an annual study that may receive extra scrutiny amid Volkswagen AG’s diesel-engine test scandal. BMW’s 5-Series and the Peugeot 308 produced differences between real-world and laboratory results of just under 50 percent.
Other vehicles consuming close to 40 percent more fuel than official results included the VW Golf and Renault SA’s Megane.

Vehicles built by Daimler AG’s Mercedes division used 48 percent more fuel on average than their published statistics claim, with gaps exceeding 50 percent on new A-, C- and E-Class models, Brussels-based Transport & Environment said Monday.
T&E based its figures on a 600,000-car analysis compiled by the nonprofit International Council on Clean Transportation
Following the Volkswagen scandal, the European Union is scrambling to assess weaknesses in a regulatory system that has laxer emissions tests than in the U.S. Environmental groups are pushing for tougher tests by 2017.

Mercedes Tops Study's List of Carmakers Overstating Fuel Economy - Bloomberg Business

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Mercedes Overstates Fuel Efficiency with gaps more than 50%

nothing surprising. I've seen NOT ONE vehicle that returns advertised FE. we have gaddhas (potholes) the size of craters and if that's not enough, we have tall speedbeakers.

I'd be interested to see if ARAI test track has potholes, speed breakers and beggars /cows roaming on roads.

What bhvm said is hundred percent true.ARAI is in sync with the automotive manufacturers (SIAM) to give 24 to 26Kmpl mileage certification.In real it will be 15 to 18Kmpl. If an enquiry in to the activities is done,like what happened with Volkswagen,all these people will be charged,for sure.

I'd be interested to see if ARAI test track has potholes, speed breakers and beggars /cows roaming on roads.
No test track is used.Testing is done on dynamometer. The Indian Driving Cycle is used as test procedure, which is asinine. The test lasts 19 minutes and total distance 'driven' is only 10 km! The average speed is about 31 kmph. There is of course no steering or breaking and the load is equal to 2 adults with A/C off. The fuel efficiency is not estimated by measuring fuel flow, but is estimated from emissionwith an emperical formula (no idea about the formula). I guess it would be way too easy for manufacturer to rig the test car to show insane fuel efficiency. I am sure the ECU mapping of test car and stock car will be as different as cheese and chalk.

Last edited:

Top Bottom