The WCOTY programme has been running since 2005 and has since become one of the most prized awards in the global automotive industry.
Judged by a panel of journalists from around the world, the 'of the year' award covers five categories: overall Car of the Year, the enthusiast-focused Performance Car, the high-rolling Luxury Car, the future-focused Green Car and, finally, Car Design.
The criteria for eligibility is long and varied. Crucial among them is that the cars must be available in at least five countries on at least two continents, before January 1 of the year of the award.
1. World Car of the Year finalists
2. World Luxury Car of the Year 2015: finalists
3. World Performance Car of the Year 2015: finalists
4. World Green Car of the Year 2015: finalists
5. World Car Design of the Year 2015: finalists
Now we have the lists of finalists and we’ll be getting a further shortlist of the top 3 cars in each category at the Geneva Motor Show in early March. Finally, the overall winners are declared at the New York Motor Show in early April.